FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Re-build  (Read 6693 times)

TPB

• bad day of fishing beats any day at work
Boat Re-build
« on: Apr 06, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Hey guys, I'm in the process of rebuilding my boat to make it a little more fishing friendly but still useable for family cruising with some cumfort.  I tore out all the old seats.  The drivers side was totaled, which was what started this in the first place.  My plan is to add 4 seats on pedestals to replace the ones i took out, and I'm making myself a casting platform up front.  This way if I'm fishing alone, or with a buddy,  I can pull the seats and have a ton of room.  The question I have, is can I drill a hole in what I would call a "false floor"?  The old seat frame was screwed to this floor.

Now, this is what I wanted to use, or something similar.  But it would require drilling a hole in the floor to except the pin from the pedestal.

I have a plate of 1/4" aluminum that I was planning on drilling and tapping these bases down too and then, i had planned to epoxy the plate to the floor and fiberglass it in.  The other option I was looking at was this, but I think it would be a tripping hazard if the seats weren't in.  And all I need is someone going overboard when we go to land the big one.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/BoatingAccessories/PRDOVR~0794404P/Seat%252BBase.jsp

So what do you guys think?  Am I good to go on drilling in the floor or should I go with the above floor style?  Thanks guys and if you can help me out that would be great and if you need more pictures or anything please let me know.

It's easier to beg forgiveness that to get permission

mongosmash

tight lines and wet flies

mongosmash

Re: Boat Re-build
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2010, 12:18 PM »
nope it wont let me load it in

TPB

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2010, 04:09 PM »
A couple progress pics.

As you can see I took a 7 pin trailer plug and made a through hull power point for my trolling motor.  I have #6 wire feeding from 2 batteries at the back of the boat.  I took this and soldered 3 #10 leads on to the feed from the batteries and on the trolling motor so I could make use of 3pins in the connector for positive and negative.  Going to take it out this week and test it out to see how it stands up and actually see what the amperage is at full throttle.  Probably try something similar for an onboard charging system, we'll see what I come up with.

mongosmash

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2010, 06:58 PM »
man that looks like you have it will under control. looks like it's going to be a job well done.

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2010, 04:17 PM »

Looking Good.....One suggestion for your Bow Light.....since it isn't higher then your electric trolling motor the Marine Police might give you a hard time
or even a  ticket.
 Check out removable Raised Pedastal Bow Lights and the Plug in Socket at your Marina.

If your Electric Trolling Motor comes off the mounting bracket easily then run with it off at low light hours.
 Just trying to save you the money of a ticket so you have more money to GO FISHING.

Bob

TPB

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Trolling motor slides off with one screw.  I'm really trying to keep everything quickly removable so it can go from run about, to fishing in 5 to 10 minutes.  I'll post a few more pics in a week or so when i get the new carpet and seats in.  Plus rod holder, anchor lock and downrigger.

TPB

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Man I hate having time on my hands, I just sit around and dream up stuff to try with the boat.  Well after making that flush mount plug for the trolling motor I decided I really didn't like the look of my original rod holder set up.  So I ordered up some flush mount ones.  I think they look way better.

And as you can see I also added a second one up front for me to put my anchor lock into, or if need comes up a second down rigger.  I have one holder on the back port side, and I added in another one on the starboard side.  The one that I added on the starboard side I made the under plate extra large as I plan on using this spot for my down rigger 99% of the time.

I put smaller plates under all the other ones just to help spread the load as well.  Then when I was sitting there I cam up with the idea for a storage bim under my casting platform, so am going to tear it out and re build it tomorrow.  We'll see how she goes.

TPB

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Well I finished my redone casting platform.  It;s pretty close to finished up front except for the fish finder and anchor lock.  I'm looking at a Garmin 160c to mount on her.  I want it more for depth, including a shallow alarm to protect the trolling motor, and being able to find the thermocline.  well here's a few photo's of my casting platform.

I also managed to get the drivers seat installed, I would have done the rest but i took all the bases in town.

The seat looks a little low in the picture but it works out perfect for me.  The old one had me looking right at the top bar of the window, so i either had to crouch or sit on my knees, this one puts me looking right through the middle of the window.
also started on the radio, should have it complete tomorrow i hope.

mongosmash

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2010, 01:10 PM »
man i'll tell you thst i think your dong a great job. i have one ? thought why did you mount the plugs in the top of the gunnel and not the side where it looks like you have room to fit them. i'd think they be prone to hold water, just a thought. but the boat looks great and nice job.

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Nice job! Looks like you put a lot of thought and Bud Light into it...lol ;) Good work

TPB

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:26 PM »
To be completly honest I never thought about the plug filling up with water.  I basically sat in a little chair where I thought my pedestel would be and just tried to lay things out so they would be easy to grab, use, ect.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure I'm going to come up with more ideas as soon as I'm done.  I'll probably end up tearing it apart next winter and redoing it after using it for a summer and seeing what works and what doesn't.  I hope to have her 90% done tomorrow so I can take her out and give it a try.  All I should be waiting on is a few more seats/seat bases but if it comes down to it a lawn chair will work, I have my seat covered!  ;D  Well I got the deck in and am now working on the gauges and switches and then all that is left is basically just the wiring.  Well here's a few more pics.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.