FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: October.....Not Quite "Rocktober", But I'll Take It  (Read 3118 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
October.....Not Quite "Rocktober", But I'll Take It
« on: Nov 02, 2022, 06:15 PM »
Falls seem to be taking longer and longer to really kick in. 

I started with an outing on a large local lake that is normally good for a few solid holdovers for the wading crew by early in the month. I checked the water temp on a Sunday and found a favorable 58* in the shallows, deciding to make my first fall venture that Monday.  As luck would have it (or not), a wind shift had pushed some 62* water into the shore.  My efforts yielded sunfish only.  To make matters worse, the spinning outfit that I use for spoons was stolen from its resting place as I worked down the shore with my jig rod.  Not my best day, but it didn't cost me a king's ransom either.  I just hope that whoever thought it was a good idea to lift the outfit gets good use out of it and doesn't just deep six it.  God knows I would have used it until it was an antique ;)

Karma is a funny thing.  I often find that when I get nicked up in some way, the fishing roars back to turn things around.  This time was no exception.  2 days later, I sought cooler pond water at elevation and found it.  Not a fast start until I noticed a decent burst of surface activity down the shoreline. I made my way down and found dimpling smelt and boiling predators.  Splake it was, and some very solid ones at  that.  There was a non-stop hour before it slowed slowed down, with nearly 2 dozen fish giving my rod arm a decent workout :laugh:

My good fortune that day continued with a stop on some flowing water on the way home.  I was able to throw in a few decent browns to cap off the day.

Overall, splake dominated the action until very late in the month.  On one of those outings, I enjoyed using one of my grandfather's fiberglass spinning rods.  Stormin' Norman often enters my thoughts.  He passed in 1980, so using his rod to catch fish last month was a mystical, "River Runs Through It" experience.  I remember him using that rod when it was new and I was a young teenager.  It was featured in the 1967 True Temper catalog ;D

The month closed out with fast action on pond brookies.   Chucking spoons was all that was needed until the last week or so.  After that, the fish seemed to yawn at bright hardware dragged through water.  In addition, even these stocked fish go through the motions of the fall spawn.  Prime time for the egg pattern bite.  I can't recommend  this enough.  Sometimes it's sight fishing, but that often waits until later. In October, slowly working an egg pattern with a split shot across the bottom is pure dynamite.  Get into a drag, pause, lift, repeat cadence and expect  to stay busy ;D

By the end of the month, brookies had a slight edge over splake on the species tally card.  But on Halloween, this splake grabbed a mini orange egg off the bottom in 5-10 feet of water, strained my 5-weight, and stole the show.

Onto November.  October was light on browns and absent of salmon.  Hopefully, that improves, plus more sight fishing and a trip to NY in the works.  Tight lines to all 8)

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: October.....Not Quite "Rocktober", But I'll Take It
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2022, 06:25 AM »
Not bad Jim! The weather was definitely warmer in October than I’d like but you got after it pretty good. How big was that splake?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2022, 06:56 AM »
Love the fall colors.👍👍👍👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2022, 09:07 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  21".  I'm pretty sure it was stocked several truck years ago.

Not bad Jim! The weather was definitely warmer in October than I’d like but you got after it pretty good. How big was that splake?

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2022, 11:15 AM »
that big Splake looks like a good 3+ lbs! crazy! way to wrap up October Jim.  Fly rod bonus too! must've been a blast.

I've been fishing the local lakes/ponds, haven't landed anything yet but have hooked one (you know the species) and stung another (I've seen some BIG ones!)

I'm wondering how this mini heat wave comin' up is going to affect the fishing... I can remember 70* degree days in October in recent years but certainly not November...

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2022, 02:13 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

As a rule, I don't like warmer than normal weather in the fall.  And bright, bluebird skies never seem to produce well.  I bet when this weather finally turns to the way November should be and a bit snotty, there will be blitzes around  :-)

that big Splake looks like a good 3+ lbs! crazy! way to wrap up October Jim.  Fly rod bonus too! must've been a blast.

I've been fishing the local lakes/ponds, haven't landed anything yet but have hooked one (you know the species) and stung another (I've seen some BIG ones!)

I'm wondering how this mini heat wave comin' up is going to affect the fishing... I can remember 70* degree days in October in recent years but certainly not November...

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2022, 03:59 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

As a rule, I don't like warmer than normal weather in the fall.  And bright, bluebird skies never seem to produce well.  I bet when this weather finally turns to the way November should be and a bit snotty, there will be blitzes around  :-)
Can’t wait  ;D ;D

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Great report Jim.  Never thought about an egg in stillwater.  Will be trying.  Egg bite in the rivers here is just getting going.

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2022, 06:48 PM »
Thanks, Jon.  I hope the stillwater egg fishing also works for you!  Keep me posted.  I've noted that fishing a tight line with a BB right on the bottom rather than suspending the egg under an indicator has been working better for me.

Great report Jim.  Never thought about an egg in stillwater.  Will be trying.  Egg bite in the rivers here is just getting going.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2022, 10:27 AM »
Thanks, Jon.  I hope the stillwater egg fishing also works for you!  Keep me posted.  I've noted that fishing a tight line with a BB right on the bottom rather than suspending the egg under an indicator has been working better for me.

You're welcome. What's your thoughts on a beaded egg?  I have some without as well. 

Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2022, 01:16 PM »
I haven't tried going the beaded route, but it should work.  As far as another presentation, the other day I scraped up a few more fish with a squirmy wormy on bottom after the egg bite slowed some.

You're welcome. What's your thoughts on a beaded egg?  I have some without as well.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2022, 04:19 PM »
I haven't tried going the beaded route, but it should work.  As far as another presentation, the other day I scraped up a few more fish with a squirmy wormy on bottom after the egg bite slowed some.

Outstanding.  There's a pond near me with so many alewives its very difficult to get the holdover browns attention.  However I always caught a bunch near spawn time throwing rapalas.  This will be more enjoyable.

Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2022, 06:38 PM »
Have fun, Jon.  Show those alewife eaters something different  8)

Outstanding.  There's a pond near me with so many alewives its very difficult to get the holdover browns attention.  However I always caught a bunch near spawn time throwing rapalas.  This will be more enjoyable.

No Time To_Fish

« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2022, 12:01 PM »
Some good fall fishing there Jim!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.