FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: canoes, river fishing  (Read 7271 times)

red_eyes

canoes, river fishing
« on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:18 PM »
I know that you dont have to register a canoe, and I was thinking of maybe purchasing one, for trolling lakes and ponds, I  would like a stable one, that I could use for river fishing.How are radissons, and Old town, would like to find one that would last many years of rugged use. any good canoes out there, how do they ride in rivers?

broken rod

• CPR
Re: canoes, river fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:35 PM »
i have a old alumacraft and i love it for the smaller lakes around here i use it ocasionaly on the wisconsin river. i seen a guy laster year that had 2 small pontons attached to his canoe attached by rods and he was standing in his casting. looked like a good idea :)
tight lines, chuck

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2004, 09:35 PM »
I have an Old Town discovery 160k.  It is a 16' canoe and very stable.  I can stand in it and fly cast.  If taken care of, it will last you for many years.

Mine can be paddled, oared, and motor by electric trolling motor.  I have rigged it with my Eagle Cuda 128 and it is a great fishing boat for smaller ponds/lakes.  Pretty good on rivers too.

In NH you have to register canoes if they are powered (gas or electric).

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:37 AM »
I have a 15' radison and love it especialy the weight, only 46lbs.I can carry it by myself.Like most alluminum boats you have to be carefull of sharp rocks.
Bubba

venisonman

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:00 PM »
I have an Ocean Kayak Ambush. It is stable enough for 2 guys to stand and flyfish. They have all kinds of accessories to rig up for fishing

We also use it on the river for ducks, but sitting only. Not sure if they still make them. Try oceankayak.com
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

fishin fool

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2004, 10:13 PM »
If your planning on running rivers, I'd stay away from an aluminum canoe.  Just my two cents

Jeff

Smelt1

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:08 AM »
The only river I run is when I run ahead of my buddies to my favorite fishing pool. ;D If you do plan on running rapids then kevlar is the only way to go but be prepared for sticker shock. $750 on up.
Bubba

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2004, 10:41 PM »
i have a old alumacraft and i love it for the smaller lakes around here i use it ocasionaly on the wisconsin river. i seen a guy laster year that had 2 small pontons attached to his canoe attached by rods and he was standing in his casting. looked like a good idea :)

BR,

Interesting you would mention the pontoons. I have thought about rigging up a couple of pontoons for my canoe, like a Catamaran for stability. Glad to hear I am not the only nut with an idea like this.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Cider

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:04 AM »
My old town is made of kevlar and really stands up to a lot of abuse.  It also has a wide beam with keels integrated into it which makes it extremely stable.  I can stand up and fly cast in it.  The pontoon idea should stabilize any canoe just fine.

Smelt1

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:41 AM »
Now you guy's are going to look like a bunch of hawaians paddling around with your outriggers.I actually bought a pair for my radison because my canoe also has a sail for it so if I don't feel like paddling I put up the sail and go like crazy the only problem was that it was a little unstable in high winds so I put the outriggers on it and now I can sit on the side without it tipping over.
Bubba

red_eyes

« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2004, 02:24 PM »
i was thinking about getting the old town, 15' , its got a square stern on back foir a motor, looks like a good buy.

crappieloo

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2004, 05:15 AM »
I have a 16 ft. Wenona Adirondack kevlar, it weighs around 50 lbs. I stand up to cast sometimes and outriggers are not necessary. The only proble i have is when paddling solo a slight wind or current will turn it around. I fish from the bow seat and face(and paddle) toward the stern to trim the boat out, but will still have the problem at times. Fishing or paddling tandem works perfect. Im thinking of getting a shorter canoe or kayak so i can handle more wind and current.
Kevlar is expensive, but doesnt depriciate. The new royalex and composite plastic boats are great. They dont weigh that much and are able to bounce off rocks without damage and have a reasonable cost.
A 15 footer sounds good.
crappieloo

Cider

« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:29 AM »
crappieloo - take your five gallon ice-fishing pail and fill it with rocks and put it in the boat for ballast.  Works like a charm and is cheaper than another boat!

crappieloo

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2004, 06:44 PM »
Yeah, i was told that by the canoe outfitters. I like to go light and was hesitating to do that. One time my son and i got ''stuck'' downstream with a strong wind blowing downstream also. There was no way we could come back! We ended up switching places. I was in the bow and he was all squished up in the stern, both facing backwards.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 04:22 PM »
I got a 17' Grumman aluminum, trolling motor and battery, fishing buddy fish finder, coolers, big heavy tackle bag, life jackets, camping gear, and 2 guys in my canoe before without problems. We all stayed a float just fine. I love fishin out of it, hudson river, lakes, streams, I take it every where. I had it out on the hudson a few years ago in the spring when the water was over 5-6 feet higher than normal, after a warm wet thaw, run off, etc. Did just fine, but don't thing I'll do that again. The water was running hard, whitecaps from currant not wind. Grumman makes a h*ll of an aluminum canoe. No water to big for my canoe.
Check out my pictures in the general pictures topic under Camofish pics, has and is serving me well.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.