FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 102724 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #825 on: May 06, 2024, 04:09 PM »
Congrats on the puppy!

westernmas

« Reply #826 on: May 07, 2024, 08:48 AM »
Thanks, he's going to be a handful.  Tried to corral him into the kitchen area but he jumped right over the baby gates.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

BassMaster12

« Reply #827 on: May 07, 2024, 07:46 PM »
Good stuff guys.

I second Jethro on being more of a lurker on here as over the last 2 years or so I've been struggling with the long rod, still determined though.

On that note, I've been considering hiring a guide for me and the old man. I've been doing some research and have a few in mind, but was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations?

I like exploring/ learning myself like with most of my other fishing rabbit holes I've been down, but I think a good guide would definitely help.

_Icecold_ on the shanty

westernmas

« Reply #828 on: May 08, 2024, 08:04 AM »
Good stuff guys.

I second Jethro on being more of a lurker on here as over the last 2 years or so I've been struggling with the long rod, still determined though.

On that note, I've been considering hiring a guide for me and the old man. I've been doing some research and have a few in mind, but was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations?

I like exploring/ learning myself like with most of my other fishing rabbit holes I've been down, but I think a good guide would definitely help.

There are a bunch of great ones in the western mass and CT area but depends on what you want to target.  The Harrison Brothers run Harrison Anglers out of the Deerfield watershed but they are now licensed in NY as well so they will hit the Deerfield, Hoosic, Housatonic, Millers, Swift, etc. for mostly trout but also do pike trips as well.  Another good one in the same area is Chris Jackson.  If you want one for the Farmington in CT I'd call Up Country and they can connect you with a host of different guides.  Further down in CT you can target more varied species like carp, smallies, as well as trout and pike and I'd recommend a younger guy Rowan Little.  He just had Tom Rosenbauer out and they slayed massive carp.  Jon can recommend some in PA and there is Master Class Angling if you are looking to go up to Champlain which has amazing variety.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #829 on: May 10, 2024, 09:39 AM »
On that note, I've been considering hiring a guide for me and the old man.

That's exactly what my old man and I did last year. 2 days with a guide at Grand Lake Stream in Maine probably was equivalent to 4 years of fumbling around. Worth every penny.

BassMaster12

« Reply #830 on: May 12, 2024, 09:44 AM »
There are a bunch of great ones in the western mass and CT area but depends on what you want to target.  The Harrison Brothers run Harrison Anglers out of the Deerfield watershed but they are now licensed in NY as well so they will hit the Deerfield, Hoosic, Housatonic, Millers, Swift, etc. for mostly trout but also do pike trips as well.  Another good one in the same area is Chris Jackson.  If you want one for the Farmington in CT I'd call Up Country and they can connect you with a host of different guides.  Further down in CT you can target more varied species like carp, smallies, as well as trout and pike and I'd recommend a younger guy Rowan Little.  He just had Tom Rosenbauer out and they slayed massive carp.  Jon can recommend some in PA and there is Master Class Angling if you are looking to go up to Champlain which has amazing variety.
Thanks for the input, a lot of those names sound familiar as I've been doing a good amount of research on google, all of them pretty much have great reviews from newbies to experienced fly guys. I live in Northern RI so Mass would make more sense, but don't mind driving further. There was one that seems to fish the swift a lot as well, I heard that river does well in the heat of the summer too. I have a place in NH as well but unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be as many guides in that area as I thought. Those white mountain streams have definitely humbled me lol.

But anyways, I think I have a great fathers day gift now we'll both enjoy once I nail something down. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to this thread in the next couple months.
_Icecold_ on the shanty

BassMaster12

« Reply #831 on: May 12, 2024, 09:47 AM »
That's exactly what my old man and I did last year. 2 days with a guide at Grand Lake Stream in Maine probably was equivalent to 4 years of fumbling around. Worth every penny.
Thanks Jethro, that's what my thoughts were. Hopefully help us correct new "bad habits" and gain some more knowledge.
_Icecold_ on the shanty

lowaccord66

« Reply #832 on: May 13, 2024, 10:34 AM »
Im going to be that guy and say guides are going to be more of a crutch vs a valuable learning experience...just going off my own time spent guiding.  A majority of the clients I took fishing only cared about 1 thing, catching.  That said less time spent on educating vs directing them on what to do to catch.

For those of you learning, determine what you want to fly fish for, where you want to fly fish, grab some beers and hop on youtube and start learning. 

Years ago when I wanted to learn euro nymphing I did just that.  I learned from all of the pro's and would learn something new and go apply it to my local waters.  I still do this today. 

Besides you'll want to save the money spent on guides for gear anyways!  I'm always willing to lend a hand to anyone who wants to meet up on the CT trout water. 

Im also starting to get excited for smallies on the fly. 

stripernut

« Reply #833 on: May 13, 2024, 09:47 PM »
Im going to be that guy and say guides are going to be more of a crutch vs a valuable learning experience...just going off my own time spent guiding.  A majority of the clients I took fishing only cared about 1 thing, catching.  That said less time spent on educating vs directing them on what to do to catch.

For those of you learning, determine what you want to fly fish for, where you want to fly fish, grab some beers and hop on youtube and start learning.

Years ago when I wanted to learn euro nymphing I did just that.  I learned from all of the pro's and would learn something new and go apply it to my local waters.  I still do this today.

Besides you'll want to save the money spent on guides for gear anyways!  I'm always willing to lend a hand to anyone who wants to meet up on the CT trout water.

Im also starting to get excited for smallies on the fly.

With my 30-plus years of guiding, many anglers were indeed more interested in catching than learning, Now that I don't have as many days available to guide,  most of the clients that I take are all about learning, that is by design as that is something I am told I am good at. The best that we can figure, one trip is worth about 3 years of figuring it out on your own... I have had a few clients who would hire me to show them (on different trips) different types of fishing. With 3 trips being where most angles are all set with the types of fishing they wanted to learn. It is very satisfying to be at a show and have someone come up to me and tell me that years ago I was such a big help to them... And when I have someone I guided when they were a kid and now they are in the "Trade" because they fell in love with the sport when they were out with me... You need to find a guide that is good at instruction and you will (if you show up to learn) wade away with a better understanding of what you are doing. That does not mean you can't learn a great deal on YouTube, and maybe if you have a hard time taking direction that would be better for you, but I know many anglers that have benefited from a guide...

Bartman44

« Reply #834 on: May 14, 2024, 12:02 PM »
I don’t have much experience with guides but I’m guessing it can be a tough business, especially for clients who just want to “catch” as I don’t have to tell you both that even the best of us can’t guarantee that the weather, or fish will cooperate on any given day. 

I do know that my son hired a guide in the Bahamas for bonefish (his first time chasing them) and he caught 3 with the guide and learned a ton about the location, stalk and gear that he parlayed successfully in other parts of the Caribbean.

His best friend recently hired an ADK guide to teach he and his wife how to fly fish and they caught some trout, learned the basics, and have since bought their own gear. They had a blast.

So I guess it’s what you want to get out of it, so you’re both right. I’ve always been one to try to figure it all out myself all these years but teach others what I’ve learned along the way.

Or you can just YOU TUBE IT now.   ::)

lowaccord66

« Reply #835 on: May 14, 2024, 01:39 PM »
The YouTube piece is the boring part.  Where the rubber meets the road is applying what is learned in the field....

Anyways, yesterday work was a total bummer so I hit the housatonic from 6 to 730 and the trout were more than willing.  Probably landed 15 or so most of which took a caddis pattern on the dropper.  Really enjoyable quick trip.  Only had to move around a little bit in a single pool.  Flow was 1040 which wasnt terrible. 

westernmas

« Reply #836 on: May 14, 2024, 03:05 PM »
I don’t have much experience with guides but I’m guessing it can be a tough business, especially for clients who just want to “catch” as I don’t have to tell you both that even the best of us can’t guarantee that the weather, or fish will cooperate on any given day. 

I do know that my son hired a guide in the Bahamas for bonefish (his first time chasing them) and he caught 3 with the guide and learned a ton about the location, stalk and gear that he parlayed successfully in other parts of the Caribbean.

His best friend recently hired an ADK guide to teach he and his wife how to fly fish and they caught some trout, learned the basics, and have since bought their own gear. They had a blast.

So I guess it’s what you want to get out of it, so you’re both right. I’ve always been one to try to figure it all out myself all these years but teach others what I’ve learned along the way.

Or you can just YOU TUBE IT now.   ::)

I think a guide will help shorten the learning curve.  I spent countless years getting skunked on the salmon river for steelhead.  There are a few tips and tricks I've learned over the last few years that seem to have made a big difference.  If I had a guide show me the ropes I think it could have meant more success early on but I'm also stubborn and like to learn things on my own.  Especially for new water or new species I think it will definitely benefit you.  But overall I feel like it is going to be what you make it.  If you approach with an open mindset and an appetite to learn then I think most guides will cater to that.  I'll admit I've only got a guide twice and it was alongside my girlfriend.  For the most part I let him deal with her tangles while the guides brought me to fishy waters, gave me new flies to try and applied some floatant.  But I'd even like to take a guided lesson for something like euro nymphing or even dry fly tactics as its something I haven't had the time to practice.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #837 on: May 14, 2024, 03:39 PM »
I did that Pat.  I went and fished with Dom from troutbitten to enhance my euro game and that was time and money well spent.  I was really more interested in learning penns creek to start and then when we got to the fishing the stuff he taught me has been in my bag of tricks since.

stripernut

« Reply #838 on: May 14, 2024, 03:44 PM »

That is why I have always guaranteed my trips, it takes the pressure off if for whatever reason, it isn't happening I just say maybe next time and everyone relaxes. Now out of a season with 140 client trips, I might giveaway 4... And most of those because they would not / could not set the hook when I told them to... My most popular trout trip these days is half the day fishing/instruction and half driving around showing the client where to fish and how to fish each spot. I most often include a map that gets marked up as we go, so they can find their way back...

Bartman44

« Reply #839 on: May 14, 2024, 06:25 PM »
Nice. Good philosophy as I believe fishing is much more than catching and although challenging at times, is relaxing and good for the soul. No pressure on the customers or you. 

Funny you mention the "hookset" as I just got back the other day from my annual Catskill fishing trip with my youngest son. My oldest son (who only fly fishes the salt) broke away for a day to join us and took instruction well. Good casting, mending, position, for the dry fly bite but we forgot to mention the hookset as the dry fly disappeared and snaped off on back- to- back big browns with a swoosh of a striper set on 5x tippet. After several snap offs, he settled in a did well.  Was a blessing sitting back and watching my boys in action.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.