FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NW Housatonic  (Read 1330 times)

bogtrotter

NW Housatonic
« on: Jul 14, 2018, 03:31 PM »
I fished the Northwest Branch of the Housatonic (along Waconah Street in Pittsfield) with my younger son this AM.

Sunny, blue skies, temps in the low 80's, and water levels on the low side.

We initially planned to target some small carp (which I had noticed when I scouted the spot a week or so ago) just below the dam, but all that seemed to be there (until just before we left) were sunfish and dace.

As we were leaving, my son "doodled" his bait in front of some crayfish to see if they would grab on.

As he passed over a car tire submerged in about 6" of water, a 9" rock bass exploded from inside the tire and seized his bait. Although surprised, he was able to land "the big fish" of the day.

We then tried the mud flats (about half the size of a football field) just above the dam.

The flats are extremely silty. So much so that, at one point, I sunk up to both thighs (fortunately while wearing chest waders) while attempting to cross the stream.

My son and I quickly spotted a half dozen carp swimming around like mini-torpedoes in shallow water (perhaps mid-calf deep), leaving a contrail of silt in their wake as they passed.

The carp (which I'd guess to be 2.5 to 3 feet long) were a lot bigger and more energetic than the ones that I used to fish for in Bemis Pond in Chicopee some 30 odd years ago.

Besides being larger and more vigorous, the carp were also a lot more finicky than I remembered from yesteryear.

For a half hour or so, my son and I cast hooks baited with pieces of corn without eliciting any reaction from the carp, although we did land a couple small perch between us during that time.

Clearly, we could have used some help from an experienced carp fisherman.

Finally, one of the carp took my bait - - but it did so suddenly that I was not prepared for it, and almost immediately snapped my line near the hook.

We stuck around for another half hour, but other than another small perch that my son caught, we did not have any more action.

This is definitely a worthwhile place for anyone seeking to target carp, although the shallow waters and mucky conditions make it a challenging spot to approach without spooking them.

lowaccord66

Re: NW Housatonic
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Way to get out Jim.  Sounds like an interesting day.

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Thanks, Jon.

Having not fished for carp for decades, I'm curious to see if anyone who regularly targets them has any suggestions of how to solve the puzzle (in terms of technique) of how to hook and land a good-sized carp under such challenging conditions (i.e., large area of shallow silty waters that makes it difficult to approach the carp without spooking them).

The obvious answer (i.e., just cast from farther away) raises its own issues given my own visual and casting limitations.

I'm probably spoiled, but on my typical trout fishing outing, I rarely need to cast more than 10 or 15 yards.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2018, 05:51 PM »
My brother used to do well drifting crawlers for them. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2018, 07:56 PM »
My brother used to do well drifting crawlers for them.

Really?  Now that's interesting, because most of the "conventional wisdom" that I have heard about targeting carp recommends using corn or dough baits for them.  I'll have to try "hedging my bets" next time I go by bringing both corn and crawlers.

(I've tried dough baits a few times over the years when I was a lot younger, but always had a hard time getting them to stay on the hook).

This latest experience was really a stroll down memory lane for me because I have not actively fished for carp since my early-to-mid teens back (at the risk of dating myself) when Reagan was President. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I agree Jim but corn and dough isnt whats floating down the river.  I think the key factor to nailing them is not spooking them.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2018, 08:24 PM »
cherries and mulberrys. fish with whats in season.
Wicked Wec

bogtrotter

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Thanks to all who replied. 

Some interesting food for thought, that I will have to try out the next time I go.

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2018, 03:40 PM »
My younger son and I got out for a while on the NW Housatonic in Pittsfield this morning.

Partly sunny, mid 50's.

We both caught a bunch of cookie-cutter dink perch. My son also caught a 14" carp (on part of a nighcrawler), while I caught a small bass and golden pond shiner (which I initially thought was a bass, but my son correctly identified on his I-pod when we got home).

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Sounds like a good trip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.