FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Take Home or catch and release  (Read 9052 times)

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
Re: Take Home or catch and release
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:56 PM »
I'll keep legal size fluke while shore fishing and maybe a walleye every now and again , but every thing else goes back . I don't buy the fact that people have to stock there freezer with thousands of fish ,it's like your acting like a squirrel hiding your nuts for winter. . If you can aford the money to buy tackle, bait and equipment , you can afford to go the store and buy dinner .  8) 

So take only what you need.

Mike

Mkid

• FISH ON........
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:53 PM »
i practice mostly catch and release. i'll keep fish in the winter when they taste alot better. But as far as buying fish at the market , no chance. I am a fisherman. the only fish i'll buy is bait . the "fresh fish"....at the store is at least a week old and looks like it was in the sun longer......

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:18 AM »
I'll keep legal size fluke while shore fishing and maybe a walleye every now and again , but every thing else goes back . I don't buy the fact that people have to stock there freezer with thousands of fish ,it's like your acting like a squirrel hiding your nuts for winter. . If you can aford the money to buy tackle, bait and equipment , you can afford to go the store and buy dinner .  8) 

So take only what you need.

Mike
Mike if that's what you like to do go to the store or out to dinner that's fine because it will leave more fish for me to take home & eat  ;D . But like Mkid said & I feel the same way the only fish I eat are the one's I take home from fishing!!! There is nothing at all wrong with putting fish in the freezer as long as you are going to eat it.
Thanks & have a good day  ;D
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:19 PM »
Shawn

I'm not attacking anyone for putting a couple of fish in there freezer . But what I'm saying is these few fish we have shouldn't be somebodys personal food bank . I know some guy who go out and keep there limit of trout every time they go out and there's nothing wrong with that as long as your eating them. But when you stock your freezer with hundreds , and are like Johny Apple seed, throwing trout to everyone in the nieghborhood and feeding  them to your cat  , well thats  just wrong . 

If you need protein that bad ,  may I suggest Deer hunting , a couple of white tails go a long way toward feeding a family .

I wish you all a great  2004 season .

Mike Kopp

Cider

« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:11 PM »
ShawnM, fishkopp - I don't want to intrude, but I agree with both of you.  I think people should keep what they catch if they want to.  After all, that is the point of fishing isn't it?  AS long as they follow daily limits and stay within the law when keeping fish. 

Fishkopp - I really agree with you in that I think people need to adhere to possesion limits when stocking the freezer!  In most states a possession limit is twice your daily limit.  Anymore than that and you have more than you could possibly consume in a reasonable amount of time!  Let some go to be caught again another day...

jyoung

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2004, 11:05 AM »
I personally don't fish to eat, I fish because I like the sport, There is nothing like have a large Musky grab a bait boatside, The strike is vicous.
I sometimes keep a couple of the Hybrid Stripers for my grandmother and we only talking about 4 a year.
I enjoy fishing, I don't enjoy cleaning fish at the end of a day fishing.
I don't put down a person that keeps a few fish, I do put down the guy that stocks his freezer for the family reunion fish fry.
I sometimes see these people fishing from shore and they have thier 5 gal. bucket and they are throwing everything they catch into, I mean everything.
To me that's wrong.
I've got two young boys and I would hope that while I conserve for the future generation, That others would also think about it also.

Tight lines, Jeff 8)
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2004, 11:25 AM »
man i didnt know keeping or releasing fish was such a big deal. with stocked trout i dont really like keeping them but if u fish with salmon eggs and such youll hook them so deep its hard to release them alive. id rather keep a fish than throw it back where it has no chance of living. my family also likes to keep crappie and perch so we keep most crappies and perch that we catch, other than that mostly everything goes back. oh and fishkopp on your deer hunting coment my brother is and avid deer hunter and he does have plenty of venison ;)

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2004, 04:15 PM »
Shawn

There no releasing a deer with a slug or an arrow in it.  So what better place for it then on the dinner table . I would have to agree with you on the trout swallowing hooks as well, the trout program is a put and take for the most part . So I guess you could say trout are for eaten , that's if you like them .  I would much rather have some batter dipped deep fried walleye instead .   
Just be considerate of your fellow angler and leave a couple for the kids to catch .

Good fishing to all

Mike Kopp

BassFireman

« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2004, 11:58 AM »
I only keep the occassional panfish (crappie and perch) and sometimes trout.   Also will typically keep what I catch on a party boat.  Bass are always released.

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2004, 12:44 PM »
Shawn

There no releasing a deer with a slug or an arrow in it.  So what better place for it then on the dinner table . I would have to agree with you on the trout swallowing hooks as well, the trout program is a put and take for the most part . So I guess you could say trout are for eaten , that's if you like them .  I would much rather have some batter dipped deep fried walleye instead .   
Just be considerate of your fellow angler and leave a couple for the kids to catch .

Good fishing to all

Mike Kopp

Mike,
Yes there are way's of releasing deer DON'T SHOT THEM  ;D . I get over 3 to 5 Deer every season from NJ to NY all BOW KILL'S so that is not a problem putting dinner/food on the table but that's a different subject. But we like to eat fish one time a week. SO It's not like I'm taking every fish in a lake this weekend we went fishing and I got over 1 pound 8 oz of crappie/Perch. That will be for dinner tomorrow night. Now for trout I only like them smoked. I only keep what my dad wants or AJ's dad wants for smoking.

fishin_musician

• Stupid's the New Awesome
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:28 PM »
If you can aford the money to buy tackle, bait and equipment , you can afford to go the store and buy dinner .

What's the difference if you catch it or someone else dose, then sells it to you. You wouldn't be a commercial fisherman would you?
Life is Good on the Susky!
Date Registered:   Mar 04, 2004

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:51 PM »
I just think that catching and cleaning your own fish is better, atleast than you know where it's come from and what's gone into it.

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #27 on: Mar 16, 2004, 01:41 PM »
AJ ,
You don't clean fish your dad clean's them for you !!!!!! You big girl

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2004, 05:26 PM »
NO WAY!!! I clean all of the trout I get, but I let my dad do the fillets just so I don't screw them up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.