FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat will not get up on Plane.. Grrrrrr.  (Read 14851 times)

MaineNative71

Boat will not get up on Plane.. Grrrrrr.
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:59 AM »
With two guys in the boat (16' 10" Aluminum, 50HP Yamaha 4-Stroke) it will not get up on plane... 4000 RPM's plowing water 9 MPH.  13p Prop.  I have had plenty of boats in the past so it is not an operator error..  If I have my buddy go to the front of the boat it gets up on plane and I can get 28 MPH @ 5500 RPM's.. Once on Plane he can return to the seat and it stays on plane... I wouldn't say the boat is overloaded and I mounted the trolling motor batteries approx in the front 1/3 of the boat..  I am thinking this may be a prop pitch issue..

Any advice, ideas or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks Guys..

FishingNewEngland

Re: Boat will not get up on Plane.. Grrrrrr.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:04 AM »
I'm not sure if this will help but it's a product made by a buddy of mine.

http://www.thesmartrail.com/
Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

1fish@atime

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Sounds like pitch. I thought until reading it will get on plane that you may have a spun hub. Also take it you have tried the trim?  Long shaft on a short transom?

Lifeguard

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:18 AM »
This is supprisingly easy to fix.  Last year I bought a 2009 Legend Xcaliber with a Merc 115 HP 4-Stroke, and was amazed at how difficult it was to get the boat to plane, even with only a couple people in it.  It would take 15-20 secs, but once on plane it ran like a top.  I contacted my dealer about it, because I thought that maybe something wasn't right with the motor, and he sold me a hydrofoil.  A little sceptical I installed it and tried it.  Wow, what a difference!!!  If you buy just one accessory for  your boat, make it this one.  Planes instantly now, and also planes at a lower speed.  The bow barely rises anymore, the whole boat just kind of lifts and is on plane.  Doesn't seem to affect top end either.  My hydrofoil is a Stingray XP1, but they make several different models.  Go to Cabelas or Basspro and read some customer reviews on them and decide which one is right for you.

J Man

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I had a problem getting on plane last year. It turned out to be an easy fix in my case. I have a 40 hp suzuki 2 stroke. There is a component of the mounting bracket that when engaged, does not allow the motor to drop to the lowest pitch. It is for running in shallow water in case the lower unit hits something. When i disengaged this component, and the motor was able to drop a little lower in the water (closer to the transom), and it got up on plane no problem. I am not familiar with your motor, but this might give you one more thing to investigate.

J-

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2010, 01:13 PM »
If you have foam bouyancy, you may have waterlogged material too...

Pretty common if the boat is stored without a cover, etc.  Seems like it should get up and rip just fine with a 50-horse on a boat that size.  If its aluminum, you might want to take a peek under the floorboards?

9mph sounds like a really heavy boat to me- since it is still winding up the RPMs.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

slabspanker

• i love wood and wood products
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2010, 03:15 PM »
prop pitch had me messed up for a while

KingPerch

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2010, 03:31 PM »
You beat me to punch buddy!!! I was going to say the same thing, had a similiar incident this past summer with water, forgot to remove the plug when we got chased off in a rainstorm!!!! ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Great minds, KPers...  Great minds...   8)
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.