FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: skillfull anglers award  (Read 9341 times)

Mkid

• FISH ON........
Re: skillfull anglers award
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2004, 11:38 PM »
i agree that the fish in echo aren't as heavy,  the problem there,if you want to call it a problem is to many muskie for the size of the lake. Monks has some heavy fish. Once they hit 42" they get real FAT Same with greenwood. Hopatcong being a newer fisherie for muskie looks to be coming on strong,real strong.... I predict it will be the best muskie lake in the state before long. Remember size does matter. Oh buy the way, you can say goodbuy.... to the trout fishing on hopatcong, just like monks.... theres nothing more that a muskie likes than a state stocked scared finless trout in a new home.....

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:56 AM »
MKid

It's not the musies wolfing down the trout , it's all the walleye eat'em  up. Bob Papson (NJ F& G )  did a study and found the walleyes love to eat 'em and the muskies might eat a couple but there not the main eaters of trout. Perch  and alewives are the main stay of the muskie diet .

Good fishing dudes

Michael Kopp

Mkid

• FISH ON........
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:54 PM »
That sounds like a cover up from F&G to me. Im sur walleye do eat trout to,but i still think the muskie puts a bigger hurt on the trout population.Muskie like soft fin fish. Ive been to monks many times after a trout stocking and seen the results.The muskie will chase the trout out of the water onto the ramp. i personally pushed the trout back in......Ive yet to see a walleye do that ....Not that they dont eat there fare share. The trout fishing used to be great in monks with the walleye around. As soon  Mr. muskie came to town the holdover  trout fishing has been horrible. The state never wanted muskie in there, but somehow........ they magicaly arrived and i'm happy for it. But i still think the muskie really puts the hammer to those 7-9"stockers.

I bet you have a rainbow or brown trout suick in your boat when fishing monks. I know i do.....

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2004, 02:11 PM »
MKid

It's not the musies wolfing down the trout , it's all the walleye eat'em  up. Bob Papson (NJ F& G )  did a study and found the walleyes love to eat 'em and the muskies might eat a couple but there not the main eaters of trout. Perch  and alewives are the main stay of the muskie diet .

Good fishing dudes

Michael Kopp

OK  Mike (president New Jersey Muskies Inc, Chapter 22 ) ;D

then maybe you can tell us why guy's are using trout for bait ? And they are catching muskies with the trout and why are they not using sucker's & chub’s???????
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:39 PM »
Shawn

The simple reason is , you can buy trout , I've not found a place to buy suckers of yet .
I understand perch work really well as bait.

I mostly  through and troll big muskie size crankbaits to catch mine  , so I'm not much of a live bait fisherman . I do admitt to having trout colored baits , but I don't do so well on those colors . It seems like perch pattern does well along with some real bright baits like firetiger and chartruse black dot .    ::)

Good fishing to all

Michael Kopp

jyoung

« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:26 PM »
Shawn M (captain of team mercer)
Mike is right the only reason why US muskie fisherman use trout is because I can run over to the musconetcong trout hatchery and buy 4-10 inchers for $14, A friend of mine use to get suckers and seemed like alot of work to go and catch suckers for bait.
Shawn I was reading some of your last post directed towards Mike and it seems to me that you have a little pent up anger towards him and I was just curious to know why.
Mike was just trying to answer some questions(I thought that is what a fish forum was about) and you seem to be attacking him.
Maybe I'm wrong and you can clear this up.
Good hunting, Jeff ;D
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:31 PM »
dont worry he means nothing by it

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:48 PM »
I agree with mark, and I may be confused but isn't it illegal to use game fish as bait???

jyoung

« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:00 PM »
No It's not illegal if you purchase them and carry the receipt, The only problem with it is that you have to purchase your bait for that day.
I only use bait in the fall and it's not that often.
Good hunting, Jeff <*))))))><

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:18 AM »
Mike is right the only reason why US muskie fisherman use trout is because I can run over to the musconetcong trout hachtary and buy 4-10 inchers for $14, A friend of mine use to get suckers and seemed like alot of work to go and catch suckers for bait.
Shawn I was reading some of your last post directed towards Mike and it seems to me that you have a little pent up anger towards him and I was just curious to know why.
Mike was just trying to answer some questions(I thought that is what a fish forum was about) and you seem to be attacking him.
Maybe I'm wrong and you can clear this up.
Good hunting, Jeff ;D
Jeff,
No I'm not attacking anyone just macking a point that Muskie do eat trout . If I was attacking anyone you would know it  ;) ;) just jokeing.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

jyoung

« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2004, 01:13 PM »
Hi Shawn,
I'm glad that you don't have any bad feelings, Being someone looking at your post it seemed pretty harsh, But you have cleared that up.

Now for the Muskies eating the trout, Sure I have seen muskies hitting trout on stocking day but I have also seen Pike do the same thing at Spruce run and believe me when I tell you this that I have seen Walleyes do the same and as for Lake trout you can't tell me that the Lakers at Round Valley or Merril Creek Res don't woof down the trout.
 In california the guys fish for the large Bass there with large trout lures(the Castaic trout lure).

It just seems that some people like to blame thier inability to catch trout on Muskies at Monksville or Pike at Spuce Run or the Tigers at Swartswood.
These fish are not the only fish out there that eat the trout.
Bob Papson the cheif biologest for New Jersey did a study a few years back and found that the walleyes were having more of an impact on the trout than any other fish.

My point is that trout are prayed upon by just about every fish that is larger than they are and that pretty much holds truth with all fish.

Tight lines, Jeff <*)))))))><
p.s. Shawn don't shoot me, This is just my opinion

vintek

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2004, 02:02 AM »
We are getting away from the subject of this post but gamefish, which include but are not limited to musky, pike, pickeral, bass, walleye, and even trout, can and will eat prey that are 1/3 of its own weight. If you do the math, a three pound bass will eat a one pound trout. It will take them longer to eat it but it does happen. I have seen it while fishing for bass on small ponds. Small bass would take large live bait. The bait was so large that you would think the small bass would choke. I even read an article (and saw the picture too) of an 18 pound catfish with teeth marks from a huge muskie piercing its belly. Additionally while muskie fishing, I have caught bass 3 to 5 lbs. on lures 8" to 10" long. Granted, different types of fish do have preferences to what they eat but, the botom line is any type of smaller fish (and it doesn't have to be much smaller) is prey to any type of larger fish. I am sure plenty of bass, walleye, and maybe even trout have made a meal of muskie or pike fry and fingerlings. It is all part of the circle of life.

Vinnie

BassFireman

« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:27 AM »
Does anybody know how to obtain a schedule of when lakes will be stocked.  I wouldn't mind being their at the ramp waiting for the predators.

jyoung

« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2004, 10:06 AM »
Bassfireman,
You can get on the NJ fish and wildlife web site and I think they have the schedule on there if not just give them a call and they will tell you.
My experience with fishing on stocking day or anytime afterwards has always been bad, It seems that they are just to full to bite anything I'm throwing at them.
Give it a try It can't hurt and as they say a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
Let em go and let em grow, Jeff<*)))))><

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:42 PM »
Right on the nj fish and game website go to stocking and click and it will give you the full schedule.  Last year me and Mark did really well fishing  on the days that they were stocked so I would give it a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.