FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Springtime river crappies  (Read 4408 times)

mrcrowley138

Springtime river crappies
« on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:48 PM »
I realize this is quite premature, and there won't be a whole lot of active members around until the thaw, but I was just wondering where I should start looking for crappies after ice out.    I'm getting a little antsy for spring, and want to have a good gameplan ready.  In the fall we were catching them on some riprap right on the main channel of the Mississippi.  Since the rocks will warm the water relatively quickly in comparison to other areas, do you think this would be a good place during the spring?  A little more info on the spot:  It's made up of fairly large cement slabs with a current break from shore out about two or three yards.  Lots of snags/potential cover.  We were catching the crappies on bottom about a yard or so from shore using jigs and carolina rigs both tipped with minnows.  The water will obviously be higher in the spring, so would that have an effect on things?   I'm also curious about walleye and sauger at this same area, as we also picked up a few of them a little further out.  Any info would be great.  I'm just wondering if I'm looking in the right direction, or if I would be better off hitting the backwater bays or something.  Thanks in advance. 

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
Re: Springtime river crappies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:24 PM »
In the Spring time in New York I fish backwater bays in the Oneida River along current breaks. Avg FOW 7-3 ft.
Fish along the breaks for sure. I fish with Minnows on a 1/32 Oz Blaze Orange color. 24-12 inchs under the bobber. As it gets later like at the end of april and the whole month of May I fish timber (trees) and sunken dock anything they can spawn on. I found out that the older the tree the better! When your River ices off and you can drive your boat freely you want to look for a water temp 37degs in the breaks. I have caught them at 36degs but 37,38 are the magic numbers.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

slipperybob

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Sprintime river backwater are about 5-10 feet where I try for them.  Early morning and late evenings the crappies will come to about 1-4 fow.  They also like to hang out in the current breaks next to the rocks.  Can usually find a few of the larger ones there.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

infectedtoe1952

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2010, 06:57 AM »
im talking black lake in the spring but i use small tube jigs under a bobber and everyday its different. ive caught them on rocks,timber,mud bottom and even out in the middle of the bays staged up. the males come in ist and the larger hens will stage on any breakline waiting for the urge or right temp. find the right situation and its limit time in a short time.

Flukeman

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2010, 04:38 PM »
I'm going to Black lake in a couple of weekends for some bullheading at night and crappie fishing by day. They have bested me for four years in a row now. Bring it on you crafty little crappie critters for year five!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.