MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Jigging

Bucktail jigs

(1/3) > >>

walleyechaser:
Has anyone ever tried to tie their own bucktail jigs?  I found these rattlin bucktail jigs at Gander Mountain and they work awesome.  Now they are out and I can't find them anywhere.  I have a ton of buckshot rattle jigs and some bucktail but I can't figure out how to tie it on.

Anyone?  Anyone?

your help is much appreciated.

xrhino:
What is the specific problem?  Do you own a vice?  It would make life easier, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.  Do you own a bobbin?  I think your going to need that.

Being an experienced fly tier, my mind just thinks "cut off a hunk and lash it on there."  If you give a better idea of what you need, I'd be happy to help.

MODIFIED: Does this help?

http://www.lurebuilding.nl/engspinnerbucktailthijs.html

OTIS:
A vice of any type would greatly improve your ability to tie jigs, other than that I don't think you need any special equipment.  Although like xrhino said, a bobbin would probably make life easier.

Start your thread by tying a knot onto the jig head, and then give it a couple wraps.  Cut the amount and length of bucktail that you would like to use, then push it up the hook to the bottom of the jig head.  Start wrapping the thread moving down the collar of the jig head.  Once you're happy with the wrap, tie off the thread and give it a couple coats of clear nail polish.

walleyechaser:
thanks guys.  Xrhino I printed out that article and I'll give it another shot tonight.

Pain in the arse this stuff can be.  I got bucktail all over my kitchen.

xrhino:

--- Quote from: walleyechaser on Jul 25, 2006, 03:17 PM ---thanks guys.  Xrhino I printed out that article and I'll give it another shot tonight.

Pain in the arse this stuff can be.  I got bucktail all over my kitchen.

--- End quote ---
Good luck.  I know what a mess it can be.  Just be glad you aren't spinning and trimming it.  I've got a dustbuster and one of those sticky lint brush things by the door of my tying room and I still find hair and feathers all over the house. >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version