FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spey Rod & or Center Pin Float fishing in NJ  (Read 3303 times)

fishgalore

Spey Rod & or Center Pin Float fishing in NJ
« on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:43 PM »
How many of you use either of the above mentioned styles to fish for Trout or other species in NJ?

Is it difficult or did you adapt easily with the longer rod lengths?

How successful are you in NJ compared to other states using the same methods?

Would you recommend either methods to others fishing in NJ and if so why?

How would you rate the cost to get set up for either method? Reasonable? Difficult? Doable? or Ridiculous? Or any other description you can think of.

Do you find that your method is easily adaptable to other waters? If so are they larger rivers or streams or lakes and ponds too?

Feel free to add anything else you think pertinent to this discussion.

NickN

Re: Spey Rod & or Center Pin Float fishing in NJ
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Sorry I won't be able to help you with you questions but, I just got into 2 handed casting this winter while fishing for steelhead in Pulaski.  I picked up a 8 weight St Croix switch rod which I really like.  Still have a way to go at honing my skills but I plan on shad fishing with it ASAP along with getting back up to Pulaski if those flows would come down.

fishgalore

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011, 03:36 PM »
Sorry I won't be able to help you with you questions but, I just got into 2 handed casting this winter while fishing for steelhead in Pulaski.  I picked up a 8 weight St Croix switch rod which I really like.  Still have a way to go at honing my skills but I plan on shad fishing with it ASAP along with getting back up to Pulaski if those flows would come down.

At least you replied. I'm not really looking for help just making conversation. Not many NJ guys talk on this forum like the NY guys. Those guys (NY) are on here almost 24/7. I recently purchased a 13' St. Croix Avid center pin rod and a Okuma Sheffield Center pin reel. I plan on using it on rivers and streams in NJ and wanted to see if many others are doing the same with similar set ups. I haven't seen many Spey or CP guys using those methods in NJ at all. But maybe we can start a trend. It'll be hard on the Pequest and similar rivers with a 13' rod but I'll try it out for sure.

NickN

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:15 PM »
There is a guy I run into on the South Brach from time to time and I have never seen him with anything but a center pin.  So there is a least one in NJ.

dmntd169

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2011, 07:44 AM »
The only time I felt the need to break out the center pin in NJ was for sea run browns...its just as effective on them as it is the lake run browns up on the tribs of Lake Ontario  ;) ;)

I use it quite a bit out here in PA for carp and also have used it for finicky summer walleyes on the rivers with fairly good success
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

fishgalore

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2011, 05:37 PM »
The only time I felt the need to break out the center pin in NJ was for sea run browns...its just as effective on them as it is the lake run browns up on the tribs of Lake Ontario  ;) ;)

I use it quite a bit out here in PA for carp and also have used it for finicky summer walleyes on the rivers with fairly good success

When I researched making this purchase someone told me I would look for many other ways to use it because, he said, I will like it so much. I guess I wanted to know if others have found that to be their experience. I would use it on the Passaic for Pike too!!! That's a big enough river in some places. Spey rods are similar in that they are usually long rods and on some NJ rivers you would think they are too big to use. But I also know that a Spey instructor does some of his instruction on some NJ rivers. Hence, it can't be that much of a problem.

Either, there aren't many guys in NJ doing it or they are pretty mum about it.

TRACKER1

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I've never seen one used in Jersey, or thought of using one my self, I would think it it to be awarkward in the narrow streams of NJ. How about Shad in the Delaware?

fishgalore

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2011, 09:48 PM »
I've never seen one used in Jersey, or thought of using one my self, I would think it it to be awarkward in the narrow streams of NJ. How about Shad in the Delaware?

Yup, will try that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.