FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: early trout  (Read 3294 times)

shadylakeice

early trout
« on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:20 AM »
Hey guys looking for info on early season stream fishing for trout. Since ice isn't cooperating decided to try something new. Only ever fished during spring stocking season, so not familiar with winter trout behaviour. I am spin fishing if that helps. Have been to rockaway and pequonack rivers wit no luck, any paticular stretches that have been winter/fall stocked ? Don't want secrect location, just general area to start. live bait(I know except in tca.) or artificial ? I've been told trout become sluggish in cold water. How about flies with a spinning rod? Thanx in advance for any help. Don

bigfish

Re: early trout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Sounds like you are at the right location's mix it up with the small roostertail spinners change colors until u find something that works i like the 1/32 oz with a gold blade in brown. and  silver blade in black .

shadylakeice

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:37 AM »
Thanx, will give 'er a try

fishgalore

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Hey guys looking for info on early season stream fishing for trout. Since ice isn't cooperating decided to try something new. Only ever fished during spring stocking season, so not familiar with winter trout behaviour. I am spin fishing if that helps. Have been to rockaway and pequonack rivers wit no luck, any paticular stretches that have been winter/fall stocked ? Don't want secrect location, just general area to start. live bait(I know except in tca.) or artificial ? I've been told trout become sluggish in cold water. How about flies with a spinning rod? Thanx in advance for any help. Don

Most fish slow down in cold water not just trout. You will find them in deeper pools where warmer water temps are right now. If you are using lures a drop and slow retrieve, drop and slow retrieve, or jerk, drop and slow retrieve might work better.

Are you familiar with float fishing? Trout beads or flies, such as small brown stoneflies, midges, san juan worms and even Berkeley pink worms can be used under a float but don't use an ultra light set up for this method. You need a long rod like 9'-10' noodle rod to keep the line off the water while you float fish under a bobber. Here is some info on this method that you'll need to study a bit. PM me with any questions you have.  Go here:-http://www.raventackle.com/Shotting%20Patterns.pdf & here for more info on float fishing (correctly done with a center pin set up but a spinning set up will work but not as well):- http://www.raventackle.com/ or here:-http://www.floatfishingconnection.com/

For more on how to use trout beads go here:- http://www.troutbeads.com/How_To.html or to purchase their products:- http://www.troutbeads.com/index.html. I use "Peg-its" to attach my trout beads:-http://www.akflyshop.com/flyshop/index.php?productID=6161

You can also use garden worms or a piece of nightcrawler in certain locations where legal. Anything I described above under a float can also be used with the bottom bouncing method. This method may result in more snags and may be harder to do without a fly rod set up when using nymphing flies.  But it is very effective as well. To bad they don't sell egg sacks around here or that would be another option. I have a few I tied up using brown trout eggs.

As Springtime nears they will spawn again (I know some may disagree with this)
http://bss.sfsu.edu/holzman/courses/fall01%20projects/rainbow%20trout.htm and that's why in the spring salmon eggs are effective IMO. The trout bead is an artificial "salmon egg" if you will.

The last thing I would note is don't just fish one spot on the river. Move around and find the deeper pools where the fish may be hiding. Be as discreet as possible and learn how to read the water for seams and tail outs. Fish no longer than 10 minutes or so without a bite and then move. When you find the fish you'll soon know it if you are at the correct depth.

ratso

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:20 PM »
If you try the lakes, troll baby, troll.

Go slow, go light and if you don't own one or two, buy the in-line side planers that will keep your lures out and away from the boat. I always use 4-6 pound test when I troll and longer rods, like 12 foot crappie rods. that 4-6 is the leader, the planer is attached to 10-17 pound test with a big swivel where the leader is attached so the planer does not slide all the way back to the fish. Small phoebes, spinners, rooster tails and minnow plugs are the go to lures in the order listed.

Of course if you have a few good spots, live bait and a good double anchor can produce results. The shallows warm first with clear water and bluebird skies.
Don't blame me if you get bit off shallow, like the superstitious sailors of old used to say about sea monsters, " There Be Pickerel ".

Anybody out there got and water temp reports?  ???

shadylakeice

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 04:56 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I'm learning up on fly fishing with a spinning rod, gonna try nymphing. Got this weekend to get things together,looks too cold to go out, but w'll see. Also gonna get the float tube in order, if no ice forms this week got a perfect place for it stocked with bows. should be pretty good if I can get on them, with the lack of ice what little pressure would have been will be even less.  :tipup:

fishgalore

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I'm learning up on fly fishing with a spinning rod, gonna try nymphing. Got this weekend to get things together,looks too cold to go out, but w'll see. Also gonna get the float tube in order, if no ice forms this week got a perfect place for it stocked with bows. should be pretty good if I can get on them, with the lack of ice what little pressure would have been will be even less.  :tipup:

I did some exploring in a very small stream last weekend in a place I haven't fished in over 20 yrs. What I found was expected. I was glad to see they were still there. A few nice colorful Brookies!

backstrapper

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2012, 06:38 AM »
To add a note on float fishing.  The best way to know if you're at the correct depth is simply keep making the distance between your folat and hook longer unitl the float leans forwards when going down stream.  Once it leans forward you are catching bottom and to deep so shorten the float three inches and see what happens.  Keep shortening it 3 inches until it float upright.  If you use the 'once you get a hit' method you may waste a whole day fishing.  You could be at the correct depth but using the wrong bait.  WIth the float forward and sliding method you will always know you are at the correct depth and thus can focus more on finding the bait of the day.
I shoot to grill and fish for the thrill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.