FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 157319 times)

Chucker

Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 07:28 AM »
I like the baskets for veggies.  Sometimes easier than a kabob.  Just coat lightly with olive oil, and put  some cherry tomatoes in it, along with peppers and onions.  Can toss my basket to move the veggies around.

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 07:41 AM »
the cedar used for closets, is not kiln dried, as is most red cedar you see. i'll have to see if my brother can rip a few pieces for me. he manages a fence company. ;)
Red or white cedar used for fencing, siding etc.... is perfect. Thats where I get all my planks from.

I'll have to post some pics of the last rotisserie turkey I smoked in the barrel.
Green branches trimmed from maple and fruit trees work really well for smoking too.

Nor Easter

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 01:14 PM »
I posted about aromatic cedar thinking it was toxic and did it as a joke. I learn something new every day!  8)

This excerpt was taken from here
The incredible smoky flavors of wood such as Western Red Cedar, Alder, Sugar Maple, Hickory, Mesquite and Oak from old wine barrels can be infused into your favorite foods as you grill or bake. We highly recommend western red cedar as our choice of wood for plank cooking. It can be used for all types of fish, beef, chicken, pork, even fruits and vegetables.

I went to 3 places after my first post and found Home Depot had the Alder planks @ 2 small planks for $9!!!   :o

I'll go to a lumber yard next and come up with something a little less expensive... Thanks for the tips.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 06:58 PM »
I just love this ;D

I had a fish basket...didn't like it too much. I use the expanded aluminum "trays" for stuff that falls through or apart. A little shot of something like PAM and NO Sticking!  I'm looking for a tumbling basket for my rotisserie. I want to be able to put wings,veggies and the like in it.

Grilling is just a form of cooking. It doesn't matter if it's a hot dog or a standing rib roast...it's good!

Cooking, for me, is a year round thing. I love my bride....been married 38 years...she's a lousy cook. I had to say it...she (fortunately) does not read this. Now that it's just the 2 of us, I have the luxury of experimenting a lot more than when the kids were still home.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I just love this ;D

I had a fish basket...didn't like it too much. I use the expanded aluminum "trays" for stuff that falls through or apart. A little shot of something like PAM and NO Sticking!  I'm looking for a tumbling basket for my rotisserie. I want to be able to put wings,veggies and the like in it.

Grilling is just a form of cooking. It doesn't matter if it's a hot dog or a standing rib roast...it's good!

Cooking, for me, is a year round thing. I love my bride....been married 38 years...she's a lousy cook. I had to say it...she (fortunately) does not read this. Now that it's just the 2 of us, I have the luxury of experimenting a lot more than when the kids were still home.

RG

my ex couldn't cook either! good thing i could! :P

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Nor Easter

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 04:59 AM »
good thing i could!
Well there's an opinion if I ever did see one...  :)

Seems it used to be they wanted you to cook the steaks, now it's you gotta do it alllllll...

When does the hobby become the obsession?!?!  :laugh:

OTIS

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Thanks RG!  Just in time for the holiday weekend... 8)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 03:35 PM »
You're welcome. I'll be grilling up a storm this weekend. Haven't quite decided what yet, but, I have ribs, wings, shrimp and ample quantities of crappies in the freezer. I may pick up a couple of lobsters and really have some fun.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 07:20 PM »
You're welcome. I'll be grilling up a storm this weekend. Haven't quite decided what yet, but, I have ribs, wings, shrimp and ample quantities of crappies in the freezer. I may pick up a couple of lobsters and really have some fun.

RG
i also have some crappies. any suggestions?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2009, 01:52 AM »
Whatever you do...don't eat them....package them up immediately and send them to me. I'll assist you with proper disposal.  :whistling:

If you're gonna grill them, do them fast and hot. I'd hit them with salt, pepper, lemon juice and a very light brushing, or spray with olive oil. They're a very light tasting fish, much like sole. They'll fall apart on you if you don't use something like those expanded aluminum grates. Be sure to soak them in very cold water before you grill.

Try topping them with some warm salsa when served.

YUM!
Rg

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2009, 02:25 AM »
 You guys have got me so hungry, I'm thinking about nawing on the walleye I just got! My 2 cents, I like apple wood for smoking fish! I'm not the greatest at grilling fish yet, steaks no problem, but fish are tricky for me! THANKS for the IDEAS!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2009, 06:15 AM »
Whatever you do...don't eat them....package them up immediately and send them to me. I'll assist you with proper disposal.  :whistling:

If you're gonna grill them, do them fast and hot. I'd hit them with salt, pepper, lemon juice and a very light brushing, or spray with olive oil. They're a very light tasting fish, much like sole. They'll fall apart on you if you don't use something like those expanded aluminum grates. Be sure to soak them in very cold water before you grill.

Try topping them with some warm salsa when served.

YUM!
Rg

thanks rg, i'll try that.

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2009, 02:17 PM »
I'm looking for a tumbling basket for my rotisserie. I want to be able to put wings,veggies and the like in it.
RG, you gotta let me know if you find a tumbling basket for the rotisserie. I have thought about one of those every time I have to turn a big batch of wings. Never found one though.... >:(
The closest I have seen are the barrel shaped rib racks.
I was thinking about trying my welding skills out and building one. We'll see.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2009, 05:54 PM »
I'm looking...nothing quality yet.I'll let you know.

What's everybody cooking this weekend? I'm doing some chicken right now as a warm up.

Snagger, thanks for the tip on smoking woods. I have a neighbor up the raod the piece who has a yard load of apple wood...time for a visit ;D

I don't know where to find some alder...any suggestions?
RG

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2009, 06:42 PM »
I have always bought alder chips in a bag. I don't even know what an alder tree looks like! ;D

The Luhr Jensen "little chief" brand has always worked for me. I buy it at a store called Mills Fleet Farm (AKA: The man mall). Most places that sell smokers should have it. It is fairly inexpensive.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.