FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Speed/temp Transducer  (Read 3503 times)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
Speed/temp Transducer
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:33 AM »
i got everything to hook up the transducer for the speed and temp readings on my fishfinder but cant find any info in where to place or install the unit on my transom...where is yours located?
Scotty 

FLAG

Re: Speed/temp Transducer
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:52 AM »
Scott,
Mine was located right beside my ducer, same height as the ducer. You will need to calibrate it once you have connected and I found that they are a pain as they are not accurate as far as speed goes.... :-\ I have my hand held GPS for speed to be as accurate as possible.

windwalker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:54 AM »
i got everything to hook up the transducer for the speed and temp readings on my fishfinder but cant find any info in where to place or install the unit on my transom...where is yours located?

Transducer#1= keel to starboard ? 16", so transducer#2= keel to port 16". = purdy fishtail.  ;D
LORD, GIVE ME STRENGTH
 TO CATCH A FISH, SO BIG, THAT NOT EVEN I,WHEN SPEAKING OF IT, WILL EVER HAVE TO LIE.

JDK

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 08:44 AM »
Mine is set up like windwalker.

I agree with Flag and have stopped using the paddle wheel speedometer.  The GPS is far more accurate.
# SAND

me0nat0

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:04 AM »
The only problem I've found with using a GPS speed is when in moving water, either a river section or near an inlet/outlet (or if you're in tidal water, which I'm not).  Generally don't do much trolling on the river, but there have been a few times on the lake with a steady breeze where my lures acted noticably different upwind and downwind even though the GPS said I was going to same landspeed.  But you guys are right, the paddle-style does not do a good job at lower speeds, or if there's a lot of junk in the water.  And if you're going fast when they are accurate, ususally the water current speed is negligible compared to underway speed. 

The only placement issues I've found are if you want the depthfinder to get a reading while underway, you need to have it placed so it stays in the water at speed and and isn't affected by lots of bubbles passing under the hull.  But where that is depends on each hull/power combo.  Probably anywhere as near the centerline as comfortable is best, then pray you don't run aground and shear it off. 

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:01 PM »
Windwalker has the right measurements providing that there is not a convex rib that will produce bubbles.
Flag is right on with the GPS for speed. The paddle is worthless if there's any current.

;D           ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

fishalot

• Let the little ones go to get BIG!!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 12:08 PM »
 We use the hand held GPS also. Plus you can retrace your tracks back to the zone. 8)
FISH ON !!!     

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 04:39 AM »
thanks for the replies guys...ive had it for a while and havent hooked it up pretty much for the reasons you all stated...ill prolly leave it on the shelf  ;D
Scotty 

Yukon Steve

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 07:15 AM »
GPS for me, I opted out of the paddle wheel accessory for the same reason when in moving water. I had one on my last boat and it always gave me a false reading.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.