FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bull head?  (Read 5460 times)

broken rod

• CPR
bull head?
« on: Mar 28, 2004, 08:25 PM »
whats a good way to cook these ive never had them but after reading all the post about how good they are im going to have to keep a couple ;D
tight lines, chuck

Cider

Re: bull head?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2004, 09:36 PM »
Just like a freshwater catfish or a burbot/cusk.  I like to batter them and then cook very fast in high temperature oil.  A wok works great or a fry daddy deep fryer.  I use a cast iron lodge sportsmans fish fryer.  Get your oil up to around 300F and leave the nuggets in until they are golden brown.  It will only take a few minutes.  Peanut oil, in my opion, imparts the best flavor in the fish during the deep frying process.

Serve 'em up as is or with tartar sauce or make a sandwich out of them.  They go great with hush puppies, fried green tomatoes, and fresh raw scallions!!

You can also bake them...

Fish Dog 67

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Hey Cider,

Is that an English Setter or his fancy cousin the Lluellan (sp?)?  Just wondering as I do alot of bird hunting.

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Hey Cider,

Is that an English Setter or his fancy cousin the Lluellan (sp?)?  Just wondering as I do alot of bird hunting.

Actually, they are all English Setters.  There are just different varieties depending upon who did the breeding and what traits that person was looking for in a gundog.  There are three well known types of English Setters.  He is the llewellin field english setter, not a Ryman setter, or one of those funny looking lanky, hairy show Lavarack setters you see at Westminster dog show each year!

The llewellin's were bred for the field and heavy brush as they are smaller and can pass through it easier than a Ryman setter can.

He is registered with FDSB in Chicago as an official Llewellin English Setter.  A lot of people call field setters llewellins, but they have to be able to trace their ancestry back to R.L. Purcell Llewellin and the original Duke-Rhobe-Lavarack cross to be registered as such.

Ryman's are great setters too.  I have hunted behind many of them.

venisonman

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2004, 05:11 PM »
Take smaller ones, skin em, boil em, dip in melted butter. Taste and texture like lobster tails!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

cenobite07

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2004, 11:07 AM »
We usually bake them with cajun seasoning.

I'm going to have to try them boiled. We do it all the time with cod to make "mock lobster".
We have such Sights To Show You....

chrisfrank

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2004, 07:48 PM »
I like to take filets,  poke them to hell with a fork.   Soak it in butter/olive oil mix for a minute.  then sprinkle some Mrs Dash.  stick that bad boy on a foreman grill for a few minutes.  squeeze on a little lemon when it's done.   

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2004, 06:04 PM »
what is the best size for bullheads to eat?
We have usually only small ones around here, like 10"ers, but once I caught one about 15" and about 3 lbs.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2004, 10:47 PM »
I believe the smaller ones are tastier in that they have a less mud taste. The flesh is a lot lighter. The lighter the flesh the better tasting. 10" is perfect size. I only keep the big slobs when the water is really cold. 7-11" is normally what I like.

Normally I make a mixure of bread crumbs, corn meal, flour, salt, and lemon-pepper seasoning. Roll them in butter, dip them in egg, then roll them around in my breading and fry them in peanut oil. :-*
Harold

docbas

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2004, 07:59 PM »
I have to agree with the frying technique, and make sure they're done crispy.  The smaller ones are definitely better to eat, the larger one taste dirty.  They're definitely the best when you can skin and cook them as you catch them.  Yummy!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.