FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New State Record Brown Trout Missouri  (Read 3336 times)

Fish Farmer

Re: New State Record Brown Trout Missouri
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2019, 11:46 AM »
If it is a raceway have you looked into baffles?

That is pretty much what my new boss wants to do with our raceways instead of cleaning by scrubbing, drawing down, etc.

I prefer a non fish zone at the back of each rearing area for settling solids. We actually have solid baffles hanging over our end screens inside where only maybe an inch of screen is exposed so the force pushes solids better. You can drain the sump without having the whole tank drain. The only problem it can pin fish quickly if they are small.

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2019, 08:22 AM »
If it is a raceway have you looked into baffles?

That is pretty much what my new boss wants to do with our raceways instead of cleaning by scrubbing, drawing down, etc.

I prefer a non fish zone at the back of each rearing area for settling solids. We actually have solid baffles hanging over our end screens inside where only maybe an inch of screen is exposed so the force pushes solids better. You can drain the sump without having the whole tank drain. The only problem it can pin fish quickly if they are small.

I'm looking into all options. Keep in mind this raceway will be small only about 6 or 8 feet long and a couple feet in diameter. I don't hatch many eggs compared to a typical trout farm. One of the issues I also had with the circular tank was, it was quite deep (I've seen redone it to adjust the depth) and then the silly fry would drop to the bottom and be too far down to accurately feed. Fine for when they reach about 4 inches or so but smaller I had issues.

Was going to order a fiberglass trough tank and was all excited as the company AES/Pentair had free shipping if an order was over $50.00. Well of course when I was ready to order they discontinued that. So I will be building one out of plywood and coating it as shipping is more than the tank!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fish Farmer

« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:52 PM »
We just bought some 250 gallon 5 foot circulars from Pentair to use as start tanks...they're pretty deep and a long reach to the other side. We normally use 12 foot long fiberglass tanks that are 20" wide and 6" to 8" deep to start fry. From there they go to 20 foot raceways that are 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep. We do use baffles in those we made out of black sheet plastic that is flexible.

Once we made mini circulars out of 15 gallon muck buckets. They worked well for starting fry and had steelhead in them for a year, about 20 to 25 fish per tank 4" to 7". We made a drain in the middle with a PVC shower drain which connected to a stand pipe outside the tank which we could unscrew(threaded PVC), it also had a smaller valve off the bottom for slow draining. We would run maybe a gallon or two through the tanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.