FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What kind of knife sharpener do you like?  (Read 5401 times)

slipbob

What kind of knife sharpener do you like?
« on: Apr 07, 2004, 03:02 PM »
I just bought a chef's choice diamond hone 110 from Cabela's and love it.  It is electric with 3 progressive slots.  One for rough honing the second for more fine tuning and the third for the final micro edge.  Supposedly there are orbiting diamonds in the sucker I don't know I haven't seen them but I will take their word for it.  It was about 90 bucks and puts the best freakin edge I have ever seen on a knife.  I actually read the instructions too before I used it.  That's unusual for me but there were certain steps to take as far as the number and speed of passes through each slot.  I have sharpened all my kitchen knives and my fillet knives and the edge lasts and lasts.  Does anybody else use an electric sharpener or do you like the hand style sharpeners?

Cider

Re: What kind of knife sharpener do you like?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I use a Lansky sharpener system, a DMT double sided diamond hone, a diamond coated sharpening steel in the kitchen for maintenance, and traditional arkansas stones.  Never went in for the electric sharpeners or knives for that matter.

Somers

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:49 AM »
I had the chefs choice years ago but I didn't like it.  Seemed to really eat up the blades.  I didn't read the manual, so maybe I should have lol.

I want to get a system that has the premeasured angles and corresponding stones to use w/ them.  I forget the name offhand.  Saw it in Cabelas as well.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2004, 07:29 AM »
I use the DMT diamond sharpening system. I have 2 one is 600 grit the other is 1200 grit. They are like a bench stone. You use water not oil. Work real good and they will not hollow out after years of use.  ;D ;D
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2004, 11:23 AM »
I have a custom made fillet knive and I would never put the steel of that knive against any kind of mechanical sharpener. a hand sharpened knive with a good stone is the way I do mine.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2004, 12:35 PM »
     Any quality course stone to set the edge/angle then an Arkansas stone to finish.  That's all I've ever needed, sharp enough to shave with.  Electric would be alright if you had alot of knives to sharpen.  There is just something I enjoy about hand sharpening my knives though.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2004, 05:53 PM »
I buy all commercial kitchen knives from a restaurant supplier. All I ever need is the diamond steel to sharpen them. I've looked at and tried the expensive kitchen knives and I'm just not impressed.

The single best thing you can do for your knives is buy a knife magnet so they're not clanking around in the drawer.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2004, 06:12 PM »
this stone system is great my 8yr could probally do it ive saved alot of knives for friends with this  ;D
                     http://www.hollandguns.com/Lansky.jpg
tight lines, chuck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.