FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: outboard motor question  (Read 4350 times)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
outboard motor question
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:31 PM »
i have a 1987 evinrude 90 hp outboard. when i was doing a little maintenance to the motor, i put the muffs on it and noticed the water was only coming out of the lower unit , and not the peehole coming out of the block.
              should the water go through the engine immediately or is there a thermostat that needs to open first? if so how long should it take to open? i dont want to run it unless i know its ok  :-\. i know eventually the water has to come out of there but just dont want to wait too long if it should be right away!!

thx in advance  ;D
Scotty 

killitandgrillit

Re: outboard motor question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Scott2-
 Yes, it should start peeing out of the water outlet right away. To my knowledge, there is no thermostat on a outboard boat motor- I could be wrong on the newer engines. I'm guessing there is a blockage in the water path through the block- would prolly be a bad idea to run it for long if it's not cooling correctly. Could be sand, dirt, mineral buildups, or a bad impeller.
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

Pikeguy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Yeah, check that stuff out...it should be running water through immediately :-\

OTIS

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Start with a coat hanger up the pee hole.  Mud wasps love to build nests in places like that.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 03:02 PM »
I've dug zebra mussels out of mine.  My motor just trickles water out until you've had it running for a few minutes then it squirts it out pretty good.  Its a merc 6.

Its a very simple problem to fix.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 03:07 PM »
well i took the advice of the mebership here and ran a small diameter wire up the peehole!! its flowing like a river!! thx to all who replied...problem fixed in half an hour thx to the great collective MFF minds!!
Scotty 

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 04:37 PM »
not the peehole coming out of the block.

It's funny how everyone uses the same technical terms for there boat parts!! I don't think I've every heard it called anything else.

you said peehole........ ;D ;D

Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 05:06 PM »
thanks mac...i do have a new impeller, one of those parts that , like you said is cheap, so its good to have around. but i didnt want to pull the lower unit unless i was sure of the problem first...i let it run for 20 mins and water was still nice and cool!  ;D 
Scotty 

fishryc

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 05:12 PM »
i have a 1987 evinrude 90 hp outboard. when i was doing a little maintenance to the motor, i put the muffs on it and noticed the water was only coming out of the lower unit , and not the peehole coming out of the block.
              should the water go through the engine immediately or is there a thermostat that needs to open first? if so how long should it take to open? i dont want to run it unless i know its ok  :-\. i know eventually the water has to come out of there but just dont want to wait too long if it should be right away!!

thx in advance  ;D
We started a friends motor, a 1985 Evinrude 70hp this last weekend in his driveway for the first time this year. The upper peehole initially flowed very well; then petered out to nothing and the lower unit got hot. We determined, and were proved to be  correct, that when we tried to run at fast RPM's, the flow from muffs was inadequate. What was strange, though, is when we resumed low RPM running, the upper pee hole flow did not return?  We decided to take a chance, and when at the ramp on the water with the lower unit fully submerged, realised a great flow out from all required portals. We felt that the muffs are an inadequate water supply; worked for us when we thought we had a water flow problem.  Good luck....   take her to the water / boatslip before a trip is planned...........
S
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Ice Dawg

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:19 PM »
I always like to check the old pee hole out before I head out for some fishing. ::) ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2006, 11:43 AM »
GREAT STORY, fishing off goat island in the upper niagara river. Just before the reefs, the carbonedom? And were near the warning sings for the falls. Go to start the motor on a 27' searay and no go, lights on and no start. Out goes tha nachor, no bite, still no bite. Getting panicky, falls are coming.
The motors begins to start then cuts off, what the hell? still no bite on the anchor. I check the REAR pee hole to find a bag sticking out of it. It was blocked and the motor would not begin to run.
Took the bag out and whammo it started up.
I believe it was the water intake, but hte peehole comment got me thinking. Sometimes it just that simple and we begin to panic and think bad thoughts.

NICE SIMPLE SOLUTION!
Internet heros give it a rest!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.