FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Motor  (Read 3031 times)

Grandpa Jack

Trolling Motor
« on: May 24, 2004, 12:08 PM »
Has anyone had any experience shortening the shaft on a Minn Kota 40 lb. force trolling motor. Mine is way to high & needs to be shortened.Sure could use some advice.thanks GJ

Jigwiggler

Re: Trolling Motor
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2004, 04:42 PM »
GJ,

What is the shaft of your MK made of?  You are more than likely only going to have 2 wires running through the shaft.  I would carefully cut out the amount  of tubing you wish to eliminate (taking care not to harm the internal wiring) then split and remove.  If there is sufficient room to "stuff" the leftover wire into the shaft that is what I would do.  A splice could be problems down the road but if there is no room, may be your only option.  I would then fashion a "sleeve" from a larger piece of tubing or pipe and place it over both ends of the shaft and clamp it in place.  Muffler clamps would probably work nicely.  The other option is to have and experienced welder attach the two remaining pieces after you have removed the proper amount.  The only problem I see with this is the amount of heat caused by welding may melt the insulation on your wires.  That is a question you would have to ask an experienced welder which I am not.  ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.