FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: third time's a charm  (Read 1300 times)

TightLinesMaine

third time's a charm
« on: Apr 15, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Been a slow start for me for 2019 open water.  First outing on opening day, super windy and temps in the 30's - took a skunk, didn't try very hard.  Second outing, last weekend, tried a small stream in hopes of some natives, put the work in but no luck, still lots of snow/ice runoff (& beavers have taken over!  :cursing:).  Third outing, went back to the spot i tried briefly on opening day - success! caught a chunky male rainbow (i'd guess between 14" and 15") trout on my second cast fishing a bead head streamer (that i tied) with the 5 wt. fly rod.  He didn't fight super hard but he did take a dive and thrashed around few times, water is still super cold, mid-high 30*s if I were to guess (forgot to take a stream temperature with my thermometer unfortunately).

zwiggles

Re: third time's a charm
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:16 PM »
That bow has some nice colors on it! Sounds like your persistence paid off for you

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:23 PM »
Beautiful 'bow, Randall.  8)  Beefy!

I'd say you are spot on with your water temp estimate.  I'm finding 33-38* in the waters I frequent.  Some waters perform now and others don't turn on till later.  I've had success on 4 of my 6 April outings so far, but it's far from on fire.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Yep, been a slow start for us too. Our third trip was our best yet.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Beautiful 'bow, Randall.  8)  Beefy!

I'd say you are spot on with your water temp estimate.  I'm finding 33-38* in the waters I frequent.  Some waters perform now and others don't turn on till later. I've had success on 4 of my 6 April outings so far, but it's far from on fire.

Yeah, I find the best fishing doesn't happen until at least 45*F give or take, that being said I've also had "action" in 33*F with the little natives, just not this year.  Not surprised you're above the 50% mark  :laugh: I will get there eventually.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:48 PM »
I didn't catch my first natives till yesterday.  I know it's a bit early even for them, but unfortunately the overall declines have been apparent in recent years in quite a few brooks :P

Yeah, I find the best fishing doesn't happen until at least 45*F give or take, that being said I've also had "action" in 33*F with the little natives, just not this year.  Not surprised you're above the 50% mark  :laugh: I will get there eventually.

franklin fisher

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2019, 03:40 AM »
  Nice fish. I fished a small pond last weekend which is really just part of a large stream and the water temp was 39 degrees. Not a bite between 3 of us.

fish wayniac

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2019, 05:23 AM »
Randall, That Bow is a good start. Many more to come as things warm up.

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:00 AM »
That’s a beautiful one to start the season off with!
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.