FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bullheads  (Read 4869 times)

62 & Done

Re: bullheads
« Reply #45 on: Mar 26, 2024, 09:07 AM »
Killdeers showed up this morning  That's a sign of spring for sure  Now if winter would just go away

catfisher

• Born to fish
« Reply #46 on: Mar 26, 2024, 11:13 AM »
 You can smoke them whole but be careful. Watch temperature. If you overcook they get mushy.

UofLcards

« Reply #47 on: Mar 26, 2024, 02:51 PM »
Killdeers showed up this morning  That's a sign of spring for sure  Now if winter would just go away

Funny you mention that - saw my first one of the year yesterday......

ECobb91

« Reply #48 on: Mar 26, 2024, 06:33 PM »
Anyone try smoking them? I think I'll give it a go.

My uncle smoked bullhead and suckers for a cookout one time. They were ok, but I’m also not a big fan of smoked fish

62 & Done

« Reply #49 on: Mar 29, 2024, 10:05 AM »
Still waiting on the weather. This week coming doesn't look like anything special, but I've got my fingers crossed for a fair evening. Probably have to wear the ice fishing duds.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 30, 2024, 05:54 AM »
i know last year i was catching bullheads on this date  i have to get the new truck ziebarted today but maybe i can go this afternoon ....last few years i been getting most of my bullhead in the day time
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

UofLcards

« Reply #51 on: Mar 30, 2024, 07:43 AM »
i know last year i was catching bullheads on this date  i have to get the new truck ziebarted today but maybe i can go this afternoon ....last few years i been getting most of my bullhead in the day time

Thats wild - I had 1 pond that was like that - I could catch them all summer too, they didn't taste muddy either .....in the lake I fish its only from dusk on though......if I could catch them during the day I would fish for them more often

62 & Done

« Reply #52 on: Mar 30, 2024, 09:45 AM »
I've tried it many times with nothing to show for it except a few dinky sunnies or perch. When I was a boy we caught them from grandma's beaver swamp but they were nasty. Tasted like the mud smells.
                     I gotta fish in the black ....Maybe during the eclipse ?

trapper2000

« Reply #53 on: Mar 30, 2024, 04:50 PM »
this is a lake and i catch them in the day time on oneida river as well...... i took the truck in to get ziebart to day so tomorrow i'll hit the lake see what happens ............ small water like beaver ponds you usually white bellys that taste pretty good  not sure why yours tasted bad

UofLcards

« Reply #54 on: Mar 30, 2024, 05:03 PM »
this is a lake and i catch them in the day time on oneida river as well...... i took the truck in to get ziebart to day so tomorrow i'll hit the lake see what happens ............ small water like beaver ponds you usually white bellys that taste pretty good  not sure why yours tasted bad

Yeah thats how they were in the pond I fished too - just the right size too -a few big clunkers but mostly medium sized that were fun to bring in as well as eat.

62 & Done

« Reply #55 on: Mar 30, 2024, 07:23 PM »
That was a loong time ago trapp     What I remember best was the older folks telling me and my cousin, DON"T bring any of those things home! Dad liked his fish so I think he had a pretty fair idea of what was edible.

UofLcards

« Reply #56 on: Apr 01, 2024, 10:06 AM »
For some reason my grandma used to love them - that was the only fish she asked me to catch ....they aren't very high on my list but ......to each their own.  Last few years that I went bully fishing the crappie were already biting so no bullheads were caught .... :laugh:

Badbrad2186

« Reply #57 on: Apr 01, 2024, 04:44 PM »
For some reason my grandma used to love them - that was the only fish she asked me to catch ....they aren't very high on my list but ......to each their own.  Last few years that I went bully fishing the crappie were already biting so no bullheads were caught .... :laugh:

That sounds like a good problem to have

62 & Done

« Reply #58 on: Apr 01, 2024, 05:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind that being a problem either.

trapper2000

« Reply #59 on: Apr 01, 2024, 05:57 PM »
bullheads are going not sure what your all waiting for

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.