FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lyme disease vaccine available soon!  (Read 3509 times)

Spider1

Re: Lyme disease vaccine available soon!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2018, 05:30 AM »
yep, it's true, Lyme is only one nasty illness that these things carry.

I have a buddy that had/has Lyme. He got it and never knew it, just thought it was a part of getting old until it really started to be a serious health problem. It was diagnosed 3 years later. He has been treated but is now afflicted with Chronic Lyme disease.

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2018, 06:14 AM »
I find it amazing that when I lived in Mass from 68' to 71' when DDT was used heavily, I spend a lot of time in the woods, grass, etc. and never saw one tick. I had never heard of them until I moved to Indiana and that was many years later.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spider1

« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2018, 07:28 AM »
probably didn't have much to do with the DDT. I was in PA and NY at the same time period and they were everywhere. I remember as a kid getting back from field trials with the dogs having to searching them for ticks before putting them back in the runs. The big scare back then was rocky mountain spotted fever.

seamonkey84

« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2018, 07:32 AM »
It’s not just Lyme that you have to worry a out
https://www-m.cnn.com/2017/05/03/health/powassan-tick-virus/index.html
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Jun 11, 2018, 08:37 AM »
probably didn't have much to do with the DDT. I was in PA and NY at the same time period and they were everywhere. I remember as a kid getting back from field trials with the dogs having to searching them for ticks before putting them back in the runs. The big scare back then was rocky mountain spotted fever.

Perhaps but this was a military post and they were constantly dropping DDT by C-130's and other methods. I remember fishing on a lake and the C-130 came over and suddenly the entire suface of the lake was covered with insects and the fish were slurping up insects everywhere. We had no idea back then it was possibly harmful. Never saw any Great Blue Herons, Eagles, or Commorants either. Last time I was there last year there was a GBH and a cormorant that had taken up residence.

The quarters we lived in later became an EPA clean up site due to some kind of insecticide they sprayed around the foundations. All the quarters were demolished and soil removed.

Where my wife lived in Whiting, Indiana they would fog behind a truck and all the kids would follow in their bycycles!  :o
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Jun 11, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Not sure about anyone else but I certainly am not one to try bleeding edge vacines.  They can find other ginuea pigs.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Jun 11, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Not sure about anyone else but I certainly am not one to try bleeding edge vacines.  They can find other ginuea pigs.

I do not even take the flu vaccine. Nothing unless I absolutely have to. I also stitch myself up.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Jun 12, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I do not even take the flu vaccine. Nothing unless I absolutely have to. I also stitch myself up.

I got a flu shot once.  It was free from my employer at the time.  Man did I get sick.  Never again.  People are too trusting of this type of stuff see vacine and let a doc inject unknown gunk into them.  No thanks!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Jun 12, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I got a flu shot once.  It was free from my employer at the time.  Man did I get sick.  Never again.  People are too trusting of this type of stuff see vacine and let a doc inject unknown gunk into them.  No thanks!

Yeah. I got the theory behind it but funny as it is, year after year I see people around me with the Flu that had the shot and knock on wood, this guy escapes it every time.

Good diet, staying active, and time spent outdoors.... no secret here.
Wicked Wec

fishinator

« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Exact thing happened to me. Free from the employer so i figured why not. I missed a week of work I was so sick. My employer and medical staff assured me I didn't get sick from the shot. Never again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.