FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Can you feel it...  (Read 1640 times)

LundProv

Can you feel it...
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Good morning... the past two days have been very refreshing when it comes to change.  If you had an opportunity to be outdoors or go to church yesterday, you can absolutely feel the transition of seasons, both outside and in the sanctuary.  For the past few weeks, we have all been exposed to true winter weather with cold temperatures and significant snowfall.  We are tough and we are seasoned and we have been through this before.  In spite of our experiences, this type of season and weather takes its toll on your energy level, mood and approach and attitude to your day.  This influences the sphere of relationships around you.  With our technology, in watching the 10 day forecast over the past few weeks, I would find myself anticipating when it would be above freezing.  I am really tired of shoveling snow, day after day.  I can shovel a day here and a day there, but day after day was getting old.  This past Saturday afternoon, I dragged the ice fishing sled out back and slugged through the almost knee deep snow, out to my location on the bay.  After drilling holes and setting up the Garmin, the crappies and gills were cooperative and almost seemed happy to see me.  I think they sensed, I was not cleaning fish that day, so it was all catch and release.  But with my pull over shack positioned 1/2 open, I witnessed the most beautiful sunset and overall enhancement of the environment around me that I had neglected to notice recently.  I live just off Rt 30 and during the winter season, with the tree leaves gone, we can hear truck traffic at times.  On this afternoon, while enjoying the sunset and noticing the breeze, I heard no trucks.  All I heard were song birds, almost announcing the transition to warmer temperatures.  One of the unique joys of ice fishing near spring is the focus on the sounds of the birds in the background.  The promise of a more mild season with longer days and opportunities to enjoy the outdoors continues.  Walking back to the house, I stopped from time to time, not only because I am getting too stinking old to trudge through this snow, but also to take in the symphony around me.  I couldn't wait to share with my wife what I sensed.  Yesterday at church, attendance was way up with most every other pew filled as it can be with these social distancing guidelines and the volume of voice during hymns and songs of praise was off the charts louder than the several previous Sunday's.  You could easily sense the Spirit flowing and the camaraderie and fellowship returning amongst the Saints.  After several good, responsible discussions, on the ride home, my son calls me and suggests we go fish the ditch.  What a deal!  I get home and simply have to change cloths and dress warm, grab a spinning rod with a jig/twister and he pulls up in the drive with boat in tow and off we go.  After launching, we use the trolling motor and meander up and down the ditch and proceed to limit out on coho's and catch and release a couple of browns and steelies.  Afterwards, I back the rig down and he puts the boat on the trailer and back home we go.  We talked with several shore fisherpeople along the banks of the ditch and you could sense the Spirit of fellowship in the conversations.  Back to telling stories and grateful to see each other dominated the talk.  So, friends, opportunities are at the tips of our fingers and imaginations.  It won't be long, we will put away the shovels and the augers and transition to a wonderful new season.  I look so forward to what is next and with gratitude and anticipation, I hope you do also...

natahka72

Re: Can you feel it...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Good read!

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Nice. These tough winters make the anticipation of spring that much greater. I love the fact I live in a state that truly does get to see the changes of the seasons. I like looking and hearing for the tell tell signs of the change and your right, it's begun.

2LMKR2

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2021, 11:34 AM »
Great post!
It won't be long I'll be heading up that way. How is the snow melt and runoff doing? Is it going slow enough to not flood things and really hurt the fishing?

LundProv

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:03 PM »
A week ago, Lake Michigan, out of Portage was lock up and frozen in.  We fished the Ditch and did well.  I heard from a friend that went out this day and trolled from Portage towards Gary Light and then at Gary light and had 3 people on his 24' River North boat.  They had 4 limits of cohos and released many browns and a few lake trout.  I had the pleasure of being supervised by three beautiful little people, 6,4 and1 as we played outside, out back and threw rocks on the ice from shore and soaked up some sun.  My oldest boy and I went out on the ice this evening and caught several nice crappies and gills.  The ice is extremely sloppy but the sunset was breathtaking...   Things are good up here... real/reel good...  check out your gear and come on up and catch some...

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:28 AM »
60 deg here yesterday.  One could smell the dirt.  Been watching sandies for a week.  It's on the way

fish on,

rivereddy

2LMKR2

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2021, 10:58 PM »
A week ago, Lake Michigan, out of Portage was lock up and frozen in.  We fished the Ditch and did well.  I heard from a friend that went out this day and trolled from Portage towards Gary Light and then at Gary light and had 3 people on his 24' River North boat.  They had 4 limits of cohos and released many browns and a few lake trout.  I had the pleasure of being supervised by three beautiful little people, 6,4 and1 as we played outside, out back and threw rocks on the ice from shore and soaked up some sun.  My oldest boy and I went out on the ice this evening and caught several nice crappies and gills.  The ice is extremely sloppy but the sunset was breathtaking...   Things are good up here... real/reel good...  check out your gear and come on up and catch some...

Thanks for the report. I hope to be there this week. I always enjoy fishing there as soon as the snow and ice start to melt. It always feels good to look out and see open water again after a season of sitting on a bucket, looking down through a hole in the ice. ….. The changing of the seasons, always something great to look forward to!

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:18 AM »
I to enjoyed your post. Looks like around St. Patrick's day should be the week I put the boat in the by me.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2021, 01:11 PM »
Definatly a great post. Too many people are oblivious to the change. I've seen a pile of springs, and hope to see a few more yet.
I love this time of year. When I feel the warmth of the sun even if the temp is 28
The Cardinals are starting to sing on the sunny mornings. My boat is calling me lately. Yes friends we made it through another winter.

2LMKR2

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:35 PM »
Made it up to the ditch today, what a beautiful day! A little wind in the morning but it died down for the afternoon and the lake went calm flat and no ice anywhere I could see. Couldn't ask for a better spring day! I was shore fishing and started out in the river in the morning. It was a little muddy, but mostly just very stirred up with a lot of fine debris and very little visibility. Gave up and went out on the pier and fished the lake side. The water was a little dirty early then just a little chalky by afternoon. It was warm, sunny, light breeze, just a perfect spring day to relax and fish! The only thing that wasn't great was the catching! I didn't see a single fish caught all day! I wasn't even able to talk to anyone that saw a fish caught! Still a great day to be out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.