FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling for trout from a kayak or canoe  (Read 4068 times)

33Canuck

trolling for trout from a kayak or canoe
« on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:42 AM »
So a buddy and I have been out a few times now and marking lots of fish so I know they are there.  I have employed all my brookie trooling tactics  I know form the Dacks and then some and cannot get the buggers to bite.  Any information one techniques, tackle bait etc. from the pros out there would be greatly appreciated.  I saw one guy catch a nice brown trolling a purple Gulp worm on a bare hook with 2 split shot but I got to believe that was not the norm.

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
Re: trolling for trout from a kayak or canoe
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Do your normal trouting techniques include Wobblers or trees? One of the users here turned me onto running flies or streamers 12-18" behind them. It's produced 3-1 against everything else in my box combined.
I started having issues catching them on the troll when this heat started kicking in. Jighead/worm drifted and jigged off the bottom started catching them. Of course, Gulp if you like to go au natural or any resembling plastic.
One of my biggest brookies this year was caught when I was just fooling around. Worm...hook.
I'm far from a pro man. Just passing on some of the info I've sponged from here.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

Mearzy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Fun times man! I have been slaying brookies and rainbows from the yak, I slow troll spoons primarely right now as they deep at bottom.  I occassionally hit top with streamers morning and night but primarely catching the keepers down deep at 4 colors of lead core line and twice the length of your rod in flourocarbon leader with a swivel in between.  I have great luck with DB Smelts a sweet spoon made right here in NH, I hit them hard with there orange and one that is silver with a metallic blood red and lemon yellow line down center.  Also have had hits on a small speckled rainbow spoon and a good old red & white Red Devil Spoon, but I'd google DB Smelt Lures and find a dealer close to you. YOu'll Love em!

adkbrookie

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2010, 05:51 PM »
it might help if people knew where you are fishing...

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2010, 05:43 AM »
wobbler fly and a worm on the tip never failed me. also a little cleo red and gold spoon never fails. where are you fishing? also try some ledcore with a spinnerblade hook and a worm.

33Canuck

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2010, 06:40 AM »
We have been hitting Canadice lake south of Rochester.  I have ran wobblers with crawlers, wobblers with mutlipl streamers, a cleo blue and silver, straight streamers, have not tried a spinner crawler/streamer combo yet.  Maybe they just weren't in the biting mood the few times we were out.  Looks like tonight we may give a afternoon run a try hopefully we will get into some.

I'm from Malone and fished brookies in backwater ponds most of my life and always did great on wobblers and crawler rigs or trees. I know this time of year can get tough with water temps, but they got to feed at some point there seem to be a ton of fish at 20' in 40' of water at least that's what the sonar tells me.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2010, 06:59 AM »
whats  a  wobbler?
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

33Canuck

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Well they really are "wabblers" but most necks call them wobblers.  Do a google search you will find them.  Basically they are a big spoons, silver and gold ar the most popular in the adks, and most stores with tackle in the Dacks have them.  You can troll them with a hook or the most popular way is with a 12-18" leader nad crawler harness or streamer fly.  Troll slow so you get a good wobbler and even pull up and let it drop to get a good flutter which can trigger a strike.  Should work for brookies, lakers, browns, and bows although I haven't had much luck in fingerlakes with the browns and bows yet.  Hopefully that will change tonight!

1fish@atime

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2010, 01:13 PM »
Kind of hard to cast on a fly rod Trap...Though I have used them to troll with sinking fly line...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.