FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I could see Lake Erie...Just couldn't cast far enough!  (Read 7185 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
I was working on lights on a 120' tower in Lorain Ohio. I could see the boats out there...I know they were killing the walleye ::) . All I could do was watch.

Oh yeah...It was a climbing tower...no lift for me :-\

Looking down at a 60' boom lift on the ground.

Some perspective. That's a train car and the 60' lift going up at the base.

And way off in the distance...the walleye :'(

Nice view though ;D
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Stuck-on-Seven

Re: I could see Lake Erie...Just couldn't cast far enough!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2009, 11:33 PM »
sweet pics....thats a little too high for me.....i give ya a lot of credit to do that everyday for your job.

Spitfire

• A.K.A." Double-L" on I.S.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2009, 05:09 AM »
   RG, you're gonna have to move that tree stand; Unless you're hunting for "BOXCARS". ;D...... Lou
CATCH & RELEASE  "For Another Day"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2009, 05:50 AM »
I was thinking that.....what a great spot to shoot deer from...my 25-06 with the 16-42 x 55mm night forces could really reach out and touch them. I bet I could do 6-700 yards easy...except for the swaying tower.

There were a lot of boats milling around off the Lorain beaches and further west to Avon Lake. Anyone here live out that way? I have to go back at some point to do some finish up stuff.  I'll buy bait, gas and dinner ;D

BY the way, I don't climb every day. Actually, it's pretty rare. Most of my time is spent troubleshooting. We just don't have anyone we trust up there. There's not much room for error. Drop a pair of pliers and someone could be killed. Not to mention a 25lb ballast core.

On a sadder note, that huge building is an empty Ford plant. Probably 6-7 million square feet. I was told they built vans there.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

edmonds

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2009, 06:07 AM »
Man that is high up.  You definitely have a huge set on you.  I don't think I could go up there.  Nice view and great pics.  Whats the highest tower you have been on?

Neptune

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Hey RG, what is the highest tower you've had to scale and work on?

I use to be a Tower Jockey a while back, biggest tower I had to scale was a Non-guide 250' cell tower...It was in the fall and on top of a mountain...when I got almost to the top where I had to work, it was below freezing and boy was that fun!!!

Great pictures!

skulldugary

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2009, 11:09 AM »
I seen Erie everyday for 28 years but never from that kind of alltitude...

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Great pics. Did a little climbing back 30+ years ago working with telephone cable. Worked with some guys that could really climb and work up high. Would love to climb something like that if ever given a chance. I have a friend that use to build high tension towers for electric lines. He built his own tower in the backyard to play on. His kid has been climbing on that since he was three or four!!! (Safety first.)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2009, 12:08 PM »
150 is my tallest to date. I doubt I'll get much past that. My price goes up in 25' increments and my boss is too big a cheapskate to send me over that ::)

I've seen some pretty rough guys freeze at 20'. Had one poor guy totally freeze on the decent from a 60 footer. He was fine going up...couldn't come down. Had to go up after him and talk him down

250 is waaaaay up there. How long did you take to make the top? What were you doing when you got there?

My biggest problem with this type of work is the ground guy. Not many you can trust to even tie a knot. On the 150' I was doing 1000w ballast replacements and was able to safely chuck the old cores off the tower. They left a 2' diameter crater in the railroad bed where they hit. 20lbs, compact and lots of speed. It was pretty cool to see them hit.

The neat part is the oscillation of the pole when you're moving around. Everyone thinks they just sway. Sway is easy to deal with, oscillation will get the best nauseous.

RG

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2009, 12:42 PM »
RG, had a great aunt that lived in Lorain. Been to the beach couple times but never fished it! Havent been there since I was a kid.  Brings back some good memories though! Later-Deadeyez
Nice job findin em

Grumpyoldman

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Job can't be too boring from the looks of it.   

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2009, 02:55 PM »

My hands sweat just climbing the fire tower on Bald Mountain. ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2009, 03:07 PM »
looks cool RG! we had a light tower at a now long gone ford plant,(mahwah,n.j.) about 150 feet. some of us climbed it at night. too many people around during the day.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Have done the Bald Mountain fire tower twice, but not in about 15 years... dont mind heights myself as long as my footing is on something stable (like my ladder stand).... never climed any ladders over 3 stories before (and that was intense)

Zorros shack

• This account is closed.
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Two of my favorite things trains and fish!!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.