FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Who ya voting for?  (Read 6820 times)

minnowreaper

Re: Who ya voting for?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:00 PM »
the only thing i am going to think about the next time i vote is what gb and company have done to this country the last 8 years >:(

WMUAngler

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Presidents set Foreign policies
Congress (Senators & Representatives) set Domestic policies.

Think about that when ya vote. or fill your gas tank..............
 :-\

This is mostly true, but the President also has veto power.  That's been a problem.

MnSportsman

• 21 inch Brown. Tied Personal Best, 30 yrs apart
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02 PM »
Congress can over-ride a Presidents veto , by a majority vote.
 This just happened with the "Farm Bill" that just passed in the last few days.

I don't need to repeat what I posted earlier. It has been this way since the constitution was written.

The problems we are dealing with here in this country right now..., those problems are not just the result of the current Presidential administration. This situation we are in right now, has also been caused by the Congress. I won't even go into the results of programs & treaties signed by earlier Presidential administrations. (NAFTA is a good example of crappy programs. By NAFTA sending jobs & funds to other countries & taking away from Americans is not a good idea, it just plain "sucks".)

I don't know how other folks think, but I do know one thing... When the new President is sworn into office in January 2009, it isn't gonna change what has been going on with Congress.

Congress needs to "step up to the plate" & start giving us some RBI's & a home run or two. They don't have any trouble giving themselves a raise for COLaS (Cost of Living Allowances), & when we, their constituents, start to "crab"(b***h) about it, the members of Congress say, "OK I won't take a raise this year", & then they vote so that they can have a 4 day work week instead of a 5 day one.

I wish I could do that. Keep the same pay for a 40 hour week But only work 32. I'll take that any time.

I'll be voting this year for president. I'm gonna vote for a Veteran of the US Armed Services. I know who I would want to answer the phone at 3AM , if there was trouble in the world that could cause trouble for the USA. As a veteran myself, that is the only choice that I can see, given the choices I have to vote on.

You want "change" in the USA, then change Congress' way of thinking. The President who gets in office, really isn't gonna change much here at home.  Presidents usually don't submit Bills to Congress for a vote for passage. They wait for Congress to submit bills for Passage and decide whether to veto or not.

BTW, How's the new President, whomever is elected, gonna change anything? They don't control the Senators, nor the Representatives we elect to Congress.

I don't see the President, or the members of Congress, as being Democrat,Republican,Libertarian,Green, etc..
          I see them as people who were voted to do a job to represent us, their fellow Americans, to oversee our government, & make sure that decisions are made in the best interest of the citizens of our own U.S.A. To keep our idea of an independent,  free, democratic nation & it's ideals, as a "beacon" to those in the World who do not have the same situation that we do, in the countries that they live in.

Vote for who ya want to vote for. That's the great thing about our country, we really can do it. I hope the best person for the job, gets in there.

Vote, if ya don't, Ya can't complain.
;)

2 Browns & a rainbow                Chubby BlueGills with Shoulders. :)

bearsfan

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23 PM »
My votes for mnsportsman. Very well written.

minnowreaper

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 07:07 AM »

I don't need to repeat what I posted earlier. It has been this way since the constitution was written.

The problems we are dealing with here in this country right now..., those problems are not just the result of the current Presidential administration. This situation we are in right now, has also been caused by the Congress. I won't even go into the results of programs & treaties signed by earlier Presidential administrations. (NAFTA is a good example of crappy programs. By NAFTA sending jobs & funds to other countries & taking away from Americans is not a good idea, it just plain "sucks".)

I don't know how other folks think, but I do know one thing... When the new President is sworn into office in January 2009, it isn't gonna change what has been going on with Congress.

Congress needs to "step up to the plate" & start giving us some RBI's & a home run or two. They don't have any trouble giving themselves a raise for COLaS (Cost of Living Allowances), & when we, their constituents, start to "crab"(b***h) about it, the members of Congress say, "OK I won't take a raise this year", & then they vote so that they can have a 4 day work week instead of a 5 day one.

I wish I could do that. Keep the same pay for a 40 hour week But only work 32. I'll take that any time.

I'll be voting this year for president. I'm gonna vote for a Veteran of the US Armed Services. I know who I would want to answer the phone at 3AM , if there was trouble in the world that could cause trouble for the USA. As a veteran myself, that is the only choice that I can see, given the choices I have to vote on.

You want "change" in the USA, then change Congress' way of thinking. The President who gets in office, really isn't gonna change much here at home.  Presidents usually don't submit Bills to Congress for a vote for passage. They wait for Congress to submit bills for Passage and decide whether to veto or not.

BTW, How's the new President, whomever is elected, gonna change anything? They don't control the Senators, nor the Representatives we elect to Congress.

I don't see the President, or the members of Congress, as being Democrat,Republican,Libertarian,Green, etc..
          I see them as people who were voted to do a job to represent us, their fellow Americans, to oversee our government, & make sure that decisions are made in the best interest of the citizens of our own U.S.A. To keep our idea of an independent,  free, democratic nation & it's ideals, as a "beacon" to those in the World who do not have the same situation that we do, in the countries that they live in.

Vote for who ya want to vote for. That's the great thing about our country, we really can do it. I hope the best person for the job, gets in there.

;)
this country deserves alot better than more of the same,the current administrations policy's both foreigner and domestic have proved to be absolute failures and i for one dint want a president who cant see whats wrong with our current policies ::)

WMUAngler

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 08:36 AM »

;)

Yes, congress can over-ride a veto, but only with a 2/3 majority vote.   If the Republicans agree with the President, than the veto will stand everytime.  I agree that many of the problems this country is facing, stem from congress' actions, and that is exactly why the people have been voting to change congress.  Take a look at all of the recent congressional elections, including the two recent special elections.  The people are resoundingly saying that they are tired of the Republicans, and they are voting Democrats into seats that have always been held by Republicans.  The people want change, and based on the congressional elections over the last 5 years, they're getting change.   I will continue to vote Democratic, so we can hopefully get this country back on track.  Congress has been rebuilding the team for a few years now, and I think after one more year of Democratic wins, we'll have an impressive lineup that will be hitting plenty of RBIs and Homeruns.

I'll be voting this year for President as well; and I will not be voting for the hot headed 72 year old, who admits that he knows the military well, but that he isn't very well-versed in Economics.  This country doesn't need another fear-monger, war President.  It needs an intelligent, and diplomatic President who understands Economics during this recessionary period.  Besides, at 72 years old, I doubt that McCain will be waking up for a 3 am phone call, unless of course it coincides with his bowel movements.  ;D

People can vote for whoever they'd like, but I hope they will consider this country's decline over the last 8 years, and vote Democratic.  I will be.

WaterReaver

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 11:07 AM »
...but that he isn't very well-versed in Economics.  This country doesn't need another fear-monger, war President.  It needs an intelligent, and diplomatic President who understands Economics during this recessionary period...

I'm avoiding political party affiliation and political rhetoric altogether and focusing on a quick Economics lessons for those interested.  It's unfair to "condemn" or "congratulate" a president regarding the Economy of the United States as the policies/procedures they legislate seldom significantly impact this issue.  A study of history exemplifies that recession/depression is the direct result of factor beyond the control of the president.  The collapse of world markets, a sudden decrease in [food] supplies, a rapid rate of inflation, greed and capitalism, and other factors that are non-legislative create recession and depression. 

Some presidential policies have a lingering affect on the Economy...an example being NAFTA shipping some jobs south of the border...but with the majority of companies moving operations overseas (IE- Asia) it has had little overall impact.  Furthermore, war/conflict is generally considered an exit strategy from recession/depression as monies get pumped into the domestic economy to produce the tools necessary to facilitate success (eg. World War I, World War II). 

Finally, the current [overstated] recession can be attributed to number of factors, none of which can be significantly legislated by the sitting president...nor changed by the next elected president.  Though the current conflict in the Middle East has impacted the price of oil...the demand for oil (worldwide) has never been higher with China purchasing an estimated 900 billion gallons per year (equal to the US).  The mortgage crisis has forced a multitude of otherwise unqualified people to rely on [Federal and state] government subsidies to survive.  Domestic food supplies are either being diverted to other nations suffering from poor agriculture or in an effort to produce environmental friendly, renewable (see green) energy...driving up the costs on all consumer goods.  I do not pretend to have any solutions for these problems...but blaming/praising one man because he's from the wrong/right political party seems counterproductive and  uneducated.

I suggest you "stop drinking the koolaid," "take off the shaded glasses," or (enter cliche here) and realize that being the president of the most powerful nation in the world is a thankless job and requires immense amounts of time and energy.  Not everyone can be satisfied and someone will always complain...but the great thing about this country is that YOU have the right to be dissatisfied and the right to complain.

MnSportsman

• 21 inch Brown. Tied Personal Best, 30 yrs apart
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 06:38 PM »
WaterReaver. Well said.
and Amen.

I thank you for your post & want to say that , "there is more than one significant part of what your post says, that I agree with whole-heartedly. " Once again, well said!
:clapping:

Get out & Vote Folks, like I said before, if ya don't vote, ya can't complain.
 ;)

2 Browns & a rainbow                Chubby BlueGills with Shoulders. :)

Speed

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Yes, congress can over-ride a veto, but only with a 2/3 majority vote.   If the Republicans agree with the President, than the veto will stand everytime.  I agree that many of the problems this country is facing, stem from congress' actions, and that is exactly why the people have been voting to change congress.  Take a look at all of the recent congressional elections, including the two recent special elections.  The people are resoundingly saying that they are tired of the Republicans, and they are voting Democrats into seats that have always been held by Republicans.  The people want change, and based on the congressional elections over the last 5 years, they're getting change.   I will continue to vote Democratic, so we can hopefully get this country back on track.  Congress has been rebuilding the team for a few years now, and I think after one more year of Democratic wins, we'll have an impressive lineup that will be hitting plenty of RBIs and Homeruns.

I'll be voting this year for President as well; and I will not be voting for the hot headed 72 year old, who admits that he knows the military well, but that he isn't very well-versed in Economics.  This country doesn't need another fear-monger, war President.  It needs an intelligent, and diplomatic President who understands Economics during this recessionary period.  Besides, at 72 years old, I doubt that McCain will be waking up for a 3 am phone call, unless of course it coincides with his bowel movements.  ;D

People can vote for whoever they'd like, but I hope they will consider this country's decline over the last 8 years, and vote Democratic.  I will be.

Very well said - I still can't understand how people could possibly want the policies of the last 8 years to keep on going with the proof right in front of there faces that they have failed miserably :wacko:  GO DEM"S GO :flag:

WMUAngler

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27 AM »
I must say that the "koolaid" references are getting a little old.  Just because I stopped drinking the BS that Bush has been feeding us for 8 years, doesn't mean I'm a suicidal cult-member. Although Bush is not the lone cause of all of our nation’s problems, he has still proven how harmful a poor presidential choice can be.  Congress gave the President authorization to go to war if necessary; however, it was Bush and his administration that ultimately chose to start this unjust war.  Now there are hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians, and over 4000 dead American soldiers.  They have continually and intentionally misled the general public in order to accomplish these travesties, and I think the people are tired of it.  As I mentioned before, Democrats have been winning the majority of the elections since 2006, and it is because of this Administration’s failures. They have attacked our Constitutional rights, which should be a concern to every American.  They have ignored the Geneva Convention; which puts our members of the Armed Forces in even greater danger in the future. They have botched the operation in Afghanistan, strengthening the Taliban, as well as Al Qaeda. We have also seen our country’s worldwide reputation plummet under this Administration, and for good reason.  You can say that the President doesn’t really matter, and Congress is to blame for everything, but that would take a lot more ignoring than I’m capable of.  The Republicans used to have one thing going for them, Fiscal Responsibility; however, as this administration has demonstrated, they are even less fiscally responsible than the Democrats. I’ll admit to being a Bush supporter in 2000, but I’ve learned from my mistake.

WaterReaver

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 09:29 AM »
MN,

Don't be too appreciative...I respect GWB as a believer but I do not support a significant number of his decisions that he has made a president.  Though I generally support the Republican party due to their "overall" conservative record I do research each local/state/federal candidate before I vote, choosing those individuals whose records approximate my beliefs...either way, I would just assume start the born-again conservative party and lead a nationwide revival...alas, a pipe dream and nothing more.

WMU,

The "koolaid" comment was directed at anyone that believes that the president is solely responsible for the state of the economy...nothing more, nothing less.  However, I believe a history lesson is necessary to "enlighten" anyone who believes one party is superior to the other, enjoy the following:

Now there are hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians, and over 4000 dead American soldiers. 
Other then the 4,000 American soldiers (the responsibility of the president and congress), the majority of these deaths occurred under the oppressive rule of Saddam Huessin.  He was known to be a vendicitive dictator that would perpetuate mass genocide of religious groups contrary to his own.

They have attacked our Constitutional rights, which should be a concern to every American.  They have ignored the Geneva Convention; which puts our members of the Armed Forces in even greater danger in the future.
Do you understand what terrorism really is...it's against the Geneva Convention too, so how do you combat a combatant that doesn't follow the prescribed rules of engagement?  IED's, suicide bombers, flying planes into buildings, killing innocents, all against the Geneva Convention...sound familiar?

Let's play name that party:

George W Bush - Iraq conflict, Afghanistan conflict

Bill Clinton - Sexual immoral, liar, Bosnia

George Bush - Kuwait conflict

Richard Nixon - Watergate scandal, Vietnam War

John F. Kennedy - Sexual immoral, Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis

Harry S Truman - Dropped TWO devastating bombs, World War II

Franklin D. Roosevelt - Great Depression, World War II

Theodore Roosevelt - Roughriders, "Speak softly, carry a big stick"

Abraham Lincoln - Civil War

Jessie Jackson (<----I'm such an idiot)- War of 1812

Wow...for a young nation, we sure seem to be a warmongering, lover of violence.

Answers; from top down (R, D, R, R, D, D, D, D/BM, R, D)

WMUAngler

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 11:20 AM »

Jessie Jackson - War of 1812

If you're going to attempt to give history lessons, you should probably try to at least get the Presidents correct.  Let me, in turn, give you a little History lesson. 
James Madison was the President during the War of 1812.  Andrew Jackson became a national hero for his command during the war, and was later elected President.  Jessie Jackson is a Civil Right's activist that was born in the 1940's and was never President of the United States of America, despite two attempts at gaining the nomination.

Another history lesson:  The Republican Parties and the Democratic Parties have evolved continuously over our short history as a nation.  I don't know of many Historians that would argue that Lincoln's Republican Party was the same as the current Republican Party. 

Just because the terrorists don't follow the Geneva Convention, does not mean that Americans should sink to the Terrorist's levels.  I would hate to see Americans soldiers captured in future wars being referred to as "enemy combatants" and being tortured.  Lets also be very clear with one item that the Bush Administration has successfully blurred;  Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. 

I recommend reading Richard Clarkes "Against All Enemies" for a very insightful look at the lead up to the war in Iraq from a man who was part of it all.

Many estimates have the war in Iraq killing more Iraqi Civilians than Saddam did during his entire 20 years as the dictator.  Also of note, the U.S., under President Reagan supported Saddam Hussein with military intelligence that allowed Iraq to use Chemical Weapons against their Iranian enemies.

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Im voting for the one with the nicest Bass boat and who catches the biggest smallies!!!!!!!!
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

WaterReaver

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 12:59 PM »
James Madison was the President during the War of 1812.  Andrew Jackson became a national hero for his command during the war, and was later elected President.  Jessie Jackson is a Civil Right's activist that was born in the 1940's and was never President of the United States of America, despite two attempts at gaining the nomination.

I stand corrected...thank you!!  I knew it didn't look/sound correct, so I apologize.  8)

James Madison (R) - War of 1812

Andrew Jackson (D) - Appointed friends to high ranking offices, almosted impeached

I was not attempting to connect Iraq to 9/11...I was only referencing how a terrorist operates.  I will not argue that Iraq had virtually nothing to do with this event, other then harboring/funding terrorists groups in general.  Al'Queda and by virtue of location Afghanistan was the more appropriate target.

Regardless of how parties evolved over the 2+ centuries of our existence from Wigs, Republicans, Democrats, Bull Moose, Independent, etc., the fact remains that political rhetoric is useless.  The candidates whisper sweet-nothings into the voters ears while "wh*r**g" their votes to special interest groups (see $$$).  At least we have the opportunity to vote for the lesser of all evils...so don't forget to vote this November (and anytime a local/state election occurs).

WMUAngler

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Im voting for the one with the nicest Bass boat and who catches the biggest smallies!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately that's one issue that is never mentioned on their campaign pages.  We should request that one of the debates be turned into a Bass Fishing Tournament.  Or, in favor of the candidate that I'm endorsing, a basketball tournament.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.