FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mercrusier spark.....I need help  (Read 3112 times)

Deebsey

Mercrusier spark.....I need help
« on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:54 AM »
I have acquired another boat its a 1977 Glastron ssv 189 with a inline 6 merc. The kicker is there is no spark so I replaced the coil still no spark.....Asked the guy at the parts store and he sold me another coil but made sure this time it was one that didn't need a external resister hooked that up and still no spark. Ran a new wire from the key directly to the coil and still no spark. Installed a new key switch and still no spark.  This thing is driving me nuts.   Now what should I do replace the points, distributor, sell the boat before my head explodes????? Anyone have any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
A bad day fishing is a good excuse as to why your drunk

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Mercrusier spark.....I need help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Is it a ford in disquise? Most of those mercrusers were ford or chevy engines painted black. If it is a ford, look for the ignition box. it will have a cluster of wires running from the distributor to it. It should be an aluminum box, 6''x6'', about 2'' thick. A chevy will have a smaller thing attached to the distributor.

Unless you still have points.....

Deebsey

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Is it a ford in disquise? Most of those mercrusers were ford or chevy engines painted black. If it is a ford, look for the ignition box. it will have a cluster of wires running from the distributor to it. It should be an aluminum box, 6''x6'', about 2'' thick. A chevy will have a smaller thing attached to the distributor.

Unless you still have points.....

Sorry its a chevy base block.  And yes its still has points.  Was told to upgrade to electric at about $400 or so.  Want to see it run and drive it to see if I wanna keep it or pass it.
A bad day fishing is a good excuse as to why your drunk

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2009, 02:03 PM »
replace the points and condesor then. I would bet that one of those two things are the problem. It should be a very cheap fix.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:00 AM »
As Skipper said Replace the points and condensor. 99% of the time the condensor looses power all together and then no spark results. The points useally arent the problem but double check them for wear or pitting. At this point just replace them and set the gap accordingly. At the age of this motor changing the coil was wise but go the rest of the way and change the points and condensor and get 2 sets of each one for a spare.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

Flooner

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Also check: Cap(carbon tracking,moisture,cracks) coil wire (arcing, broken conductor) voltage to coil,wiring to points (small short will kill spark) rotor (worn or corroded) A very simple and efficient ignition system with a little maintenance and no hugely expensive parts to buy. Let me know if you can't get it. My buddy is the best there is with those critters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.