FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Landlock Salmon  (Read 13402 times)

Cider

Re: Landlock Salmon
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:37 PM »
Well I've got to get out my Renzetti vise and get busy.

Now you're just making me jealous!!  All I have is a regal...  :'(  :-\  :(  Ahhh, but it gets the job done!  ;D

Thanks for the rigging tips.  This is sort of what I had in mind.

I just hate it when I switch over to casting after trolling and I get a hook-up and start to reel her in and there is the world's largest ball of string sitting in front of my spool!  Hand-lining a fish with braided dacron through the ice is easy compared to mono with an angry trout on the other end!!

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Cider I know all to well your pain. I used to use a reel that was'nt a level wind for my leadcore line once.I hooked into a very large laker and proceeded to just reel him in not paying any attention to how the line was going on to the reel.Well you proberly can guess what happened next.About 20 ft. from landing the fish my reel frozze up,I looked at it in disbelief as the leadcore was wedged all in one spot.I had to hand line that fish in and in a weak moment at the boat forgot that this was not a bass and reached in his mouth with my thumb.You would of thought I had a pirranha on that line with all the blood that was gushing out of my torn up finger,and I still have that scar on my thumb 12 yrs later.
Bubba

Cider

« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:20 AM »
I had to hand line that fish in and in a weak moment at the boat forgot that this was not a bass and reached in his mouth with my thumb.You would of thought I had a pirranha on that line with all the blood that was gushing out of my torn up finger,and I still have that scar on my thumb 12 yrs later.

Dude, you've got battle scars!!  I used to love it when my thumb would get all calloused from lippin' bigmouth bass all day long!  Never got a battle scar before though!  Now I am really jealous!!!  ;D

btw- glad you got to land the fish too!

fishboy1

• I like pickled sticklebacks
« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2004, 09:08 AM »
Hey Bubba - did I get the right ones?!?

I always like using the speedy shiners by Thomas (far right in first picture).  Can't remember what the two between those and the Chev Chase spoons are called.  I got those at LL Cote in Errol.  They are made locally too.  I have never noticed those Chev Chase lures hanging in the aisle until you mentioned them here.  They look like they would be pretty effective.  What color works well for you on Winni?  I have heard that red/orange with the black dots can be a killer.

Capt. Rich Greenough on Lake Champlain makes spoons similar to these for tolling lakers/salmon that he calls "Hot Items".  I saw him at a sportsman's show and those lures looked awesome.  Unfortunately, he didn't have any for sale to the general public at the time.  Can't figure out where to find any of them.  He says that the paint will not come off of his spoons under any condition.

I almost fell off my chair when I saw the picture of the Blue/Silver Speedy Shiner....it's been my hot hot hot lure this spring.....the browns and brookies really like those colors....
I love my pimped out 66 Corson

Cider

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2004, 09:21 AM »
I almost fell off my chair when I saw the picture of the Blue/Silver Speedy Shiner....it's been my hot hot hot lure this spring.....the browns and brookies really like those colors....

They do work well don't they!?!  I remembered what the two are in between the Speedy Shiners and the Chevy Chases.  They are DB trolling spoons.  I got them at LL Cote in Errol for fishing on Lake Umbagog.  Not sure the history of those lures, but Mr. Cote told me that they are locally made (NH or Maine I think) and he offered to sell them in his store for him.  They work well for salmon/trout too.

fishboy1

• I like pickled sticklebacks
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2004, 10:05 AM »

They do work well don't they!?!  I remembered what the two are in between the Speedy Shiners and the Chevy Chases.  They are DB trolling spoons.  I got them at LL Cote in Errol for fishing on Lake Umbagog.  Not sure the history of those lures, but Mr. Cote told me that they are locally made (NH or Maine I think) and he offered to sell them in his store for him.  They work well for salmon/trout too.
yes, I don't own a DB smelt but a buddy of mine started to use one last year and did really well on the Salmon.....he swears by them.
I love my pimped out 66 Corson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.