FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just curious !  (Read 9934 times)

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
Re: Just curious !
« Reply #30 on: Jul 12, 2006, 10:50 AM »
Ive been doing fish taxidermy for the past four years, as a hobby.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #31 on: Jul 12, 2006, 11:07 AM »
Ive been doing fish taxidermy for the past four years, as a hobby.

Do you use the filler method or forms ?
I use forms but some say it's easier to fill . I don't know how it would be . It seems to be a lot more work .
I get most of my things from Wasco But I'm looking for a new place to get my borax from so I can get a better quantity and price .
I also use polytranspar paints only ! I have tried some of the other pints but don't care for the end results of the colors .

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #32 on: Jul 12, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Do you use the filler method or forms ?
I use forms but some say it's easier to fill . I don't know how it would be . It seems to be a lot more work .
I get most of my things from Wasco But I'm looking for a new place to get my borax from so I can get a better quantity and price .
I also use polytranspar paints only ! I have tried some of the other pints but don't care for the end results of the colors .

Ive only done filler, but wnat to do the forms. Are the forms pretty easy? With the filler, the problem is when you place the filler in, its hard to hold the fishes shape the way you want it.IM still working on perfecting it, as i only do one a year or so. My uncle taught me all of it, and what he does sometime with the filler, is make styrofoam forms himself, put filler around it to fill in the holes, and also filler in any crevice the form might not cover, ex, cheeks, eyesockits, and the tip of the tail. Try vandykes, they have an endless amount of supplies, and will send you a huge magazine of their products, for fish, and animals. I only do the hand painting. Never tried airbrush. Heres vandykes website http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/, they have all kinds of supplies in all quantities

Fishing is life

MIRC!

1tigger

« Reply #33 on: Jul 12, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Ive only done filler, but wnat to do the forms. Are the forms pretty easy? With the filler, the problem is when you place the filler in, its hard to hold the fishes shape the way you want it.IM still working on perfecting it, as i only do one a year or so. My uncle taught me all of it, and what he does sometime with the filler, is make styrofoam forms himself, put filler around it to fill in the holes, and also filler in any crevice the form might not cover, ex, cheeks, eyesockits, and the tip of the tail. Try vandykes, they have an endless amount of supplies, and will send you a huge magazine of their products, for fish, and animals. I only do the hand painting. Never tried airbrush. Heres vandykes website http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/, they have all kinds of supplies in all quantities
I have used them and several other suppliers .
If you haven't tried an airbrush you really should . I feel the outcome is a much better result and sooo much faster .
As for the forms yes they are easier and a lot less messy and are a lot faster .
They dry faster and are a lot easier getting the skin to do what you want .
In my opinion forms produce a much better mount too .
I'm sure you will get mixed opinions on this but this is what I have found .

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
« Reply #34 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Just like most of taxidermy, different states have different regs.  After that cwd was brought into this state and spread at a taxidermist shop, many taxidermists are a bit confused on the new regs.  Don't even consider doing anything with waterfowl unless you get all the permits.  Even if you are doing animals for your own mounts, keep any and all records you have on them, dates, pictures, filled out tags.  I don't think the dec has the same restictions like the police, they don't need as much probable cause to do searches for game animal violations.  This is what I heard when I was learning taxidermy.  Don't get me wrong, they are not doing it to be jerks but to protect the natural resources of our state which is a very noble cause.  But you also don't want to be fined because of a technicality.

1tigger

« Reply #35 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:28 PM »
No birds here !
I havent tried them yet . The only thing I do is fish and fur and thats for myself but I do record everything .

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #36 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:33 PM »
does anyone have a simple way to do furs. Id like to try some rabbit furs. I want them to be soft like the ones they sell in the stores. I think you have to tan them. Is there an easy way to go about that?

i only do fish to as of right now

Fishing is life

MIRC!

1tigger

« Reply #37 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:34 PM »
does anyone have a simple way to do furs. Id like to try some rabbit furs. I want them to be soft like the ones they sell in the stores. I think you have to tan them. Is there an easy way to go about that?

i only do fish to as of right now

You can buy kits from Wasco Taxidermy or most any taxidermy supply house .

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #38 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:35 PM »
you can buy tanning kits..but its been my experience that they dont work so well... its a process the conventional way but thats by far the best.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

1tigger

« Reply #39 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:39 PM »
I have heard the animals brains are a good way too but I havent tried that and I'm not sure I will .
Sounds like more work than it's worth and the smell is enough to turn me away from that process .

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #40 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:44 PM »
yea ive been looking at the kits, they do a whole deer skin, or the equivilent in smaller ones. It comes with directions too. I may give it a shot?

Fishing is life

MIRC!

tucker

« Reply #41 on: Jul 12, 2006, 01:02 PM »
I would not start off with rabbits.  there skin is sooooooo thin and it rips very easy.  When you get it in the solution for tanning the skin is now very slimy and thin, bad combination to start off with.

tucker

« Reply #42 on: Jul 12, 2006, 01:06 PM »
The process of tanning goes something like this.  Flesh, degrease if necessary and salt to remove moisture and some proteins in the skin.  Then you have to pickle the skin in a low ph solution to remove soluble proteins from to stop the rotting process.  Then you have to neutrilize the acid or it will eat up the tissue.  Then you have to add a tanning oil to the skin to replace the proteins that you have removed.  Then you have to let dry and then work the skin for hours to get it soft.  It is a very rewarding process when you get done with it.

There is a whole discussion group run by wasco on their website for those wanting to know more.  It is very interesting reading for those not interested.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #43 on: Jul 13, 2006, 02:56 PM »
alright thanks

im working on a bass this week, ill post some pics

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.