FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Winni - Ice related  (Read 4590 times)

Roccus

Re: Lake Winni - Ice related
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2018, 07:07 AM »
FYI.. rental is official. I will be up there February 8th and leaving wednesday Feb 13th. Time to buy a laker rod.
be prepared..it's a different world during the derby..at least you'll have a few days after the carnage to unwind.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:53 AM »
That is exactly what i have been told over and over. Any tips?

I can tell you that my plan is to stay away from meredith area all together unless weighing in a fish. Also, do they radio over current leaders to avoid killing fish that wont make the board?

If I read correctly to enter the derby its just a $40 fee that covers you for both days.
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:55 AM »

I can tell you that my plan is to stay away from meredith area all together unless weighing in a fish. Also, do they radio over current leaders to avoid killing fish that wont make the board?

If I read correctly to enter the derby its just a $40 fee that covers you for both days.

They do a pretty good job of updating Facebook with the leader board. Not sure if they still do it, but we used to get our updates from the radio before FB became the go to for most.

Also make sure you get your ticket in advance. I believe you can order them online, and pick up in store. If you try to get it the day before it will be a circus.

And if the ice is “good” pretty much all of Winni becomes a zoo. I’m always amazed at how close all the full size + pickups get to bubblers when we are out there.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2018, 10:41 AM »
I do not have FB so crap out of luck there but thanks for the info.

I will definitely order my ticket before hand. It looks like they are not available until November.

There are only a few species I would target on Winni. The rest I would go elsewhere. In big tourneys like this you really have to think outside of the box. 2 ways to win in my opinion. Luck or to really do some homework and hope the stars align.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:03 AM »

that whole area becomes a circus...but by derby time..I've got enough ice  time in to know where to "hide"..I've ( or my partners) only missed winning money ( place prizes not hourly stuff) once in the last 7 years.. and if a certain someone hadn't released that monster slime dart.. we would have won the pickerel division last year too... anyway.. as long as their is ice and you have wheels ( or snow shoes or a sled).. you can escape the masses...I like being the only diner in town... the theory has treated me well for 50+ years of fishing... I see no need to change now... I will tell you that you need to be prepared for anything... the weather around the derby usually has some nasty trick up it's sleeve. Some years it's a blizzard.. some years it's a thaw.. some years it's a slushfest or it blows a gale for days on end.. some years there is hardly any ice at all.. it's like that proverbial box of chocolates..you never know what you will get..I prepare for everything... and embrace the challenge.

yes you can get your derby ticket on line..no face book for me either... but they do radio updates every hour on the WOLF ( local radio station)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:12 AM »
that whole area becomes a circus...but by derby time..I've got enough ice  time in to know where to "hide"..I've ( or my partners) only missed winning money ( place prizes not hourly stuff) once in the last 7 years.. and if a certain someone hadn't released that monster slime dart.. we would have won the pickerel division last year too... anyway.. as long as their is ice and you have wheels ( or snow shoes or a sled).. you can escape the masses...I like being the only diner in town... the theory has treated me well for 50+ years of fishing... I see no need to change now... I will tell you that you need to be prepared for anything... the weather around the derby usually has some nasty trick up it's sleeve. Some years it's a blizzard.. some years it's a thaw.. some years it's a slushfest or it blows a gale for days on end.. some years there is hardly any ice at all.. it's like that proverbial box of chocolates..you never know what you will get..I prepare for everything... and embrace the challenge.

yes you can get your derby ticket on line..no face book for me either... but they do radio updates every hour on the WOLF ( local radio station)

Joe, great post.

If for some reason its going to be just the old man and I, I will let you know and see if you want to team up. I had a blast fishing with you and am looking forward to doing it again, derby or not. Are you at all sticking around for a day or 2 after the derby to fish?

Also, not sure but i think Jon wanted to tag along with me as well. Jon are you 100% in?
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Oh and Joe, you would love my father. He is just like you except has an accent. lol
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Joe, great post.

If for some reason its going to be just the old man and I, I will let you know and see if you want to team up. I had a blast fishing with you and am looking forward to doing it again, derby or not. Are you at all sticking around for a day or 2 after the derby to fish?

Also, not sure but i think Jon wanted to tag along with me as well. Jon are you 100% in?
we'll have to see how it all shakes out... long time before I start getting too excited for that..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:25 AM »
No problem at all. One thing you wont see is me unless you agree to fish together. That i can promise.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:46 AM »
No problem at all. One thing you wont see is me unless you agree to fish together. That i can promise.
Lot's of time  to figure it all out..one way or the other I'll have a pulse on it to aid you as much as I can... if I can coax my old partner into fishing I'll probably fish with him. Other wise I'm  a lone wolf.. a group of guy's can be your best ally during the derby. Keeps the encroachment to a minimum. Plenty of time to make a plan for that.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Well Mike picked a vet in encroachment discouragement.  I have been polishing my skills this year.  Usually prefer to be a lone wolf and avoid masses and derbies but why not make an exception.  I know Ill eat well! 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:40 AM »
That makes the 3 of us. Only person that tags along with me almost everytime is my old man. Great to have a partner like him.
Wicked Wec

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 07, 2018, 11:59 AM »
There should be some added clarification regarding "freezing over" for the big lakes.

While they may not COMPLETELY freeze over, or freeze thick enough for ice travel, all parts of the lakes freeze differently.

For example, the north east section I like to fish has had close to 24" of ice for a number of years now.
As with any large body of water, the farther from shore and the deeper you go, the weaker the ice will be.

Pick your spots and maybe do a reconnaissance trip before the derby so that you can have an idea of what to expect.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.