FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mounting a Transducer  (Read 1826 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Mounting a Transducer
« on: Jun 05, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Hey all,

Long story short -

I have a Lowrance Hook 9 unit on my 22' CC and I just ordered an additional power cord, transducer, and Ram mount for my bass boat and intend to just use the unit on either boat. However, My Triton TR165 is two tiered on the transom so I am wondering if I can get a consensus as to where I should mount the transducer. I looked at a few videos and they are all over the board. Some say up high to keep it safe but that will only work off plane and some say 1/8" below the hull to keep it in the water so it works on plane as well. This is a bass boat and as many of you know it goes into shallow water as well. Now I am careful to not hit anything but thats not to say it will never happen. Bunks are another thing in play here .

So, here are a few pictures and I am wondering if you can help show me where I should install it. It will be delivered today so I plan on installing it tonight.

Here is what the transducer looks like. This is on my CC and i ordered the same one for the bassboat.

Here is the back of the bass boat.

This is a side view to give you an idea of that two tier.

Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

Re: Mounting a Transducer
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2018, 09:49 AM »
no pics

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I can see the pics. No idea on mounting it however...

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2018, 12:31 PM »
no pics
\

They are there now.

crazy

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2018, 01:38 PM »
And I did nothing at all after you said they were missing. Something is going on with the site. I cannot upload pics from my cell but they work from the PC and I  never had issues before. I also having viewing issues in some posts.
Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2018, 01:49 PM »
I wish I had the answer for you. I mounted my transducer purposely low so it would work on plane but it doesn't, so I don't know how to help. Next time I do it I will be installing a transducer mounting plate so I don't have to drill any more holes in the hull.

Roccus

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2018, 02:41 PM »
 couple of things... always mount them on a block of star  board or even wood... that way you don't drill a ton of hole in your boat.. they can be screwed to the transom or silicone with 500... the addition of the 3/4" set back allows for the water to keep the face wet because it begins to rise as soon as it exits the boat... for best results it is recommended that they be mounted on the right side ( I have one mounted to the left with no issues either) of the propeller at least 3" outside the wheels( propeller) outer diameter..they are recommended to sit just below the bottom of the boat to start... I set mine so the transducer seam Is even the with the bottom of the boat... drill the holes mid center of the slots.. that will give you a good amount of adjustment if need be.. my transducers read in 300' of water at 30 Knots ..no issues.. yet mounted as such.. I don't worry about hitting anything in the shallow water I play in nightly.. her's a picture of mine for clarification... ( IF they come up)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I am going to mount it in the grey section right under the strap hook. If it does not work on plane i do not mind. I really need GPS while driving and sonar/downscan while fishing.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2018, 02:45 PM »
I am going to mount it in the grey section right under the strap hook. If it does not work on plane i do not mind. I really need GPS while driving and sonar/downscan while fishing.

Roccus I do not see pictures.

However, even though I 100% agree with where you installed your transducer and would like to do the same, mine will be far more protected up a bit higher and it will still work while fishing. My plan is to use the screen for GPS purposes while driving and then use the swing arm to turn it forward of the drivers console while fishing and using my trolling motor.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2018, 02:04 PM »
So....... Talk about frustrating. Everything came in the mail and off course the power cable is the wrong one. I call back and they refund the money for the power cable and tell me to chuck it. So after calling Lowrance, Basspro, Factory Outlet Store (original place i ordered from), and Eagle Electronics no one can seem to find a power cord for my HOOK 9 unit (it is not a HOOK2 series). REALLY??!?!!??!? I just dont get it. So here I am with a new mounting bracket and transducer and no way to power it up.

Not sure if its just me but I cannot find a power cable at all for the HOOK unit (Red adapter) or an aftermarket. I am ready to return the bracket and transducer and buy a whole new unit for $300 or so.

Not to mention 40 minute wait with lowrance yesterday where they never picked up and then never called back after stating they will by end of day. 30 minutes on the call with them today to give the the "correct power cable # that they dont carry, send me to basspro and they dont have it either. 

Speechless and annoyed.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2018, 02:39 PM »
IMHO... the hook wasn't one of Lowrances better products... I think getting parts is going to be a issue moving foreword..  ...I have a hook 4 for ice fishing.. I bought it cheap. Now I know why..my Marcum flasher  is a better machine...X-10... it( the original hook) was only around a short time and they transitioned to the Hook2.. I had trouble getting a sun cover for my hook2... factory outlet kept sending me one for the hook... totally different machine... the hook 2 is an awesome machine if you like a no frills simple but accurate machine...as far as your dilemma...you could wire in a couple of bullet connectors to a short harness and swap the power cord from one boat to the other.. just unplugging the power cord from the connectors ( packed with dielectric grease)... I think the old blue connectors should work ( maybe they are red and the transducer is blue..I'm old I forget). I have a bunch of old power cords ( from older lowrance  units) I'll check to see if they work on my Hook 4 ...the new hook2 uses push in connectors like the garmin.. not really a fan.. but they work..

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2018, 02:53 PM »

Try calling Navico
 1-603-324-2042 hope they can help

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2018, 03:42 PM »
IMHO... the hook wasn't one of Lowrances better products... I think getting parts is going to be a issue moving foreword..  ...I have a hook 4 for ice fishing.. I bought it cheap. Now I know why..my Marcum flasher  is a better machine...X-10... it( the original hook) was only around a short time and they transitioned to the Hook2.. I had trouble getting a sun cover for my hook2... factory outlet kept sending me one for the hook... totally different machine... the hook 2 is an awesome machine if you like a no frills simple but accurate machine...as far as your dilemma...you could wire in a couple of bullet connectors to a short harness and swap the power cord from one boat to the other.. just unplugging the power cord from the connectors ( packed with dielectric grease)... I think the old blue connectors should work ( maybe they are red and the transducer is blue..I'm old I forget). I have a bunch of old power cords ( from older lowrance  units) I'll check to see if they work on my Hook 4 ...the new hook2 uses push in connectors like the garmin.. not really a fan.. but they work..

Thanks Joe. I have not had any issues with my Hook 9. Love everything about it but you are right about the quick transition. One of the website links above does fit my Hook 9 so I plan on picking that up tomorrow from my local Westmarine. My only other option is to return everything and just buy a new unit all together for the bassboat but i was not intending to spend over 300 on this quick fix for a unit on the bassboat or to have 2 separate units. Let me see if i can get it working with that power cord and if not its pan B or C.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.