FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old johnson motor questions  (Read 1607 times)

Marcus

old johnson motor questions
« on: Mar 27, 2009, 04:50 PM »
I have an early 70's 35 HP johnson motor I am trying to get running. Me and a buddy worked on it for a bit but we are stumped. When I take the spark plugs out and try to turn it over it spins over no problem , but when we put the plugs in I could neither pull (which i usually can) or cannot get the electric start to start the motor. Feels like too much compression? really like to get this figured out

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: old johnson motor questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2009, 06:22 PM »
 your exaust may be plugged tight. Mud sand and clamshell bits can do it.

Engines either sieze or loose compression at the end, I have never seen one gain compression. ???

I have the service manual for '73 to '90 Johnson-Evinrude 2 to 40 horse if you need specs

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
Re: old johnson motor questions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Your engine should have a compression release mechanism on it.  It usually rides in a track on your manual starter, and moves a lever left and right to operate poppit valves that are on the cylinder head.  This unit only operates while starting the engine, and releases the compression, making it easier to start.  Check your engine and see if it has this item.  If it does, check its operation to see if it is operating properly and actually opening the little poppit valves.  If you have any questions, PM me.  I have been working on OMC products for around 30 years, and will give you all the help I can via email. 
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.