FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ran 9.9 with choke half on!  (Read 2916 times)

bb243

Ran 9.9 with choke half on!
« on: Jun 06, 2008, 11:46 PM »
I somehow managed to run my 9.9 evinrude with the choke half on two weeks ago for a couple of hours.  I finally noticed the extra smoke and looked down and realized what I had done.  Anyways, for the last two weekends the engine runs like crap.  I pulled the plugs and put new ones in.  They were completely black.  I ran it again tonight and it still did not have any sack.  It sounds like it is running fouled. 

My question is how can I clean it out?  I ran it for a while tonight full throttle and could only get about 3 mph.  I normally can get up to 10 to give you an idea.  I pulled the plugs and again they are fouled, though not as bad as the others.  Did I do permanent damage to it or is it just really fouled? 

Just an FYI, I also had a new NGK plug that had a gap way off right out of the box.  So check your gaps before you throw a plug in!

Any ideas on how I can get this running back to normal? It has always been a great little workhorse and ran at any speed perfectly.

thanks.

Bailbuster

Re: Ran 9.9 with choke half on!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2008, 05:47 AM »
Maybe running it with the choke on, it pulled more vac and sucked some crap up into the carb I would start there or if it has a fuel filter start there.Next ? are both plugs firering?If not its a coil problem.But it really sounds like there is crap in the High speed jet.BB

bb243

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Thanks BB.  I do have spark in both cylinders.  I am going to check the fuel filter and get some carb cleaner and see what happens.  I'll let you guys know if it is anything more than a simple cleaning.  I still cannot believe I did it or how I did it!

MrMarty51

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2008, 11:38 AM »
It might be the engine is carboned up.IF! all else fails I would try running some carbon remover through the engine while it is running.
I would try clean plugs several times before doing the carbon removal process.
Keep in mind though that the bearings on the 2 stroke are lubricated with the oil in the fuel mixture so I would`nt spray in too much at a time.
Some car engines in the mid 80s were prone to carbon build up and we would remove carbon by running a pop bottle full of water through it while running the engine around 2500 rpms and the steam would pop the carbon out of the combustion chambers and leave them running like new.

"Every hour a person spends fishing is not taken from their lives"
                   Quote from Grant Boyson

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2008, 06:52 AM »
First throw out those NGK's (no good krap) plugs. Believe it or not Champions are the best for small engines. It doesnt sound like a plugged carb as the plugs are fouling. Make sure you have a fresh tank of gas. Be carefull where you get your gas from as some blended gas isnt good for outboards. Those older engines are preset jetting for old fashoned gas and gas only not alchole blend which you will need fatter jetting which is impossible with a carb like that sense it has fixed jets. By the sound of the plug reading you gave of just black high carbon  your problem is electrical start with fresh GOOD plugs and go from their. If the spark from plugs is not a bright blue and intense back track to coils. Take them off and look for cracks or mist coil while running with water from a spray bottle dont flood them with water just a mist will do. See if the engine reacts to that. Then from their it is the stator lots of bucks to invest. I would seriously think of takeing to a shop where they have the tools to check all the other components before you change them. Just start with the plugs and go from there.
Coldfeet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

bb243

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2008, 03:10 PM »
thanks guys.  I did end up taking it to the shop.  I ran it for 4 or 5 hours on Saturday out of the water and not in gear.  It seemed to be getting better with every change of plugs, but then I went fishing with it sat night and it was doing the same thing.  I checked spark, jetting, cleaned the carbs with some spray, and nothign seemed to matter.  With gas at over $4 a gallon here I figured I should just take it somewhere and get it fixed right.  it is not worth trailering the boat to lakes and not have my trolling motor working.  I'll let you know what the problem was and how much they take me for then I get it back.

Thanks again for the advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.