FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pequest Trout pics/reports for 2011  (Read 11206 times)

backstrapper

Re: Pequest Trout pics/reports for 2011
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:34 PM »
What part of the Ramapo are you by?  I'm originally from Bergen County.  I bought the pin down last year and also did some bouncing and got a lot of strange looks from the local spinning guys.
I shoot to grill and fish for the thrill

privateeyes

« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:02 PM »
What part of the Ramapo are you by?  I'm originally from Bergen County.  I bought the pin down last year and also did some bouncing and got a lot of strange looks from the local spinning guys.
backstrapper, I use to hit from Oakland  towards Mawah and back in those days 80s early 90s I also fished just about every public trout stream/lake/ponds in norther new jersey over two decades also suffern ny .  ..I just trout fish new york. Jersey just doesn't have enough quality public access but seems to have everything else  ::) I try to get away from everything else so burning a few gallons more gas money for upstate new york is still worth it to me. I can't fish the ramapo no more lol  I live fifteen minutes from harriman park and doubt that will open this ice season if we continue to see these climate fluctuations.

fishgalore

« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I wish I lived close to that trout stream, cool picture and another nice hatchery spawner  :D Is it over developed along the pequest like the ramapo river by me?  it looks like the best fly stretches in nre jersey are along the pequest stream near the state hatchery. :laugh:  the barn is either slow or the mods there have issues.. was hoping to get some inshore party boat reports.. wish it wasn't stormy SC advisory..now all I have a shot at is after xmas. gl and have fun waiting for ice season

No.........fishing there tomorrow. If ice don't come soon I know what I'm doing all winter..............Pequest.......Ken Lockwood and maybe Mountain Lake too for Muskie.

fishgalore

« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:45 PM »
backstrapper, I use to hit from Oakland  towards Mawah and back in those days 80s early 90s I also fished just about every public trout stream/lake/ponds in norther new jersey over two decades also suffern ny .  ..I just trout fish new york. Jersey just doesn't have enough quality public access but seems to have everything else  ::) I try to get away from everything else so burning a few gallons more gas money for upstate new york is still worth it to me. I can't fish the ramapo no more lol  I live fifteen minutes from harriman park and doubt that will open this ice season if we continue to see these climate fluctuations.

Portions of the Pequannock in Passaic County (still might be a little ride) up near the Reservoir are good too! Mike and I hit it earlier this spring and did well with a good mix of Browns and Rainbows but noting super big. All on the fly rod. I hear the big ones are in there though. You just may have to put some time in to learn it. WE don't know it that well. We fished by where Rt. 23 crosses it near West Milford/Pompton area just below the reservoirs on 23. I'm pretty sure we had at least one brown in the 20" range, never landed it though.

privateeyes

« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Yes, that is nice area and I'm sure it is a peaceful backwoods setting..mileage wise, it would take me about the same time travel as my Catskill haunts. Ramapo river is not an option for me after so much time on the Catskill streams.But those fish pics from jersey are very impressive.. you would have to spend a great deal of time finding those size even in the no kills upstate :D .. Iwish you a Merry Safe and Happy New years fly fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.