FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Inline Weights vs Bottom Bouncers  (Read 2825 times)

JWHORF

Inline Weights vs Bottom Bouncers
« on: May 08, 2023, 06:26 PM »
I am looking to start trolling more for walleye (pulling harnesses).
What is everyone's preference for weight (inline vs bottom bouncers)?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Mac Attack

Re: Inline Weights vs Bottom Bouncers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 08:08 PM »
In-line if you aren’t near the bottom.

Bottom bouncer if you are.

Simple

JWHORF

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 09:04 PM »
Perfect. I like simple!

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 07:51 AM »
Yea, the inline creates less drag than the bottom bouncer, allowing it to go a little deeper when trolling.
However, if you slowed down to get it to run on the bottom, it would easily hang up on things.

The bottom bouncer, as its name implies, allows you to bounce along the bottom without hanging up on rocks and things.
The wire that extends down below the weight performs this function.

Again, hope this helps.

Ice Dawg

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

gotagetm

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 04:52 PM »
Used to make sinkers like that called “ slinky’s” just bought parachute cord cut a few inches pull center filling out seal one end by using a lighter or Match filled them with #8 lead shot heat sealed other end and ad a swivel

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 07:39 AM »
My wife likes to use worm harnesses with bottom bouncers, but we do it a little differently than some. I wouldn't call it "trolling" per say. We don't leave the rod in a holder like trolling. This is in the speed range from .8 to 1.4 mph. We jig the rod making light contact with the bottom on the down pause. I think the fish bite on the down swing and the rod loads up on the upswing. When the water is cooler like now the slow presentation works for us. Also, a slow death hook can be irresistible at certain times. If you want to add a dead stick or two use a longer noodle rod, as they are slow to load up and we don't miss as many bites.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 08:08 AM »
Used to make sinkers like that called “ slinky’s” just bought parachute cord cut a few inches pull center filling out seal one end by using a lighter or Match filled them with #8 lead shot heat sealed other end and ad a swivel
Slinky’s are  also used in the river drifting steelhead ,
You can also use leadcore or  snap weights for spinners

FrankM

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 09:02 AM »
My wife likes to use worm harnesses with bottom bouncers, but we do it a little differently than some. I wouldn't call it "trolling" per say. We don't leave the rod in a holder like trolling. This is in the speed range from .8 to 1.4 mph. We jig the rod making light contact with the bottom on the down pause. I think the fish bite on the down swing and the rod loads up on the upswing. When the water is cooler like now the slow presentation works for us. Also, a slow death hook can be irresistible at certain times. If you want to add a dead stick or two use a longer noodle rod, as they are slow to load up and we don't miss as many bites.
That's the way I like to use them. Hold the rod in my hand and troll at that slow speed slowly raising and lowering to tickle the bottom. I call it trolling and have been doing it that way for the last 45 years. I have big planer boards, small planer boards, all kinds of dipsys and jet divers and I never use them. Nothing but aggravation and a waste of money. I love fishing old school and feeling the elusive walleye pick up my crawler harness. Since I got my I-Pilot it's even better. I let the Minn Kota drive and I got both hands free to fish.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 10:22 AM »

This is one method we use fishing for eyes up in northern Canada.
Very productive, and as Frank said, it allows you to "feel" the bite.
And it's really crazy when a nice large pike grabs it when you have the rod in your hands.

JWHORF

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 01:58 PM »
I appreciate all the input.
Looking forward to trying out some of these techniques this weekend at Onieda!

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2023, 06:13 AM »

Back in my days of trolling I used these, came in different weights. Worked well back trolling Lindy Rigs. Never tried bottom bouncers. I also used the Lindy In-lines some. I still use the Gapen Bait walker if I fish in current early in the season. Anchor, put one on with a minnow on the drop back. Water is usually cold so the walleyes aren't very active, they look at long enough they will hit....h2l

iceman260

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2023, 06:50 AM »
Bottom bouncers have contributed to many walleyes in my boat.

slamber

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2023, 08:17 AM »
In-line if you aren’t near the bottom.

Bottom bouncer if you are.

Simple

I use both systems and they both work well, just depends on where the fish are. I use clip-on weights instead of in-lines for suspended fish but they both accomplish the same thing; Just easier to adjust your weight with clip-ons. I do use the small Lindy slip sinkers if I'm drifting with harnesses but again I include a clip above the harness so I can easily switch weights.

JWHORF

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 07:02 PM »
Update....
I fished using 2 oz bottom bouncers with crawler harnesses at Onieda Lake over the weekend and I would call it a success.
We ended up catching 10 walleye and a bunch of nice perch.  However, only 2 of the eyes were keeper size.

Thanks for the help.
I appreciate it.

Thanks
Jeremy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.