FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Evinrude Portable Gas Tank Gasket  (Read 3787 times)

bighillbilly

Evinrude Portable Gas Tank Gasket
« on: Apr 20, 2006, 03:26 PM »
My 6 gallon tank for my 14 ft. aluminum seems to be leaking a bit from around the gauge assembly.  I can't find a replacement gauge assembly for the old evinrude tank and don't want to dish out $80+ for a new metal can or go with the less expensive plastic models.  Tempo parts suggested making my own gasket with some gasket material by tracing the old gasket and then cutting out a new one.  Anyone have any experience with this.  What type of gasket material am I looking for, do I just cut it with scissors, ???

kappydick

Re: Evinrude Portable Gas Tank Gasket
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Go to the auto store and tell them you want some gasket cork for making gaskets...then trace it cut it with scissors or an exacto blade if it's real small...should be an easy fix for ya...then again with gasoline you might need something different..not sure but tell them the application and i'm sure they'll hook you up..good luck

FarginIcehole

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2006, 04:52 PM »
hi temp silicone,comes in a red tube,will fix it

fishin magician

• Fly Fishing rules
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2006, 06:47 PM »
I would go with the gasket material like the fist reply said. I had the same problem 2 years ago with my evinrude 18 hp with the two lines coming out of the tank and the pump on the top of the tank. It is almost impossible to find a replacement tank for that model so we have to keep maintaining the old ones until they are no longer with us. I took everything apart and lubed the pump and replaced the hose and put a new gasket from material I cut, on the top assembly. Works good as new, just have to keep it in good condition for another 35 years and we will have it made.
      For my other evinrude, I just replaced it with the plastic tank. Plastic is better if you ask me. It doesn't rust and it is easy to see if you need more gas, esier to carry, doesnt scratch the boat bottom, and is a lot cheaper. I wish they made a replacement for the other evinrude I have. Talk later,
                                                                                                                             Magician

bighillbilly

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2006, 08:57 PM »
I got the gasket material tonight at Pep Boys and cut one out.  Before I put it in place do I need to grease the gasket or stick it in place with anything or just lay it down and tighten the screws?

TJ

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2006, 01:07 PM »
U r probably done by now, but... you can glue that gasket down if you like, sum fuel and oil friendly silicone will do the trick. But unless it is holding back a flood, you do not need silicone. If it is imersed in gas, than yes, because it could expand or contract and not seal properly.
Later TJ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.