FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: motor weight vs. HP hull rating  (Read 3158 times)

double-aught

motor weight vs. HP hull rating
« on: Sep 30, 2009, 09:16 AM »
i have a 15HP 4 stroke that weighs about as much as a 40HP 2 stroke.
my buddy has a smallish (narrow) 14' aluminum boat. i'm not sure of the HP rating for his boat, but i doubt it's more than 15.
so, my motor would't over power it, but would it be too heavy?
are the hull ratings intended so boats wouldn't be over powered or wouldn't be over weighted?
smaller 4 strokes are relitively new to the scene, and his boat is from the the 60's or early 70's.
thanks for any advice you might have.

Spitfire

• A.K.A." Double-L" on I.S.
Re: motor weight vs. HP hull rating
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2009, 01:02 PM »
   I'm not an expert/ but I don't believe that it would be too much HP.???......Just remember to always use "common sense".......You don't have to run the motor @ full throttle......Pretty sure that the boat will let you know if it is overpowered or not?.......I'd be willing to bet that the 15hp would be more than enough & used properly , make a very nice rig....My 2 cents,   Lou
CATCH & RELEASE  "For Another Day"

double-aught

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2009, 01:46 PM »
thanks for the input, but i'm more worried about excess weight on the transom. i'm no speed demon,  so power isn't a factor other than having enough to get the boat up on plane.
we just want to fish.

floatinwoody

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2009, 01:52 PM »
you can beef up the transom if needed , but a 15 hp..even a 4 stroke wouldn't be as much a 40 2stroke. Your fine if the transom is good.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2009, 12:56 PM »
the horsepower rating is more for safe control of the vessel and pull on the transom . weight is not a factor . the weight of the motor is only an issue if the boat is unbalanced...you may need to put some weight in the bow if you're all alone
Scotty 

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Also, what kind of shape is the transom in? If it's in good solid shape I would think you'd be fine. Put it on the boat and work the motor around as if you're driving it and see how much wiggle room the transom has in it. If you get any bending and such of the transom board then replace the transom board.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

BBK

« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Also remember that it is a coast guard law that you do not go over the max HP rating. Better hope the DNR doesn't check it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.