FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steering wheel locked up, fix suggestions???  (Read 14091 times)

pikie

Steering wheel locked up, fix suggestions???
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Anyone have there steering wheel lock up on their boat?  I started getting my boat ready this week and noticed the steering was seized.  I found 2 grease attachments on the motor end and used a grease gun to lube them up (Wish I had done this every year).  I also disconnected the steering arm from the motor and the motor does turn freely, so its the cables, not the motor.

Its a 1979 seanimph, 18 ft fish and ski with a 70 hr johnson.  The steering is one big fat (maybe 1.5 inch in diameter) cable that bolts into the motor mount.

I've tried forcing it...but not too hard...  I've also tried hitting the pin that moves by the motor with a rubber mallet to try and free it up, no luck.  I did notice it was stiff the last few years, but since this is strictly a fishing boat, I didn't really care...I do now. 

Any ideas short of replacing the steering?  I did borrow a heat gun that I'm thinking of trying on it, but haven't had a chance to yet.

icechunk

• The eyes have it
Re: Steering wheel locked up, fix suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Seems to me I read a thread about this. They said the salt causes it and its a pretty common problem. The fix was brut force I.E. a big hammer.  I would call your boat guy.
And God said "Let there be Fish"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:15 PM »
It's most likely a Teleflex if it's a single cable system. In that case you can remove the cable and steering box and get into it. Sounds to me like the cable is seized in the sheath. This can be cleaned and re-lubed to make it work. It's not a complicated mechanism.

Don't try to force it. You will strip the gear that acts on the cable...then you're into a new box.

Once you've extracted the steering box there's 3 or 4 screws that join the 2 halves of the box. Remove these screws and separate the box. This will allow you to pull the cable out of the sheath from the motor end. It's not really a cable but looks more like a coiled steel spring, Clean the cable with odorless mineral spirits and re-lube with a good cold temp grease.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the actuator arm and the inside of the tube where it attaches to the motor.I've cleaned the inside of the sheath on mine using a fish tape and a piece of cloth with mineral spirits. Works pretty well.

Hope this helps,
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

pikie

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I did get it to loosen up enough to fish last weekend, but I'm afraid the cause of the problem is still there.  I will follow your advice for the steering section.  This is where i think the problem is.  I was able to get to the cable by the motor and clean it out good/relube.  When I turn the motor manually from the back, I see that the cable bends right by the steering wheel only.  So I'm pretty sure the problem is in the wheel part itself.  It looks like you describe (coiled spring at the end of the wheel attached to a enclosed case).  Hopefully it will work, thx again.

pikie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I just re-read your post.  Looks like your saying the cable itself is a coiled spring, got it now.  Hopefully there won't be any big surprises.  Thx again.

Drifter_016

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:12 PM »
I had this happen and it is usually where the cable runs through the motors tilt tube.
Disconnect the steering connection (port) on the motor and then loosen the large nut on the starboard side and slide the cable out of the tilt tube. Try the steering now if it is smoother and not as tight there is probably rust in the tilt tube and on the cable end that connects to the steering mech on the motor. Clean up with some emory cloth, reinstall and grease. If your steering is still tight you will need to replace the cable (about $100 or so).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2009, 03:23 PM »
The steering box isn't complicated. PM me if you have any problems. Maybe I'll be able to help.

Good luck :thumbup_smilie:
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.