FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walleye  (Read 13621 times)

bigfish

walleye
« on: Oct 01, 2010, 09:03 PM »
anyone  fishing for walleye. last fall i started catching some nice fish in the 3 to 5 lb. class in thick timber in 17 ft of water just inside the drop off to 49 ft. We fish monksville
stayed on fish for the whole month of oct. and first week of nov.

ratso

Re: walleye
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2010, 08:18 AM »
So were you jigging or using bait? Electronics? Tied off or tooling around? Inquiring minds want to know...

By the way... Congratulations, Skunksville is a hard nut to crack. :o :o :o

fishgalore

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2010, 07:38 PM »
anyone  fishing for walleye. last fall i started catching some nice fish in the 3 to 5 lb. class in thick timber in 17 ft of water just inside the drop off to 49 ft. We fish monksville
stayed on fish for the whole month of oct. and first week of nov.

My brother and his wife fished Big Swartswood today ......3 fish.... no eyes. 2 pickerel and 1 cat all by his woman.... he got skunked. They noticed fish (using electroincs) mainly on structure and in deeper water; like 35 ft. Few fish were in shallower water. He talked to some others there but they had little action either. He expects the bite to be on soon though. I know he wants Walleye. I believe they caught all fish on bait...minnows. Had a couple taps on worms, jigged and also fished lures. Lots of fish in a couple spots but they didn't bite.

bigfish

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2010, 11:07 PM »
tied off on the stumps  small hook one splitshot  worms  were the bait of choice. some days minnows. used the lowrance just for depth and  structure.
some nice small mouth also in the mix. i hope to get out on sunday will post a report if we have any luck. this method produced for us last fall .will see if
it was just luck  or we could be onto something.

wiredstone

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2010, 07:56 AM »
I got one friday at Minsi Lake. Real close to shore on a jig.
wooo fish on. Never mind

fishgalore

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I got one friday at Minsi Lake. Real close to shore on a jig.

Nice!! Hope to see some bigger ones too this fall.

wiredstone

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:07 AM »
That is the first one I nave every seen in that lake. Onieda is my walleye spot.
wooo fish on. Never mind

ratso

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Hey Galore, Big Swartzwood has always showed fish on the electronics and rarely gave them up. I don't know what it is about that place, mostly fish plastics and metal, but even when I tried bait, it was always an exercise in frustration. Through the ice the perch in years past would be fun when you could find them and come up with what they wanted. I have seen some monsters come out of there, but they were few and far between. From what has been said, it might be time for another try on the Eyes in Skunks-vill, seeing how someone was gracious enough to actually post some useful and specific info. I have been wondering for years what happened to the lakers that were stocked in the Skunk-works. If anyone has ever had one out there, a shout out ( you don't need to say more than you caught one or more ) would be much appreciated. ;D

fishgalore

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Hey Galore, Big Swartzwood has always showed fish on the electronics and rarely gave them up. I don't know what it is about that place, mostly fish plastics and metal, but even when I tried bait, it was always an exercise in frustration. Through the ice the perch in years past would be fun when you could find them and come up with what they wanted. I have seen some monsters come out of there, but they were few and far between. From what has been said, it might be time for another try on the Eyes in Skunks-vill, seeing how someone was gracious enough to actually post some useful and specific info. I have been wondering for years what happened to the lakers that were stocked in the Skunk-works. If anyone has ever had one out there, a shout out ( you don't need to say more than you caught one or more ) would be much appreciated. ;D

That is the first one I nave every seen in that lake. Onieda is my walleye spot.

Ratso check this page out.....scroll down to view some Eye pics. Hopatcong and Big Swarts this year http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?action=profile;u=7801;sa=showPosts;start=60 Try Merrill Creek I hear that's a good spot in general.

Kevin.....Oneida is the place for Eyes I hear. We were going to travel up there last winter but decided to stay local. Didn't get one Eye thru the ice down here but they were caught in the Swartswood Derby that lasted several weeks.

Results from week 3 in February:
Here are the results:

1st -- 6.80# - 25 1/2" long - 15 3/4" girth (walleye) -- Mark Childress of Newton
2nd -- 3.94# - 23 1/2" long - 11 3/4" girth (pickerel) -- Ed Skorski of Newton
3rd -- 3.90# - 18 1/2" long - 13 1/4 " girth (LM bass) -- Andrew Bork of Milford, PA
Largest Panfish - 1.72# - 14 1/4" long 12" girth (crappie) --David Bork of Milford, PA

wiredstone

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2010, 11:59 AM »
If your headed to Snaggers bring your walleye rods. Sonars off the canal. It is allot of fun.
wooo fish on. Never mind

bigfish

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2010, 04:08 PM »
ok  worked over some spots only some small bluegills and white perch.  motored around in the timber marked some good fish  set up shop . 2 small lm bass more gills and one white perch . i got one good hit on worm. drag screaming fish felt good but just came unbuttoned .  gona hit the place hard this week. no takers on the shiners today. help me out guys get out on monksville give the walleye fishing  a shot  and keep it simple. If you get your bait at greenwood lake sports. check out the photos on the wall .

bigfish

« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2010, 02:25 PM »
friday fished our usual spots no walleye today we ran into a large school of white perch. most fish were about 14". caught about 15 fish most on worms the rest on gulp minnows.
on our way in we watched one guy catch a nice muskie. the fish was 48 ". this was about 2:oo pm.   ::)

dmntd169

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Ratso check this page out.....scroll down to view some Eye pics. Hopatcong and Big Swarts this year http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?action=profile;u=7801;sa=showPosts;start=60 Try Merrill Creek I hear that's a good spot in general.

Kevin.....Oneida is the place for Eyes I hear. We were going to travel up there last winter but decided to stay local. Didn't get one Eye thru the ice down here but they were caught in the Swartswood Derby that lasted several weeks.

Results from week 3 in February:
Here are the results:

1st -- 6.80# - 25 1/2" long - 15 3/4" girth (walleye) -- Mark Childress of Newton
2nd -- 3.94# - 23 1/2" long - 11 3/4" girth (pickerel) -- Ed Skorski of Newton
3rd -- 3.90# - 18 1/2" long - 13 1/4 " girth (LM bass) -- Andrew Bork of Milford, PA
Largest Panfish - 1.72# - 14 1/4" long 12" girth (crappie) --David Bork of Milford, PA

No need to travel to Onieda for eyes through the ice when you have Hopatcong and the Delaware much closer. Just concentrate on the same spots you get them in open water. My problem on Hopac is I tend to get lazy and not want to walk to my far off coves that I do well in the boat and usually just end up targeting crappies and perch since its a short walk to those fishing grounds  ;)

I'm on a mission to crack Skunksville eyes this winter though  ;D ;D
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

wiredstone

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2010, 04:45 PM »
The best walleye though the ice I have seen is Whitteny Point. The touney last year turn up a 31". Big fish.
wooo fish on. Never mind

the_mad_iceman

• I can't put my arms down!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:16 PM »
The best walleye though the ice I have seen is Whitteny Point. The touney last year turn up a 31". Big fish.

Fish with me this winter, I'll get you on the eyes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.