FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lockport what a day!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3025 times)

Fresh-Water Freak

• Born To fish Forced to........Go to school
Lockport what a day!!!!!!!!!!
« on: Jun 27, 2006, 05:44 PM »
 Well headed down to Lockport today and through our lines in well all I can say is I was very surprised ;D ;D. I took a couple casts with a boober but nothing came so I hooked on a jig and a 1/4 of a crawler and hucked her out !!BAM!! fish on a little Drum again a little Drum again oh a little Sauger and again holy a massive Drum an inch away from master :o :o to be exact and that is how the day went on incredible action ;D ;D. Later towards the end I hooked my boober back on and had a hook probably a foot down with a quarter of a crawler  about 10 to 20 feet out and caught 10 goldeye in about 30 mins ;D ;D. So all toget her we caught about 100 fish probably 20 Sauger and 1 Walleye About 70 Drum 5 or 6 right on the cusps of being masters and 2 small cats :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Oh and another caught what looked to be a cross between a Drum and a Sucker I will try and get that pic up. ;D ;D And there was this other guy who got snagged so he gets off his shirt jumps in swimms about 50 yrds out and try's to get his snag undone WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! :o. I was yelling for him to get back but he just laughed and swam around trying to get it until finally he came back to shore. :blink: :blink: :cookoo: :cookoo:.

So that was hte key a 1/4 to 3/4 ounce jighead tipped with a 1/4 of a crawler and just huck er out and let it sink to the bottom ;D ;D
Keep the line tight should work great. ;D ;D ;D
NOTHING!! Beats The Feeeling Of Hearing That Drag Let Lose When You Set The Hook On Big Red River CAT!!

SK Justin

Re: Lockport what a day!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Oh and another caught what looked to be a cross between a Drum and a Sucker I will try and get that pic up.
That's not a possible hybrid, but I'm curious as to what the fish was when you get the picture up!

Sounds like a good day!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2006, 06:20 PM »
sounds like a fun day.  Maybe your mystery fish was a quillback?

Big Brother

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2006, 06:30 PM »
What kind of expensive lure did the idiot who went for a swim have on his line. Must have been very very expensive or had a lot of sentimental value?

Fresh-Water Freak

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:17 PM »
 I don't know what the fish was some people were saying it looked kind of like a hybrid who knows ??? ???. Oh can someone tell me how to post pics on here I have a scanner ??? ???. And BB guess what it was it was a 20 cent lead jig head with a tail man that is sad. :'( :'( :'(
NOTHING!! Beats The Feeeling Of Hearing That Drag Let Lose When You Set The Hook On Big Red River CAT!!

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2006, 10:00 PM »
Pages 4 & 5 might help with the identification - http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/fish/images/fishkey1.pdf - it doesn't go into detail on the various types of sucker or such as that though.

If you get the photo scanned, you have to upload it to the Internet.  If you don't have your own web page space, check out Photobucket.com and sign up for a free account.  You can then upload the photo, copy the IMG tags it supplies for the photo, and paste that into your post.

Derek

Fresh-Water Freak

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2006, 10:15 PM »
 Thanks Thirller I will do that when they get developed. ;D ;D I will give you the discription it was a tall fish[ belly to back] it had scales that looked kinda like a suckers but light more silvery coloured and it had one long skinny fin on it's back and behind was a much smaller straight fin like one a drum the one behind there spikes. ;D ;D ;D Does that help ;D ;D.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2006, 10:25 PM »
Wow, sounds like a great day on the river, way to go Fresh-Water Freak.  :thumbup_smilie:

Nice variety of species and numbers. :)

Is this your fish Fresh-Water Freak?

If so, you caught a quillback. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

SK Justin

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2006, 11:36 PM »
Thanks Thirller I will do that when they get developed. ;D ;D I will give you the discription it was a tall fish[ belly to back] it had scales that looked kinda like a suckers but light more silvery coloured and it had one long skinny fin on it's back and behind was a much smaller straight fin like one a drum the one behind there spikes. ;D ;D ;D Does that help ;D ;D.
Was the "skinny fin" and the "smaller straight fin" connected as in one whole fin, or were they separated?

It is sounding like it could be a quillback though.

Fresh-Water Freak

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:05 AM »
 They were together but instead of the small straight fin sloping up to the big fin it just ran into the middle of the big fin and the big fin came to more a point than in the pic. From everything here I think it is a stickleback. ;D ;D

perch pounder

• Keep on poundin'
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2006, 11:57 AM »
Sounds like a quillback .

I didn't know about these fish untill a few years ago when I got into a large school of them at Lockport too .

here  fishy , fishy , fishy.......

SK Justin

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2006, 02:14 PM »
From everything here I think it is a stickleback. ;D ;D
A stickleback. ??? They are only a couple of inches long, and have multiple separated spines.

Perch pounder's picture shows a better representation of a Quillback's dorsal fin. You could also do a google image search for some more pictures.

I don't think it was stated anywhere, but how long was the fish, and what type of mouth did it have - straight/downturned and teeth/no teeth?

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Looks like you had a terrific day out at Lockport.  WTG!  Midweek fishing, and I bet you didn't get "Lockported"  :D  Your big fish sounds like what the other guys said - a quillback.

Fresh-Water Freak

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2006, 03:57 PM »
 Yup that is what I am starting to think to Skiff the fish the guy caught looks like the one in the pic perch pounder posted. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.