FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Poll

3 questions  1)  Do you fish with barbless hooks?  2)  Do you believe that fishing with barbless hooks increase the survival chances of catch and release fish?;  3)  Do you think that you lose more fish while using barbless hooks?

Yes, Yes, Yes
32 (13%)
Yes, Yes, No
39 (15.8%)
Yes, No, Yes
8 (3.2%)
Yes, No, No
8 (3.2%)
No, Yes, Yes
62 (25.1%)
No, Yes, No
22 (8.9%)
No, No, Yes
59 (23.9%)
No, No, No
17 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 234

Author Topic: Poll - Barbless hooks?  (Read 19383 times)

troutman

Re: Poll - Barbless hooks?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:03 PM »
On some of my lures I file the barb off my hooks. They release nicely and no damage to the fish. I seldom loose a fish with no barb hooks; I’m mainly a lake trout fisherman. This kind of fish you need to know how to release one back to the lake safely. Once a laker starts to bleed it going to die. Those extra wide gap hooks should be outlawed. Try fishing with the barb off your hooks. You are protecting the fishery. If you are a catch and release fisherman why would you want to use a hook with a barb on it.
Ray

flipstick

« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2005, 01:54 PM »
I like to use barbless because of the ease of removal.  As long as you keep the right amount of pressure on the fish, you should land it.  Besides, I'm not a professional angler so if I lose one or two, oh well, I'll go try for another.  I rate my success by how much fun I had, not how many I land.  Then again, I'll fish with a bare hook sometimes so my drinking time doesn't get interrupted. ;D

fredoo

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Yes 3x

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2005, 08:10 AM »
I've been known to use barbless hooks, not very often and sometimes just due to the fact that I actidently removed the barb when using pliers to remove the hook in a previous fish...As for the life of the fish, as most people have already stated if lip hooked i dont think the barb does damaged, but the gut is another story. And yes you lose more fish when using barbless...Im king of the polls today..

CRANKY

« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2005, 03:51 PM »
have not tried barbless though i really should because i usually practice c/r

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2007, 04:07 PM »
In Alberta, it is the law to fish with barbless.

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

rockhound57

• can't wait to fish
« Reply #21 on: Apr 08, 2007, 05:04 PM »
 :-[ I hate to say it, but I don't think using barbless would make a significant difference in my take home, but they would make a tremendous difference in my releases from gut or face/eye hooking; I lose a lot more than I land now!
   However, I am an occasional fly fisher, and tie most of my own; I always mash my barbs. With the trout populations only maintained by stocking, I don't want to hurt anything I'm not going to eat.  ;) :tipup:

Tight lines, singing drags :D
Too Soon Old - Too Late Smart!

Big Burk

« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2007, 11:08 PM »
the past season i used barbless most the time and my friend used barbed and we both had similar catch and hookspits but barbless were easy to remove and didnt put extra stress on the fish, i will only use barbless now carpfishing but still use both for everything else.

perch-man

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 03:54 PM »
In Manitoba it is law to be barbless once you get on to keeping steady pressure after hook set no problem .The release is quicker and fish do better.Sharp hooks are a must .

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 03:57 PM »
It's the law in Alberta.

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

rrfish

• Missouri River Brown
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 04:22 PM »
when flyfishing (90+ % of the time) always. don't hink i lose any more fish than anybody else.
  Hey Jiggy...pass me a beer will ya please?

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2011, 06:51 AM »
I Never use barbless...why would I want to lose what Im after? My hooks are always razor sharp, too...very important.
    A Country Boy can Survive!

ICE REBEL

• MEATS MEAT AN A MANS GOTTA EAT
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Barbless hooks  ??? Whats that? My hooks are razor sharp. Nothing ever gets off my hooks. :rotflol: :rotflol: Hook em an Cook em

JJBat150

« Reply #28 on: Apr 05, 2013, 08:24 PM »
I have recently introduced my 11 and 14 year old daughters to the sport... Barbless makes C&R so much easier with them. 

mr tip up

« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2013, 02:06 PM »
once and a while I will fish barbless hook   definitely in the catch and release areas

I thing less injury to the fish

don't think you loose a lot more fish
a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.