FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maybe I'm too old for a kayak  (Read 5627 times)

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
Re: Maybe I'm too old for a kayak
« Reply #30 on: Jun 27, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Great looking Yak Bart, very nice work on your mods. I enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing!

Enjoy your vacation Taxid. My friend has one like yours and it is a sweet ride!

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Jun 27, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Thanks for the video Bart. That is just how I got out the last time sans the waders!

Thank you for all the kind words and tips out there!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #32 on: Jun 27, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I may baby my canoes, but I have dragged my kayak across cobble sized rip rap to get to the water. Of course it's made from recycled pop bottles, not royalex like my OT Camper.  When I launch, fully half the Yak is on the bank and I pry myself out with an old short wooden canoe paddle and a series of lurching motions that I'm sure would be a viral sensation.  Upon return and landing, I blast toward shore full steam ahead and drive that sucker right up on the beach.  This technique eliminates the side to side wobble that can make exiting a chore. (It also scares off any flora and fauna bent on stealing my catch.) I then lift myself up enough with my arms to tuck my feet under me and gracefully exit the craft.

My challenge comes when it's time to load up on the roof racks of my jeep. The racks are so close to the roof that it
is virtually impossible to slide the kayak up on them without rubbing the painted body. And, my kayak has a few strategically placed metal fittings that really like to "Key the finish".  At 10 ft it hangs over the back enough that I can't easily raise the lift gate. I hate to say it, but I went snooping around today looking for an even smaller lighter Yak for my solo ventures. I will also admit that I was driven to the double paddle by lumbar damage caused by portaging a 79 pound Grumman standard all over Canada during my misspent youth.  I'm 66 and not as tall as I was at 25...

None the less, the Yak makes a wonderfully stable platform to cast or shoot from.  It also handles the wind better
than even a ballasted out canoe. Lately I have used it to creep around emergent weed beds and drop shoot through gaps in the weeds with what amounts to an ice fishing rod.  It's a blast and produces mongo sized panfish.

fish on,

Rivereddy

Spider1

« Reply #33 on: Jun 28, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Just to let everyone know I got out just fine last time. I took my crocks off, pulled my pant legs up, and actually stepped into the water. Seems to be the best way for me.

good deal. But why take your crocks off? They are rubber and dry off pretty fast don't they? I only ask cuz my grandson wears crocks in the water and I was thinking of getting a pair for myself.

At wally world they have fast drying pants. They are brushed nylon and wear like cotton Dockers and the legs zip off to make shorts. Step in the water, go swimming, splash around, and in a few minutes they are dry again.

lowaccord66

« Reply #34 on: Jun 29, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Nice vid Bart...all the yak talk hase jonesing.  I like going 40mph though...its a tough trade.

Rivereddy Ive had that issue with jeeps.  You may want to consider some thule cross bars which sit a bit higher I think.

taxid

« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2018, 01:16 PM »

good deal. But why take your crocks off? They are rubber and dry off pretty fast don't they? I only ask cuz my grandson wears crocks in the water and I was thinking of getting a pair for myself.

At wally world they have fast drying pants. They are brushed nylon and wear like cotton Dockers and the legs zip off to make shorts. Step in the water, go swimming, splash around, and in a few minutes they are dry again.

I took the crocks off because they add more on my foot to get caught on the accessories I added to the kayak as I turn to put my feet in the water. (Kayak is only 9 feet 6 inches long. In fact I don't even wear the when I peddle.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spider1

« Reply #36 on: Jun 30, 2018, 05:42 AM »
gotcha. I just stopped at the crocs outlet, we got one about 10 miles from my house. My grandson needed a pair of crocs for his job at an indoor water park so as he was trying them on I asked the lady what she suggested for kayaking. I picked up a nice pair of "swiftwater sandle" crocks. Got %60 off the kids crocs in the process  8)

taxid

« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2018, 04:40 PM »
What a crock!  ;D. Just kidding!

I love crocks. My wife turned me on to them.

I will tell you this: Once the thread wears off on the bottom get rid of them. If you step on a wet spot on a floor with them you will end up on your back. Don't ask me how I know!

boondox

« Reply #38 on: Jul 01, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Sounds like you need a tire tread sipping tool or a really good soldering iron?  To bring crocks back to life..

taxid

« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Well I never thought of that.  ;D

Spider1

« Reply #40 on: Jul 02, 2018, 05:34 AM »
I wore them yesterday when I went out to pick up a pizza. Gonna take some getting used to. The arch is a bit high and out of place but I really got them for kayaking and beach-bumming around. If I like 'em enough to wear out the thread I will take your advice and toss 'em for a new pair.

So are you getting the hang of getting in and out without the swimming part?

taxid

« Reply #41 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Yes no issues getting in and out now. Just have to realize I can't step out of the yak directly on to dry land like I can a regular boat. At least I can't. Swing feet over and into the water firmly planted on the bottom, and all is well.

BTW one of my customers fell of a roof and broke his back. Says he can only wear crocks from now on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.