FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: resurecting frozen fish ?  (Read 6752 times)

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
resurecting frozen fish ?
« on: Jun 19, 2004, 06:00 AM »
Someone asked me if you can freeze fish and thaw them out .do they come back to life ?someone at a fish farm, told her this. that they freeze gold fish and thaw them and use them for bait on the farm . has anyone tried this .being the curious type I thought I'd ask you fellas before I put one of my goldfish in the freezer  ;D
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Jigwiggler

Re: resurecting frozen fish ?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2004, 07:41 AM »
I have had crappies freeze solid on the ice during winter only to bring them home and thaw them in the sink and they start splashing around all over. :-\
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2004, 08:58 AM »
We did an experiment in science class in High School, putting various fish outside in sub freezing temps  and then thawing them inside. It worked best with sucker minnows and when the temp was very cold, like -20 degrees. More fragile fish like bluegills and goldfish didnt survive. Now remember this was 42 yrs ago so we used what was available. LOL
Mike
""TIGHT LINES"

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2004, 09:59 AM »
While ice fishing about 10 years ago I only caught one keeper perch and by the time I got home it was frozen solid. I threw it in a  bucket of water to thaw. When I went back into the kitchen to clean it it was swimming. I took it down and put it in my bait tank and it stayed alive 3 weeks. I was so amazed.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2004, 10:53 AM »
I have also experienced this with perch and walleyes while ice fishing threw them in the pail froze by the end of the day once i returned home i put them in the sink to thaw out next thing you know they are thrashing around ;D.One time I had 4 walleyes in the sink swimming around i turned the light off in the room and came back about 45 min later and turned on the light and quickly ran over and the fish turned almost black it was pretty cool I knew that they could change color but to see it like that was pretty cool!

bayonne

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2004, 11:00 AM »
it happens all the time ice fishing i had amess of pickeral a friend loves them thier in a bag on the table my wife is standing thier the bag starts jumping she wanted to kill me that day they scared the hell out of her

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2004, 11:09 AM »
That is priceless isn't it Bayonne  ;) ;D

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2004, 12:41 PM »
Frozen fish I have ben told actually go blind. That is why you are suppose to cover their eyes when you go to release them in winter. I have also had fish come back to life on me. Always a funny moment when your partner at home is not expecting something to move inside the bag. ;D ;D
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

bayonne

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2004, 04:32 PM »
ya they start punching your shoulder and you say what!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2004, 06:11 PM »
On one of my pike excursions last winter, I ended up catching quite a few catfish. (no pike :P) I caught one catfish right after dawn. The temp. never got above -20 that day. The fish froze solid. and when I got home at 9:30 PM, I put it in warm water in the sink, mind you it had been frozen solid 13 hours, it started swimming around extremely lively. I guess catfish are tough in the cold too :D

OTIS

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2004, 11:20 AM »
I know an old guy who stuffs his fish in the snow bank by the side of his driveway when he gets home.  When he wants fish he goes out and grabs a couple, cleans them up and cooks them.  Every spring there would be a few dead fish on his lawn when the thaw hit.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2004, 01:18 PM »
I know an old guy who stuffs his fish in the snow bank by the side of his driveway when he gets home.  When he wants fish he goes out and grabs a couple, cleans them up and cooks them.  Every spring there would be a few dead fish on his lawn when the thaw hit.

This is truly a redneck freezer!!! I like it 8)

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2004, 10:09 PM »
Otis you have to be kidding me. Mind you if he puts one on each side of his driveway he can see where to go to avoid the ditch. ;D ;D
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2004, 06:58 AM »
Had this happen several times on the ice and when I got home they would flop around.

I think there is studies done to try to find what makes fish do this when it has not been perfected in cryrogenics for humans.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

bayonne

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2004, 07:51 AM »
its most likly that were warm blooded and fish aint what elscould explain it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.