FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pequest Trout pics/reports for 2011  (Read 11204 times)

fishgalore

Pequest Trout pics/reports for 2011
« on: Mar 28, 2011, 03:47 PM »
We landed over 20 small Brookies on Saturday past but today Mike had the trifecta!!!! He had a nice 16" or so Brookie on but it jumped off if you know what I mean. He said nice fightin fish. Then he landed a nice 18" Rainbow and finally the big boy a short while later. A nice Brownie about 23" over 4 lbs. While I was working he was fishin!!! d**n!!! Mark get your finger out of the camera's view!!!

Addendum: A close up picture would have been nice but Mike wanted to insure that the fish survived upon release. He landed it fast enough but was concerned that it not be out of the water for long afterward. As a result no close up was taken.

BTW: Just got word.....to 5 pm today about 13 fish between them.

fishgalore

Re: Pequest Trout pics/reports for 2011
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Just a warning to anyone who may be violating the regs at the Pequest or anywhere else in NJ's trout stocked waters. Or other water bodies as well. Word has it that the DEP has recently caught some so called fishermen breaking the rules and they were fined heavily. Heard up to $1500. Tresspassing was part of their offense. Follow the creel limits but if you're not sure then don't keep anything unless you know it's legal. When in doubt leave it out or let it go.

Several of my buddies have the hotline # for poachers/lawbreakers in their phone already so beware that not only are the CO's watching but regular fisherman are doing so as well. If you are going to fish then do so within the rules. It'll cost you big time if you don't. 

fish4life

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:59 PM »
nice pics of your buds fish :thumbup_smilie:.not so good when your workn and there playing
 >:(. cant say it better myself whats the problem playing by the rules .yes i understand you pay
for a license to keep fish.but there is a reason for size and creel limits . i also have the # so i too am a look out .hope we can hook up would love to hit some of those trout.stop working and go play lol.

fishthefalls123

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:54 AM »
what a great day yesterday was.got my first trout on the fly and then some, great thing. P.S = Fishgalore quick snap shot sorry =p

Skinner

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2011, 07:15 AM »
I watched a guy 2-3 years ago on a weekend take a nice brookie out of the gorge , and as he passed each person told him he had to let it go , so he ran up the RR tracks outa there , People like that make me sick that's one reason I don't wade shoulder to shoulder on the first day anymore , I would much rather catch natives alone without the crowd.

fishgalore

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2011, 04:31 PM »
I watched a guy 2-3 years ago on a weekend take a nice brookie out of the gorge , and as he passed each person told him he had to let it go , so he ran up the RR tracks outa there , People like that make me sick that's one reason I don't wade shoulder to shoulder on the first day anymore , I would much rather catch natives alone without the crowd.

You won't see me fishing opening day with those crowds either!!! Unless I find a place that no one else goes. I hate 'em. I'll go to the Delaware for shad, walleye, musky, trout or anything but the crowds. Speaking of which we are going there (Big D) on Sunday.

fishgalore

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Fished before the open house today at the Pequest and landed my first fish on the CP set up. A nice lil 15-16" Rainbow on a trout bead. I drifted a fly for a bit but nothing. Try and land a fish with a 13' rod while not using a net (although I had one) and there was no easy way to beach it. It's a bugger trying to get it close enough to grab. Its not easy trying to manuever around anywhere up there with a 13' rod. But I knew that. I'm getting a bit better, though really green, with the casting. It'll take some time but with the 13' rod you can almost just drop the line up stream to start the drift. I was able to drift at least 150' when others were not close by. That covers a lot of water easily.

Mark landed a similar sized Rainbow and some smaller Brookies and lost a couple nice fish, one may have been in the 4-5lb range. Mudler minnow was good again for him and I think some other flies on the flyrod.

I spoke with some of the RVTA guys today and they recently put in 24 Big Trout. Like 7+ lbers down there. I know that Big Swarts float stocked ( I believe 300 trout) today and Hopatcong is float stocking trout tomorrow. 

ratso

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Hey Galore, you need a long handle net for that long rod. I always fish 4-6 rods off the boat on the troll, 2 short, 2 lead-core and 2 12 foot rods. The boat is not the same as the rivers and streams, then it would pay to have a partner in close proximity to assist. The fun on the troll is when you have 3-6 lines out and hook up. Big fish means lots of busy work, just don't stop the boat.

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2011, 07:55 AM »
Bobbie when do ya want HT and me down? lol!!!!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

fish4life

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2011, 01:34 PM »
yes bob that was fun to watch  ::).thanks for inviting us to join you
and mark. even thou we didn't get a bite but it was nice wetting the line.
next time aj and i will have better luck next time  hopefully.aj had a
 good time at the open house he put a hurting on those fish
at the education pond. also even thou they had allot of waders there
could not find waders to fit him.just have to keep searching. maybe
take a ride to cabelas.either the shoe was to big and the waders
over his head or shoe to tight and ok on the height idk.

fishgalore

« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Hey Galore, you need a long handle net for that long rod. I always fish 4-6 rods off the boat on the troll, 2 short, 2 lead-core and 2 12 foot rods. The boat is not the same as the rivers and streams, then it would pay to have a partner in close proximity to assist. The fun on the troll is when you have 3-6 lines out and hook up. Big fish means lots of busy work, just don't stop the boat.

Just purchased one that folds and telescopes. It was clipped to my belt and since it was a little guy I didn't bother to get it out. It extends 52"!!! So I must have looked funny trying to land that little guy!! :rotflol: :rotflol:

fishgalore

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Bobbie when do ya want HT and me down? lol!!!!

Come Memorial Day weekend.....we'll have a blast!!!

fishgalore

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Pic of Marks Rainbow from yesterday.  :bowdown: Mine was comparable in size. He's hooked on fly fishing already!!! :clapping:

fish4life

« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2011, 07:47 PM »
nice fishing with ya mark and nice fish. thanks for taking the time to show AJ and I some spots to fish  :thumbup_smilie:

fishgalore

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Everyone but me is catching some big boys this year. I had one or two nice ones on this year but didn't land 'em.  We are hooked on flyfishing. We both still have lots to learn but Mike is refining it faster than I.

This one measured 24 1/2" long with a 14 1/2" girth on 7/02/11. Fat momma, calculates to about 6 1/2 lbs. He had another big momma on earlier today.....maybe 5 lbs but she shook the hook twice. We went yesterday too but only got a couple small ones. Zack landed a nice male though close to the magic hour.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.