FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good news... Koontz Lake public access has reopened...  (Read 1486 times)

LundProv

Good morning...  I had a text from a reliable source that the Koontz Lake public access/boat launch has reopened as of today - 9/4/22.  So a project that began July 11 and was needing three weeks to complete took a little longer than expected.  The good news is that it is now reopened and ready for use and all those fish you were not able to catch in the past few weeks have gotten BIGGER!  Enjoy and go get them...

fishinator

Re: Good news... Koontz Lake public access has reopened...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Thanks for the update. How bad is the weekend boat traffic there? Are the boaters there polite to fisherman?
 I only ask because I've had some serious issues on some lakes like maxinkuckee.

LundProv

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2022, 01:41 PM »
Weekend boat traffic is always a flip of the coin... You never know how crowded or when there will be gaps...  I think there is plenty of lake for everyone to participate at what they like.  I typically go through the week and the last time I was there on a weekend, it was kinda enjoyable in the sense that the pontoon and ski boats do get a little close at times but you get to revisit all the 70's and 80's music they play...  Last time, a pontoon was blaring Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you will be and it took me half way back to Valpo on the road to get that song out of my head... And of course, another Koontz lake favorite besides anything from the Beach Boys is the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...I will say, the turbulence from all the boats seems to improve the fishing.  It kind of stirs up the lake and I think they seek refuge near the fisherman's boat as it is an oasis of more quiet and less waves...

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2022, 12:36 PM »
Weekend boat traffic is always a flip of the coin... You never know how crowded or when there will be gaps...  I think there is plenty of lake for everyone to participate at what they like.  I typically go through the week and the last time I was there on a weekend, it was kinda enjoyable in the sense that the pontoon and ski boats do get a little close at times but you get to revisit all the 70's and 80's music they play...  Last time, a pontoon was blaring Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you will be and it took me half way back to Valpo on the road to get that song out of my head... And of course, another Koontz lake favorite besides anything from the Beach Boys is the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...I will say, the turbulence from all the boats seems to improve the fishing.  It kind of stirs up the lake and I think they seek refuge near the fisherman's boat as it is an oasis of more quiet and less waves...

I have to say you're quite the optimist there.  :laugh: I was almost killed by boat full of drunks with no lights just after dark in a DNR boat to boot. It was Sylvan Lake in Noble County back in about 1977.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jig_Head

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2022, 07:21 PM »
How bad is the weekend boat traffic there? Are the boaters there polite to fisherman?
Bad. Nope lol

fishinator

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2022, 07:08 AM »
I've had some bad experiences.  Few years back we were fishing the south end of maxi, near the fingers. Had a wake boat approach us and a guy on a wake board jumped out. They started heading away from us but about 200 yards away they made a loop and came back by and swamped us. They were very, very lucky we were in a small boat and unable to catch them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.