FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: shimano spirex or syncopate  (Read 24056 times)

d4ng3r3ux

shimano spirex or syncopate
« on: Jun 26, 2012, 06:55 PM »
I like alot the finger cast on these reels, I am aware of the spin back before locking.
anyone have used these reel?, if so share with me the ups and downs.
over at sail the spirex is 65$ and syncopate 30$ (cda)
thx

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: shimano spirex or syncopate
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2012, 07:16 PM »
I used to like those trigger things too. They lost me a bunch of fish on fumbled hooksets so I ditched them. It didn't take me very long to get used to a regular bail at all. I would rather eat bait than fish with another quickfire.... ;D

There is a reason they don't put quickfire on the higher end reels.

My final spirex finally died of a broken rotor due to it slamming on that internal stop. The Reel had ALLOT of miles on it before it failed though

See if you can find a Sahara or Sonora, they are both in the same price range as the Spirex, but have instant anti reverse. They are pretty smooth and have decent drag.

That Syncopate isn't a bad reel for that price though...

I don't care for the bottom drag on the reels I own that have it... Makes the reel more bulky. That is 100% nonobjective preference though.

NYSporty

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2012, 06:05 AM »
I'm with skipper I used one for a while but there was just too many missed bites due to the spin back and that trigger is just one more thing for the line to wrap on.
I bought a sonora 2500 this winter and love it I will be buying a 1000 soon.

JDK

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2012, 06:13 AM »
I have/had a Syncopate 2500FE for the last 3 years.  Only used it smallmouth fishing.  It came apart this year and is not worth fixing.  I like Shimano spinning reels but this one did not hold up well.

# SAND

OTIS

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2012, 07:51 AM »
That double handle on the Sprix drives me CRAZY! :-X  I really don't understand why they have that as an option.  At least throw in an extra single handle for the $65!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Lundin-loading

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2012, 10:05 AM »
I don't see the advantage of the flipper deal when compared to instant anti-reverse. The new siennas are decent reels, for my money I'd get a pflueger and ditch the flipper idea all together
Beauty

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 AM »
The "flipper deal" tightens the drag down when you get a hit, and they start to run.....I still have 5 of the Spirex on some of my Walleye rods. The Sahara's aren't a bad little choice, either. Have quite a few other Shimano reels, but if you want a panfish or smaller reel, my choice is the Pflueger President series. I have 2 of the different President sizes on my panfish rods, and all Pflueger Presidents in every one of my ice-rods. IMO, they surpass the Shimano for silkiness, instant anti-reverse, and castability. You can also get the rubber "thumb-pad" handle, or the wooden toggle handle. All mine were ordered with the pad handle.  That's just my .02..... ;D
"Time is here and gone"....The Doobies

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2012, 04:41 PM »
I am a shimano spinning reel guy, I have found nothing more durable or smooth. The trick is to stick with Symetry, Stradic, or higher grade reels. One thing that you always seem to get what you pay for is fishing reels. I feel value meets performance with the Symetry series, I could never see myself dishing out $600 on a freshwater sized Stella!! Thats crazy!

BIGJim223

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I love my Spirex's! Both are the rear drag/fightin' drag models, which is the reason I bought them in the first place. I use them mostly for jigging deep lake trout with 1oz and heavier jigs and find them to be ideal for me. They are on my ice rods in the winter also. I also have 2 Sienna's, rear drags (I am seeing a theme here!) that for the price (I paid $25 apiece for them) are great reels. Mine are on my walleye setups. I also have an old TX 1000 series from the early to mid '80's, rear fightin' drag model, that I use regularly and just landed an 11.5 lb laker on. I thought the drag was going to burn right out the way that fish ran, but did just fine, even after nearly 30 years!
  I am a Shimano fan! I am thinking about replacing the TX with a Syncopate 2500 model.

BIGJim223

d4ng3r3ux

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Thanks for all your input, Once I save up my money ill go for the spirex.  Right now im spending on a trailer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.