FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: spinning reels  (Read 4415 times)

iceman260

Re: spinning reels
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Shimano cl4+ and Sahara's also have some phluger presidents and trions.

touge30

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2019, 09:10 PM »
shimano thunnus 4000 series pricey pricey as hell.Small enough for fresh tough enough for light salt bait runner to boot.If you can afford it buy it.

oatkasut

« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:04 PM »
I can't wear out my Garcia Mitchells, the ones with the metal gears(50 years old)! ;D ;D ;D ;D

jperch

« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:36 PM »
I can't wear out my Garcia Mitchells, the ones with the metal gears(50 years old)! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I agree, all my panfish rigs sport Mitchell 408s, they can still be found in great condition.  People collect them.  I like the Pflueger President reels on bass/walleye outfits.

chrony59

« Reply #19 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:12 AM »
I sure did …………. went through numerous sets of main drive gears on my old 408's (1975) ……..they went from worm or angled gears to straight which helped but between that and breaking bail springs I went with Pfluger Presidents ! The 408's were worn out on Oatka Creek !!

jperch

« Reply #20 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:30 AM »
The 408 bail springs can be had for cheap on Ebay, never had any problems with the gears.  You must fish a lot more than I do!  Those reels have taken a lot of abuse from me and still going strong.  Mostly mine sit atop ultralight poles for perch and have even used them for ice fishing in the past.  Now I use Tica reels for ice fishing.  They are smooth but have lots of plastic or graphite parts and I worry that they could break in very cold temperatures.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Yep, they are tough. I still occasionally use the Mitchell 300 I got on my 13th birthday. I hit 67 this year. Got it on a Fenwick 7' ultralight rod.

Swampking89

« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:00 PM »
I love my old Mitchell 300 reels.it was first spinning reel and I still use it ice fishing.drag still smooth as ever.easy to take apart and clean,not very many parts.love those old reels!!

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Have a couple phlueger older tions w/wood handles but the later cheaper ones not so great....need another reel so will be buying the president (just sold 10 doz walleye jigs so can afford it)
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

zwiggles

« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2019, 08:03 PM »
I agree with everyone mentioning the president. For the money it’s hard to beat. I’ve also had good luck with the shimano Sahara’s, but everyone raves about the stradic’s. If money isn’t an issue or you regularly burn out reels a Stradic ci4 would be tough to beat from what I have heard. Next time I burn one out I’m going to splurge for one of those.

NYSportxman

« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2019, 08:37 AM »
I agree with everyone mentioning the president. For the money it’s hard to beat. I’ve also had good luck with the shimano Sahara’s, but everyone raves about the stradic’s. If money isn’t an issue or you regularly burn out reels a Stradic ci4 would be tough to beat from what I have heard. Next time I burn one out I’m going to splurge for one of those.

I agree with the ci4.  I have 2 last gen ci4+fa 3000 and 4000.  Bought them on sale 2 years ago for 150 a piece, as they were discontinuing them for the newer ci4 fb.  They're doing the same thing with the FKs right now.   Stradic fk 2500 are on sale right now for 149.99 at reeds sports.  Free shipping and no tax.  I picked up a size 3000.

Still not cheap, but that's a great price for an awesome reel.

Johnnh

« Reply #26 on: Jul 19, 2019, 11:52 AM »
I still have my mitchell 300 that my mom gave me for my 13th birthday ( a very long time ago). Made in France, no plastic.  I lived in Shenorock, NY then and i went down to the lake after the party and caught a good sized largemouh. I brought it home and my grandmother cooked it for us. The reel is priceless to me since my mom passed 2 months later.

I have caught a ton of fish with that reel and often think back to how much that reel means to me.

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2019, 12:22 PM »

I have several Mitchell reels , and several models some are mine and the rest were handed down from my gramps and Dad plus several extra spools in the original boxes

fishinjohn

« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2019, 12:36 PM »
I have a pair of the Saharas and I LOVE THEM

zwiggles

« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2019, 01:31 PM »
I still have my mitchell 300 that my mom gave me for my 13th birthday ( a very long time ago). Made in France, no plastic.  I lived in Shenorock, NY then and i went down to the lake after the party and caught a good sized largemouh. I brought it home and my grandmother cooked it for us. The reel is priceless to me since my mom passed 2 months later.

I have caught a ton of fish with that reel and often think back to how much that reel means to me.

Sorry for your loss johnnh, but that’s a really neat memory to have.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.