FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Who's going for eye's on Sat ?  (Read 6084 times)

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
Re: Who's going for eye's on Sat ?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 10:07 AM »
We did ok fished from 7 to 1 am . I got one 21 inches over 3 pounds. Mark got one short 16 inch and lost a nice one at the boat. Next time we will try trolling. I seen the yellowbirds & outrigers on Cabelas.com thanks Mike.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 10:34 AM »
Mike or Webguy maybe you can help me . How do the yellowbirds or the Planer board's work with out a outrigger or a downrigger ? On Walleyed  Insider they seen if you troll this is the why to go. But if you have no outrigger how do they stay out to the side of the boat & not go to the back when you troll? Sorry asking to many ????
Thanks Guy's

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I'll bite.

Planer boards react to the water like a sail reacts to the wind.

Standard boards stay tracking all the time off the end of the cable and the releases clip to your line and slide out on the cable. When the release pops your line is free from the rig.

In-line planer boards stay attached to the line of your rod at one point and a release keeps it tracking outwards. Once the release pops, the board straightens out and doesn't pull to the side any longer which allows you to bring it in easier and land the fish.

I should also tell you that I don't use them because it limits your ability to maneuver somewhat and power-boats like to run them over.

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2004, 12:28 PM »
Thanks .I’m thinking about getting two of them. I would be only using them on lake's that don't have power boat on the or at night but most of the lake's I fish are electric trolling motor only . What do you use just downriggers?

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2004, 03:17 PM »
I used to fish merril creek (electric only lake) and I used to be a trolling trout type of guy .  One day by accident I got a little to close to the submerged timber and caught  a 5 lb brownie. Well here was the first of many accidental finds using these boards . I'm a firm believer in the grasshopper effect , when walking threw a field the grass hopper fly away before you step on them, fish do the same thing by dodging your boat and peel off to the sides. The WEBGUY is correct about trying to use these board in a no horse power limmited lake . But I find 9.9 lakes work nice along with electric only as well .   ;D

They work rather well , and once you leartn how to use them you won't go back .

Good fishing guys

Mike K.

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2004, 03:20 PM »
I've never tried them at night .

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2004, 03:48 PM »
I used to fish merril creek (electric only lake) and I used to be a trolling trout type of guy .  One day by accident I got a little to close to the submerged timber and caught  a 5 lb brownie. Well here was the first of many accidental finds using these boards . I'm a firm believer in the grasshopper effect , when walking threw a field the grass hopper fly away before you step on them, fish do the same thing by dodging your boat and peel off to the sides. The WEBGUY is correct about trying to use these board in a no horse power limmited lake . But I find 9.9 lakes work nice along with electric only as well .   ;D

They work rather well , and once you leartn how to use them you won't go back .

Good fishing guys

Mike K.

Mike,
When a fish hit's the yellowbird or the Planer board it let's go of the line I got that part. But what happens to the yellowbird or the Planer board after a fish hit’s. Do they stop in the water & you come back & get them or is there a line tided to the yellowbird or the Planer board to pull it back to the boat ?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FROM YOU"R HELP
Shawn

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2004, 05:25 PM »
The yellowbird  has a release in the front and a big snap clip that goes around the line . The fish hits the bait ,the front releases so you can fight the fish, the snap is still around the line so it's almost like a slip bobber . If you set the release to tight , it wont let go and you'll have to real in the YB and unclipp it (happens with small fish quite a bit) The package comes with easey to use instructions . The only thing ,when using for muskies ,they tend to get pissy when that board slides to close to there face .    :o

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.