FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98839 times)

westernmas

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #120 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Spent close to 20 hours on the canal since Friday and Friday was the last day with fish caught. Lost a nice one Friday evening.  Saturday morning shoulder to shoulder and my buddy next to me got one around 20lbs on a jig. Only fish caught out of the 200 people I could personally see on Saturday. Sunday was nonexistent.

Guess the west end blew up on Saturday morning, like 430-8, but obviously I was closer to the other end.  I fish it when I'm heading that way so hopefully I can time it right next time.  Not to high jack the thread but I'd advise staying away from St. Croix Mojo Surf Rods.  My buddy was using one rated from 2-6oz and threw a 5oz jig to only have his rod snap right in half.  The top half went flying in the water.  It looked like it broke where the bottom section of the rod starts and the top section begins.  That's the 5th one I know of breaking in the last 2 years.  Just an FYI for those looking for a surf rod.  Things are garbage IMO.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #121 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Guess the west end blew up on Saturday morning, like 430-8, but obviously I was closer to the other end.
Well I can tell you that is a lie. I was fishing from the rr bridge to the bourne bridge cape side from 2 to 8 am saturday and nothing but small bluefish eating plastics and that 1 20lb out of all those people.

lowaccord66

« Reply #122 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Guess the west end blew up on Saturday morning, like 430-8, but obviously I was closer to the other end.  I fish it when I'm heading that way so hopefully I can time it right next time.  Not to high jack the thread but I'd advise staying away from St. Croix Mojo Surf Rods.  My buddy was using one rated from 2-6oz and threw a 5oz jig to only have his rod snap right in half.  The top half went flying in the water.  It looked like it broke where the bottom section of the rod starts and the top section begins.  That's the 5th one I know of breaking in the last 2 years.  Just an FYI for those looking for a surf rod.  Things are garbage IMO.

6th.  Same thing happened to a buddy.  I told him not to buy it and he did anyways.  Hate to say I told you so moment. 

Anyways...after fishing the Battenkill and being rather frustrated despite positive results I fished from 5-8 on the farmington and tightline bows browns and brookies.  Landed roughly 15 but nothing huge.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #123 on: Jun 24, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Nice work guys.
Wicked Wec

filetandrelease

« Reply #124 on: Jun 24, 2019, 01:00 PM »

Really nice brown Jon 👍

lowaccord66

« Reply #125 on: Jun 24, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Thanks guys!  It was a pain to get him.  1200 cfs waist deep...almost knocked myself over just to stand close enough to the current break he was in.   :)

lowaccord66

« Reply #126 on: Jun 30, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Next generation...we got out in the afternoon.  The town pond was lackluster and only had some bass follow.  Gills where nowhere to be found.

It took some waiting but an average afternoon of 4 trout turned into over a dozen when the iso hatch kicked in.

trophyhntr

« Reply #127 on: Jul 01, 2019, 06:59 AM »
well that's not good to hear. I have a st Croix on its 3rd year now at the canal. but its rated 3-8 so hopefully it'll hold up better

trophyhntr

« Reply #128 on: Jul 01, 2019, 07:03 AM »
the first rod I bought for down there was a tsunami, not sure on the model but it was around 150-$200. it didn't even last one trip.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #129 on: Jul 01, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Nice work Jon!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #130 on: Jul 01, 2019, 10:21 AM »

westernmas

« Reply #131 on: Jul 01, 2019, 10:44 AM »
the first rod I bought for down there was a tsunami, not sure on the model but it was around 150-$200. it didn't even last one trip.

I've got the lowest price Tsunami they have (triumph I believe) and I'm on about my 7th year using it.  Its a haul from here so its only used a dozen times a year at the most but its held up to fish to 45lbs and countless snags in the darn rocks.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #132 on: Jul 01, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Nice job Jon.  I unsuccessfully tried in MA on both Saturday and Sunday evening.  Saturday I broke off a big fish in the Chesterfield gorge but it was the only one I hooked.  I moved down stream and couldn't believe the amount of trout rising but I tried everything in my box and couldn't get them to hit.  Soft hackles, emergers, dries, nymphs and they just weren't interested in what I had to offer.  Sunday I went back and there wasn't a fish to be found.  The flow had dropped and I think they went elsewhere.  Either that or the beaver or swimmers put them down.  Westfield branches are low so I'll prob be transitioning to tailwaters.  Smallies are already showing up.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #133 on: Jul 01, 2019, 12:34 PM »
Some smallies by me as well.  They were slamming both iso's and sulphurs. I stayed subsurface and caught most of them on a caddis nymph.

lowaccord66

« Reply #134 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:04 PM »
No hatch tonight and a much slower but satisfying bite.  Fished 2 miles or so...landed 19 nothing huge.  Couple of really nice looking brookies. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.