FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How to Filet Trout/Salmon?  (Read 2085 times)

adkbrookie

How to Filet Trout/Salmon?
« on: Aug 08, 2006, 08:11 PM »
I know that there is i better way to do it than how i do. i end up having to pull the bones individually from the meat. >:(  I've just really started targeting lake trout and want to try some different ways of cooking them and other larger trout. any help would be great. thanks.

fishingonly2002

• hhmm I think I just felt a little thump.....
Re: How to Filet Trout/Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:18 PM »
I fillet evrything boneless.  salmon I leave the skin on cause I think it gives it good flavor.

~Neal
hey dad..... do alligators eat kayaks?

archbishop

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:21 PM »
i never really had a problem fileting trout ???
i have a few leftover bones that i just cut out, i am not very good with a filet knife either ???

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2006, 04:40 AM »
VERY good post, Mac. I think it applies to all fish being kept for the table.  :clapping:

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2006, 06:37 PM »
There are far better fish to eat
..Mac...I would tend to agree with you on almost all counts. Lakers are very fishy tasting and traditional fishermen tend to prepare them the way they have been shown over the years....I dont know how many times I've tried to get anglers to try this but when you do, you will likely never go back to eating Lakers on the bbq....BOIL boneless chunks to rid the fillet of the fat content....go over to the Clean Em and Eat Em section here for recipes....check out the "Trout Boil" recipe I've posted a couple years ago....Trust Me....once you've tried it, you will likely head out for somemore fishy Lakers for the table...BTW....nothing complicated about removing the strip of bones that run at an angle near the top portion of the fillet, even when you leave the skin on....slice down at an angle on two sides to remove the strip of bones after removing the ribcage....there's nothing left for bones after this....now go get em and eat em....Grump

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Others out there need to explore as rump suggests
...thanks for the "behind" the trout support Mac.....Rump ;D

Out4Trout

« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2006, 08:11 PM »
....go over to the Clean Em and Eat Em section here for recipes....check out the "Trout Boil" recipe I've posted a couple years ago....Trust Me....once you've tried it, you will likely head out for somemore fishy Lakers for the table.......Grump

Hey grump, Can you post a link to that recipe, I can't find it.
Thanks in advance.

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2006, 08:21 PM »
my bad...sorry about that Out4trout....the link is on Iceshanty.com     here it is...enjoy and tell someone else....Grump  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=26624.0

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2006, 08:26 PM »
throw the trout/salmon back and eat the perch/eyes

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

Nickp

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2006, 10:23 PM »
When your hungry boiling is easy- cube your pieces 2-3inches- boil 6-9 mins (I judge by tecture) Have really hot butter with garlic/parsley

I do perch and stripers often this way (if the perch are big enough/firm)

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2006, 08:29 AM »
What about the potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.
Do you eat them too Grump.
Don't they absorb the fish taste?
...suprisingly not at all Mac...its a refreshing change....oh....some fresh dill goes really well with it too....Grump

adkbrookie

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2006, 09:08 AM »
thanks for all the advice. i did try boiling them before and it did get rid of most of the fishy taste. the recipe was origionally used by the fishing companies that operated on the great lakes to feed the crew. they used a huge pot and fire and when it was all done the cook would throw on whatever form of accelerant was on hand, causing the pot to boil over, taking the oils, dirt and other unwanteds with it.

i know about what mac is saying with the poisons and stuff. :-\ I'm young and had my levels checked since I have eaten a lot of fish for a while and my levels were normal. ;D i have been eating brook trout almost all the time. they are mostly from ponds w/out bait fish. the lakers that i am taking are from a pond were the primary forage for them are these little white/clear shrimp thingies that would have to be tied as ~ a # 22-26 fly. also the meat is not white but more of an organge pink, like good brook trout. these fish are not splake. i do remove as much of the fat from the fish that i eat as possible.

i'll go and try just cutting out the strip of meat in a minute. thanks again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.